Pack with Checked baggage or carry-on?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm traveling next week and would like to bring the Phantom with me. Has anybody had experience with bringing the Phantom aboard a plane. I ask because I've had awful luck with checking baggage, and this is what the airline is not liable for with checked baggage:

American does not assume liability for any of the following items in or as checked baggage: antiques, artifacts, artwork, books and documents, china, computers and other electronic equipment, computer software, fragile items (including child/infant restraint devices such as strollers and car seats), eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, non-prescription sunglasses and all other eyewear and eye/vision devices whether lenses are glass, plastic, or some other material, furs, heirlooms, keys, liquids, medicines, money, orthotics, surgical supports, perishable items, photographic, video and optical equipment, precious metals, stones or jewelry, securities and negotiable papers, silverware, samples, unique or irreplaceable items or any other similar valuable items.

They basically cover nothing.

Is there additional coverage anybody is aware of? I've found some, but not enough to cover the total cost of my equipment if it was lost. I'm not worried about damage, just loss.

Of course I would prefer to carry it on with me. But I'd prefer not to get to TSA and find out I can't bring RC aircraft aboard an airplane.

Anytime I fly my most important items go in the cabin with me where I can be in control of them at all times (electronics,etc). Take note, all batteries must be in the cabin with you, do not put your batteries in checked bags as it is again the rules/regulations.

My wife and I are headed to Hawaii this weekend and I am taking the Phantom. I bought a hard case which is carry on size so I can keep it with me. I also verified my island flights are on planes large enough to keep it with me then as well as long as there is overhead space.

I also purchased a padlock for locking it in the hotel room and a TSA lock just in case I end up having to check it after all for some reason. First time traveling with something like this myself.

I'd be interested to see how it goes with TSA as a carry-on. What could possibly go wrong?

I've contemplated travel with mine and had just about decided that for a stay somewhere of any length I'd probably be better off shipping it ahead (insured) with Fedex or UPS, unless it could be checked (insured) on my flight.

You might also try checking with TSA in advance but I've also seen articles which suggest every airport is like its own little TSA fiefdom ... despite what HQ may have told you, a given field office may deny you boarding with something.

Never had problems flying in the US. However, outside the US... Plenty of issues. I can't say the folks in Jordan or Afghanistan were too keen on letting the phantom into their country. I've done both check and carry on. Make sure if you check, you carry all the lipo batteries as it's illegal to check any lipos/li-on batteries and there are serious fines.

I don't think the TSA cares about RC things at all, honestly never even had them open the case. They just send it right through.

im leaving next week, Have fly from Newark nj - Zurich Switzerland - to Budapest Hungary

I have my Hard case and im taking Phantom with me.

How should i carry LiPo batteries ? can they be inside hard case or they must be in luggage ?

Thx

vrso2 said:
im leaving next week, Have fly from Newark nj - Zurich Switzerland - to Budapest Hungary

I have my Hard case and im taking Phantom with me.

How should i carry LiPo batteries ? can they be inside hard case or they must be in luggage ?

Thx

Britsh Airways have a limit for lipos in cabin baggage over a certain size over which you need to inform them. Google it, I saw a chart recently on ba.com

I flew Hong Kong to Switzerland last month with no issues. I carried it on in a "slim" Walkera briefcase style hard case. It's a pain because you have to take the legs etc off, but easier to manage when carrying other bags. On the way there, I had no issues, on the way back Swiss security did a check. It was simply because the girl didnt know what it was. Her supervisor looked at the image, and knew immediately. But since they had flagged it, they did a swab, and let me through after admiring it for a minute.

When you put your phantom through the scanner, open it up before you push it through. I've never had a problem with it. Took it across the US multiple times with no problems. Just make sure you make it look "safe". The only thing they'll question you about is the lipos, because they scan black on the xray.

The only time I've had a problem was when I was transporting a large, non-phantom quad with me through security. It was folded, with wires and ESC, motors hanging everywhere wrapped in Saran Wrap. They said it looked like a bomb. I agreed. lol. but they let me through after a swab test.

I took mine with me to Florida last year, the model was in a hard case and the LiPo's in a fire proof bags and sealed down, put these in carry on, split between wife and kid's, opened for custom's in UK and they were happy as they had never seen one before, in the States put model in the hold locked up, and showed custom's when the checked and got pasted through, and they were happy that the battery's were in a fire proof bag's. To top it all I was flying on the Dream Liner both way's.

vrso2 said:
is it enough just have them in my DJI hard case ?

I have 5 batteries.

Can i put them into luggage so they dont go thru security ?

FAA has strict rules about NOT checking lIpos. You must carry them on. Should not be an issue. If your really worried maybe you want to ship them ahead of your trip to your destination then ship them back home. See links provided for details...

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/safe-travel-batteries-and-devices

Reactions: Andy Thomas
I have flown four times in the States with the P2 and a GoProfessional case. Only time it caused any concern was at my hometown when boarding for a flight out. They wanted to see it but they were more curious than anything. Swabbed it and let it go. The GoProfessional case will fit S-80 class overheads easily. Smaller commuters may be a problem. I had to talk fast (but successfully) when taking an exit seat in a small commuter. The case would not fit the overhead and was sticking out too far under the seat in front of me but not enough for them to check it.

Do you check your rc unit or carry it on? I've been carrying mine on along with all batteries. seems like it's the best way to go.

So it appears carry on is the way to go. Do I need the special battery covers? Planning on bringing mavic pro and 4 batteries to Canada to video goose hunts
Thx

So it appears carry on is the way to go. Do I need the special battery covers? Planning on bringing mavic pro and 4 batteries to Canada to video goose hunts
Thx
Batteries ONLY travel in carry on bags. NEVER in checked baggage. Check with the carrier you are using for their LiPo rules. I have traveled with my drone by commercial carrier in the US and never had an issue getting on with multiple batteries.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Batteries ONLY travel in carry on bags. NEVER in checked baggage. Check with the carrier you are using for their LiPo rules. I have traveled with my drone by commercial carrier in the US and never had an issue getting on with multiple batteries.
My understanding is that TSA rules only prohibits lithium batteries over 100 watt/hour in checked baggage. Phantom batters are all well under that limit, I believe. Has an airline ever expressed a different policy?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen