Operating P4 in Rain

Had my first incident with rain today. I'm usually very careful if it even looks like a cloud approaching but I was itching to fly after work. I live on Kauai and clouds come and go all day. I was about 3000 feet from home when I felt it start to sprinkle. I shifted to sport and hightailed it back but I had a good headwind and couldn't make the best time. By the time I landed it was raining hard and the P4 was wet. But... it flew just fine. I dried it off well and did a short flight ( after the rain stopped ) and everything seems OK including the gimbal and camera. Not recommended but good to know a little rain won't crash the bird.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last year, 2 weeks after I bought my first drone, P3 Std. I lost control and it flew away almost 1 mile away. It was just before sunset. That entire night it rained. After learning about the flight log I could see where it started to descend when the battery got low. The next morning I went looking for it and found it. It did a perfect landing in a farmer's field, although soaking wet. I thoroughly dried it off with a hair dryer and for two days had a box fan blowing on it changing directions periodically. Happily that drone is still working just fine today. I was lucky!

Reactions: RPP
I'll be shortly heading out to a part of the world that is rainy at this time of the year. I don't plan to fly the P4 in rain or in conditions where it looks like rain is imminent. However, should there be a sudden shower, I want to have a sense of P4's tolerance to drizzle. Any experiences here? (If it should get caught up in rain I, of course, will immediately abort the flight and bring it home.)
Looks like rain avoid the pain! Don't fly....the interior of the Phantom has little to no protection against water. Even fog has a percentage of moisture I avoid. There are companies that will waterproof your bird but it is expensive.

I'll be shortly heading out to a part of the world that is rainy at this time of the year. I don't plan to fly the P4 in rain or in conditions where it looks like rain is imminent. However, should there be a sudden shower, I want to have a sense of P4's tolerance to drizzle. Any experiences here? (If it should get caught up in rain I, of course, will immediately abort the flight and bring it home.)
Can't go wrong if you follow your own mentioned steps. Enjoy, donnie

I have had a great deal of luck useing Ultra Hydrophobic sprays, I take wildlife photos useing Nikon gear, that similar to Phantoms is not designed to get wet, however rain happens!
I spray all areas ( except lenses) with the spray and water simply rolls off.
I can see no problem in spraying this on your phantom and leaving it to thoroughly dry. The only problem may be the brushless motors as the solution may not give 100% cover internally.
Go on line with Amazon and see what's out there, buy a cheap battery clock to try it out ...if it works ........

One thing to consider if operating in high humidity areas for awhile in the tropics with no air conditioned living space--is to store your phantom in a sealed container with silica gel (especially over night). I know laptops last a lot longer this way--especially if you seal them when still warm from use. With cameras, you don't get fungus growing inside your camera lens--or like what happened to me as a kid--also have mold grow on the film itself!

One thing to consider if operating in high humidity areas for awhile in the tropics with no air conditioned living space--is to store your phantom in a sealed container with silica gel when not in use for several hours. I know laptops last a lot longer this way--especially if you seal them when still warm from use. With cameras, you don't get fungus growing inside your camera lens--or like what happened to me as a kid--also have mold grow on the film itself!

Yes, this is standard operating procedure with us photographers carrying gear to humid locales.

One thing to consider if operating in high humidity areas for awhile in the tropics with no air conditioned living space--is to store your phantom in a sealed container with silica gel (especially over night). I know laptops last a lot longer this way--especially if you seal them when still warm from use. With cameras, you don't get fungus growing inside your camera lens--or like what happened to me as a kid--also have mold grow on the film itself!

I agree totally with this use in cameras, however cameras are by nature an ideal growth area for fungus, especially lenses.
Drones have large cooling holes and fast rotating parts that present a different problem.

I still suggest useing this !

Hydrobead | Superhydrophobic Water Repellent Spray Coating

Last edited:
Well, turns out my P4 isn't going to smell the raindrops anytime soon. India has restrictions on bringing in drones. I wrote up a post here.
You are taking the drone to India? Any solution for the issue?

You are taking the drone to India? Any solution for the issue?

I was planning to. However, my plans are now shot. The Indian Customs will not allow drones into the country. See my blog post linked upthread,.

I was planning to. However, my plans are now shot. The Indian Customs will not allow drones into the country. See my blog post linked upthread,.
India Drone Laws | UAV Systems International
You may have to pay an additional tax and make SURE you never fly in a sensitive area, but according to the Indian Gov you can with restrictions.
However I would check with the embassy in Washington

India Drone Laws | UAV Systems International
You may have to pay an additional tax and make SURE you never fly in a sensitive area, but according to the Indian Gov you can with restrictions.
However I would check with the embassy in Washington

That link seems outdated. The regulations for bringing drones into India changed on April 1. They are now put in the Prohibited and Dutiable Goods list and require to be declared upon arrival. I inquired with the Customs officials and they say they will impound any drones brought into the country. Now, drones are sold online in India. How, you may ask, do those suppliers get around the rules? Well, you can guess the answer to that one.

That link seems outdated. The regulations for bringing drones into India changed on April 1. They are now put in the Prohibited and Dutiable Goods list and require to be declared upon arrival. I inquired with the Customs officials and they say they will impound any drones brought into the country. Now, drones are sold online in India. How, you may ask, do those suppliers get around the rules? Well, you can guess the answer to that one.
Having worked in India I can quite understand your frustration.
However sometimes the left and right hand does not communicate. I would still contact the Embassy for " current" information. Good luck.....you'll need it!

Having worked in India I can quite understand your frustration.
However sometimes the left and right hand does not communicate. I would still contact the Embassy for " current" information. Good luck.....you'll need it!

I grew up in India (well, Goa), so I know the 'system' only too well. I have spent enough time on this making calls to Bombay and Delhi. It is hopeless (if you want to play by the book, that is).

Forgiveness is far easier than permission, that and a large $ bill to "help" with the paperwork, but as you grew up there........

Last year, 2 weeks after I bought my first drone, P3 Std. I lost control and it flew away almost 1 mile away. It was just before sunset. That entire night it rained. After learning about the flight log I could see where it started to descend when the battery got low. The next morning I went looking for it and found it. It did a perfect landing in a farmer's field, although soaking wet. I thoroughly dried it off with a hair dryer and for two days had a box fan blowing on it changing directions periodically. Happily that drone is still working just fine today. I was lucky!
I had a similar incident with my P4 - it was stuck in a tree over a night and of course it was raining most of the night. After I got it down I disassembled the bird, dried all the circuit boards with a hair dryer, and left drying for a couple of days before assembling it back together. After that it has been flying properly. Of course warranty is gone.

Any pilot knows that the three H's e.g. High Hot and Humid reduce the propeller efficiency. Hence less battery time under these conditions.

That is also why home run hitters love the 3 H's...the ball carries further under those conditions.

There are also the long term affects to worry about. If water penetrates it might take a while for any symptoms to emerge. Having said that, I'm not sure how susceptible the components might be, that is, if ferrous metals are exposed, or whether all the components are stainless steel or rustproofed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl