P3P controller popped open

Reaction score
I went to set the controller down on the table and it just kind of popped open .. really bummed. I've tried to push it back together but no luck, it won't stay. Didn't drop it at all. It's open mostly on the one side.
20160221_215842.jpg

I don't really feel like sending it back to DJI for repair however also don't want to void the warranty by opening it up right now just for this (I have been thinking of modding the antenna with the ITElite panel but not there yet).

For you guys who have taken apart your controller, do you recognize what screw or screws might have come loose? The odd thing is that it won't go back together so something is no longer aligned. No idea how this could have happened so a bit disappointed.

Battery isn't swollen from what you can tell / see is it ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Battery isn't swollen from what you can tell / see is it ??

that is a really good question .. I had just charged the controller before that happened and it felt like the controller was taking an unusually long time to charge. I would have to check other's pics, as I'm not sure whether a swollen battery would cause that.

But, I bet you're right on - which also means I will leave the controller outside today (protected) while I'm away just in case of fire. I bet anything you are right. email to DJI in the works. And, thanks for saving me from a fire.

The battery is on the opposite end from the antennas, but i guess it's possible a swollen battery could pop-up the antenna end of controller.

Another thing you could try is to shake the controller to hear if anything is rattling, like plastic pieces inside your controller. It's possible that your screw posts inside cracked or broken completely off. Happened to me: Controller Cracked Threaded Holes!!!

It reminds me of GM cars in the 80's with half the screws missing from the grill. Check to see if all the screws are in place or stripped out.

As @dsd317 noted, the battery is on the opposite side. I would think that a swollen battery if anything would present as a case separation on the opposite side as yours. I think a swollen battery is unlikely, but of course it's good to be cautious just in case.

The RC plastic is known to be brittle. There have been multiple reports of RTH buttons and sticks breaking off. I think it is more likely that you have broken screw bosses internally, so to me the advice from dsd317 to listen for broken pieces is good advice based on what we know historically and what you posted.

thanks guys. took a look at that other post too. nothing rattling around inside and still won't go back together. I did peel off the large rubber bumper on bottom on that side and the screw looks securely in there. I didn't puncture the adhesive tape b/c if I do send for warranty I want DJI to see that I didn't open it.

entered a support ticket yesterday (in the US support site) .. no activity yet other than they duplicated the ticket last night so now I have two of the same tickets (no idea why unless they are sending that one to China for review). I'll see what happens and post back here.

thanks guys. took a look at that other post too. nothing rattling around inside and still won't go back together. I did peel off the large rubber bumper on bottom on that side and the screw looks securely in there. I didn't puncture the adhesive tape b/c if I do send for warranty I want DJI to see that I didn't open it.

entered a support ticket yesterday (in the US support site) .. no activity yet other than they duplicated the ticket last night so now I have two of the same tickets (no idea why unless they are sending that one to China for review). I'll see what happens and post back here.

Give them a call, I find when you get ahold of them on the phone it seems to speed up the process a bit.

thanks, good idea.

RMA approved.

Good news!!! Yeah they seem to be useless via live chat (they are in Europe or china I believe) and via the phone (California based) they seem a lot more useful !!

Reactions: davestern2
good news, controller just came back from RMA .. no charge. Approx time of 3 weeks including shipping both ways (to from CA from east coast via ground), which means it spent about a week or so in repair - not bad for warranty service. Looks to be a refurbished controller as it has some wear on the front which I didn't have .. very minor. But overall it's clean and I'm going to assume is fixed. No notes at all on what was done. Their online tracking worked fine in terms of letting me know repair status ... I did get the shipping link by email before the online was updated, and in the online, "delivered" with the date / time was really the ship date & time, but overall I'm glad to have the repair done under warranty, so all is good. Thx for the input!

good news, controller just came back from RMA .. no charge. Approx time of 3 weeks including shipping both ways (to from CA from east coast via ground), which means it spent about a week or so in repair - not bad for warranty service. Looks to be a refurbished controller as it has some wear on the front which I didn't have .. very minor. But overall it's clean and I'm going to assume is fixed. No notes at all on what was done. Their online tracking worked fine in terms of letting me know repair status ... I did get the shipping link by email before the online was updated, and in the online, "delivered" with the date / time was really the ship date & time, but overall I'm glad to have the repair done under warranty, so all is good. Thx for the input!
Confused.. You say it looks like a refurbished controller because of the 'scuff marks' that you didn't have, but then you say ' no notes on what was done' assuming you are talking about your original controller. Did you get a replacement, or yours fixed and returned?

Confused.. You say it looks like a refurbished controller because of the 'scuff marks' that you didn't have, but then you say ' no notes on what was done' assuming you are talking about your original controller. Did you get a replacement, or yours fixed and returned?

what I meant by 'no notes on what was done' is that I can't tell what the problem was .. e.g. was the battery actually swollen, or was there some other issue which resulted in my not being able to pop the case closed again (e.g. broken post and misalignment of parts for example). So, all I was saying is that I couldn't offer anyone any more info on the root cause of my situation.

In terms of replacement vs. mine fixed, that's where I was saying that since there was no paperwork in the box, it's not clear to me (e.g. they might have said on a return paper either provide refurbished or repair as submitted). I am guessing from the slight scuff marks that I don't believe I had, that I received a refurbished controller. I did put a dymo label on my controller when I submitted it (RMA # and my contact info) which wasn't on the returned controller - no telling whether they peeled it off and returned same or otherwise.

So, that's it .. shared the info I had in case it helps anyone else, thanked everyone for their suggestions, and glad to have a controller back so my family and I can fly again :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl