Owning a P4 and Mavic Pro

Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of you ordered the Mavic Pro and also own the P4. When you get your Mavic do you think you'll favor it over your P4 or will your P4 still be your "main" drone? I know nobody really knows since none of us have recieved their mavic yet but it's something that has been on my mind lately and I'm a little curious.I honestly think I will favor my P4 over my Mavic since I feel like my P4 is an awesome piece. But I guess time will tell

I think the P4 will sit gathering dust.
The sensible thing will be attempt to sell or more likely give it to friend or relative.
But not straight away in case Mavic proves to have disastrous flaws such as folding arms damaging motor cables after a few weeks ... :)

Actually that really is something which bothers me, how many times can those arms be opened and closed before something comes loose.

The sensible thing will be attempt to sell or more likely give it to friend or relative.
But not straight away in case Mavic proves to have disastrous flaws such as folding arms damaging motor cables after a few weeks ... :)

Actually that really is something which bothers me, how many times can those arms be opened and closed before something comes loose.
You know what I was wondering the same thing about the wear and tear on the folding arms. I guess time will only tell. Maybe not fold it up while your not traveling with it and only flying from your home. But if you travel alot I'm sure the arms will be folded and unfolded a lot of times. But I'm sure they are built to last. Looks to be that way at least

You know what I was wondering the same thing about the wear and tear on the folding arms. I guess time will only tell. Maybe not fold it up while your not traveling with it and only flying from your home. But if you travel alot I'm sure the arms will be folded and unfolded a lot of times. But I'm sure they are built to last. Looks to be that way at least
They have supposedly been tested for 3,000 folds and were still going strong.
Presumably, that would outlast the life of the aircraft.

I am in this situation. I don't know. I plan, in some sense of the word, to use the Mavic as the convenience drone for travel and the P4 for other flying. I do expect on some trips - Sydney and surrounds in December - plan to take both. I will probably also just carry the Mavic on my bicycle commutes to work - the P4 in a Manfrotto D1 backpack is doable, but heavy :)

Reactions: RadioMike
I am in this boat as well. I will be keeping my P4 and see how my personal preferences and use cases influence which to fly when.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Vision Plus 2, P3 and P4. I'm in the process of selling my Vision and will probably also sell the P3 and pick up the Mavic to have along with my P4.

I agree, I think the Mavic would end up being my go to drone. I _think_ the P4 will still have a slightly better camera. If for nothing else, the wider view. But as pointed out by other people, giving up so very little and gaining so much. However, let me also say that the P4 is still a _great_ drone and has it advantages over the Mavic.

Anyone really think the Mavic won't have issues? If you think it won't, please be reminded that DJI is the manufacture. While they make great drones, they always seem to have their initial and on-going issues.

Main reason I want to pick up the Mavic over using my P4 is its portability and it's a little more quite.

I own a P4 and pre-ordered the Mavic. My sole reason for the Mavic is the portability. I take 2 long motorcycle trips per year (2,000+ miles) and its next to impossibly to pack the P4 along with luggage.

I think foldable drones will be the direction the manufactures will go, more and more towards the consumer marked in the future. You can pack almost the same specs into a drone with half the weight and twice the portability. Still, the P4 still has the lead when it comes to speed and camera (wider view at least...). Gotta love that :)

I'll buy the drone that suits my needs the best, choosing from among the available high-quality drones on the market when that need arises. My P4 fulfills all my needs right now. Maybe my needs will change in the future, or maybe there will be feature development on one platform that exceeds what's available on the other. I can easily see the Phantom 5 leapfrogging the Mavic in exactly the same way that the entire Phantom line from Phantom to Phantom 4 has leapfrogged each before it.

I think foldable drones will be the direction the manufactures will go, more and more towards the consumer marked in the future. You can pack almost the same specs into a drone with half the weight and twice the portability. Still, the P4 still has the lead when it comes to speed and camera (wider view at least...). Gotta love that :)

I think that foldable drones is one direction the manufacturers will go. But not the only direction.

Reactions: QuadBart
I will be highly influenced by the signal integrity ocu-sync provides. If the connection is actually better than lightbridge 1, then I'd likely favor Mavic. I am hoping it's not detuned like they did to the P4.

Reactions: Jussaguy
I will be highly influenced by the signal integrity ocu-sync provides. If the connection is actually better than lightbridge 1, then I'd likely favor Mavic. I am hoping it's not detuned like they did to the P4.

Bingo :) lol

5000 was mentioned in the prototype build. The folding mech were specially designed also handle vibrations.
And yes, don't sell off the P4/P3 just yet just in case there is some serious teething issues.
The only concern I have with the Mavic is the camera. On a few of the vids, you can see the camera wobble like a loose teeth. Also, The gimbal design is new by making the roll axis built right into the camera. I do however like how the camera is now heaps more protected. No more exposed ribbon cables, no more gimbal protectors that stretched across the legs of the phantoms.

I'm gunna wait a bit till all the bugs [emoji220]come to fruition then I'll make my decisions on upgrading from the P4

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

And thats my dilemma. I got caught up in all the Mavic excitement I was ready to pre-order from my LHS. But after some thought without emotion, I'm "thinking" I may wait. My P4 is my "take on my motorcycle" drone. The Mavic is going to be much smaller, taking up less space, allowing me more room for other items... So I "think" the Mavic will be used more...

But I've got a couple concerns; The smaller profile of the Mavic may make it harder for me to see at distance. I use an Ipad Air with my P4 which I really like as I have a nice big "picture". The larger tablet also means buttons and icons are more easy to read and push. My Smart phone is in heavy duty case which most likely won't fit in the remote holder so I'd have to remove my Smart phone from the case, which I'm not willing to do everytime I fly...

I'm wondering how many of you ordered the Mavic Pro and also own the P4. When you get your Mavic do you think you'll favor it over your P4 or will your P4 still be your "main" drone? I know nobody really knows since none of us have recieved their mavic yet but it's something that has been on my mind lately and I'm a little curious.I honestly think I will favor my P4 over my Mavic since I feel like my P4 is an awesome piece. But I guess time will tell

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl