Pay for COA/Waivers?

Reaction score
The big rumor is that the FAA will be launching a new app, that could potentially give us 107 pilots instant authorization to fly in different airspace. I've heard the number 722,000 registered drones being kicked around. At $5 a pop, that's a pretty good wad of cash to get us a really nice app. I would be happy if they were free to certificated remote pilots, but I wonder if a pay system would be better. After all, you really do get what you pay for, in life...Most of the time, anyways.
What do you think?
Would you be willing to pay for an authorization or waiver?
Maybe a per-hour approach, or per day, perhaps...
I'd gladly pay $5 per waiver filed, if I got an approval in a timely manner, along with some help and guidance to smooth out the process.

TLDR:
I'd pay for better service versus a free program that is terrible, in short...

p3s- fishing
p4 Black- Inspections

Last edited:
I would be surprised if they charge for it. It would be part of their service and as much a benefit to the FAA and atc as to pilots.

Reactions: aermale
Even if you paid for it you'll wait. It's just the way the federal government works - SLOW. Cost does not equal speed in dealing with them. Especially if they lose the cash or check (Been there with permits that take months!), or they want more bureaucratic paperwork and ask more questions.

How many weeks or months did it take to get your 107 card for the $150 cost from the FAA? Now it just goes through more channels which slows it down even more than decades ago with a normal pilot's license.

Sounds like a great idea, but where did you hear about this?

It's been on several blogs and even Drone-U did a podcast about it a couple of days ago. The FAA has been talking about this for months on their avenues of Social Media.

Even if you paid for it you'll wait. It's just the way the federal government works - SLOW. Cost does not equal speed in dealing with them. Especially if they lose the cash or check (Been there with permits that take months!), or they want more bureaucratic paperwork and ask more questions.

How many weeks or months did it take to get your 107 card for the $150 cost from the FAA? Now it just goes through more channels which slows it down even more than decades ago with a normal pilot's license.

You're right ... $150 didn't speed much up at all, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl