P3S - can go far, can't go high

Reaction score
I've been flying the P3S for a few months and I keep having the same issue where the drone would go out far but can't go very high.
For example, I can go 200m forward but I lose signal at about 30m high. I don't stand right underneath the drone, I make sure it's in front of me and there are no obstruction. I'm at the beach or the park.

I'm using Lenovo A7 and I was using Galaxy s4 and iPad Mini1 prior. It seems weird that it could go forward so far yet won't go that high.

Any ideas as to why?

Thank you

I've been flying the P3S for a few months and I keep having the same issue where the drone would go out far but can't go very high.
For example, I can go 200m forward but I lose signal at about 30m high. I don't stand right underneath the drone, I make sure it's in front of me and there are no obstruction. I'm at the beach or the park.

I'm using Lenovo A7 and I was using Galaxy s4 and iPad Mini1 prior. It seems weird that it could go forward so far yet won't go that high.

Any ideas as to why?

Thank you

Did you adjust you antenna? Check this.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
yes absolutely, I've gone through all the tutorials on how the antenna should be positioned.

Any ideas as to why?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

Loose signal?

Remote control signal?
FPV signal (Live camera view) and or Telemetry?
WiFi signal to your mobile device?
Do you get a message on your app, if so what is exactly does it say?
Does it activate RTH, or ask you to if you should RTH?
Does the remote power light change color, like solid green, to red, or flashing red?

Lots of stuff going on.
I am trying to figure this stuff out my self.
;)

Rod

Reactions: gvsukids
Thanks for the help. I'v answered in red.

Remote control signal?
It says 'Signal Lost'. I can still use the remote to control the drone.

FPV signal (Live camera view) and or Telemetry?
The FPV does cut out, it all becomes grey

WiFi signal to your mobile device?
Not sure how to tell that this is the issue. Maybe, since I can still control the drone with the remote

Do you get a message on your app, if so what is exactly does it say?
Just says Signal Lost
Does it activate RTH, or ask you to if you should RTH?
Yes it does, but when I say yes, it fails
Does the remote power light change color, like solid green, to red, or flashing red?
Have not paid attention to that, I will next time. What happens if it does change?

Max Altitude - yes, it's set at 100m, but if that was the case, it should have just said that the limit was reached. I have a distance limit also, and it stops me.

Wow, I'm pressed with your answers.
In Short, your Phantom is receiving good signals from your remote, so if needed to do a RTH, use the left switch.

Since you loose FPV, (goes grey), do you loose your telemetry (data, altitude, distance, battery level, etc) at the same time or does that stay active?

When I loose FPV, I get a message of Weak or Lost Image. From some recent posts, I understand that the Image and the telemetry are sent to the remote on the same frequency but on two different channels. "Just says Signal lost" still confuses me.

I say the remote is in the middle.
Since you can still control the Phantom, the signal from the remote to the Phantom is good. The telemetry and FPV is sent to the remote as data, then that data is sent to the mobile device and DJI app via WiFi.

I'm really curious if the light changes to red on your remote, I bet it doesn't.

When you bring it closer does the everything start working again?

When you playback your flight log is it a whole or split up to different logs when you lost your signals?

I have exactly the same issue, but I find that when I am in an "unpolluted" wifi area I can get both far and high.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have same experience before.

Flight in a small park near the sea. The building around 600m far.
It still has interference and no video signal. RTH at 20m altitude

After i change the location, i flight 1.2km ;)
Seems the location is most important in P3s

Any ideas as to why?

Thank you

By the way. What is your firmware version? 1.6.8?

Thanks for all your replies.
I have noticed that location makes a difference. For example in the park, I can get it up to 20-30m but on the beach it reaches 40-50m.
I'm going to be around many different beaches over the coming week so I'll test it out a bit more.
I'll keen an eye on the screen to see what I lose once the connection is lost.
My usual beach is actually quite populated,, maybe that has an impact also.
I guess my main question was why hight is different to distance. Maybe more from a technical point of view.
Given the the antenna is omni directional,, I would have thought that height and distance should be very similar.
Unless maybe there are more other waves flying through the air that interferes wither the Phantom signal.

I have same experience before.

Flight in a small park near the sea. The building around 600m far.
It still has interference and no video signal. RTH at 20m altitude

After i change the location, i flight 1.2km ;)
Seems the location is most important in P3s
Is the App asking you to "RTH" at 20m altitude, or does it automatically RTH?

Any ideas as to why?

Thank you
The p3s is not to go far.some say its a fw problem.i got the arg mod on my p3s and it did allmost nothing.dont listen to what some say p3s its a short fpv copter the rrc is a long range unit.and people with p4 have problems.

So I've been flying it in different locations over the last week and I can say with some confidence that the location really make a big difference.
I went to a beach in Byron Bay (Australia) and was able to get to 90m up without any problems. I did not want to push it since I was unsure of the winds.
At various beaches around the Gold Coast (Australia) I was also able to get it over 80m without problems.
Where as back home, I cannot get it past 30m without losing signal.
I also found that large antennas give it trouble also, probably signal interference. I was flying near where many of the boats come out into the sea and there was a huge antenna right at the entrance. As soon as I got near it (20m from me) I lost the signal.

At least I know that there is nothing wrong with my copter.

btw, for those who suggest I have it set on Beginner Mode, even if it was set to that, the indication that I've reached the limit is a warning and inability to go further. It is not losing the signal.

So I've been flying it in different locations over the last week and I can say with some confidence that the location really make a big difference.
I went to a beach in Byron Bay (Australia) and was able to get to 90m up without any problems. I did not want to push it since I was unsure of the winds.
At various beaches around the Gold Coast (Australia) I was also able to get it over 80m without problems.
Where as back home, I cannot get it past 30m without losing signal.
I also found that large antennas give it trouble also, probably signal interference. I was flying near where many of the boats come out into the sea and there was a huge antenna right at the entrance. As soon as I got near it (20m from me) I lost the signal.

At least I know that there is nothing wrong with my copter.

btw, for those who suggest I have it set on Beginner Mode, even if it was set to that, the indication that I've reached the limit is a warning and inability to go further. It is not losing the signal.
Does not sound good mate

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl