One rotor won't start up

Reaction score
Hi,

I just opened my new Phantom Vision 2 + yesterday, went through the quick start guide, but when I do the in-and-down CSC to start the rotors, one of them (front right) won't spin up correctly. It just spins a couple rotations, then stops, then spins a couple rotations, stops, over and over.

Here's a video of what I see.

https://vimeo.com/104730481

I swapped rotors around and tried the other rotor set, but got the same problem. DJI support told me to return it, but I'm wondering if this is familiar to anyone, and something I could fix myself (without voiding warranty). In the video, you can see the reflection of the LEDs below the faulty rotor, but I couldn't find anything online that says what those might mean.

Thanks,

Andrew

I have not seen that, but am curious if the bearings might be faulty on that rotor. But you said you swapped it out and the same side failed? Good luck to you.

Most likely bad motor or ESC. Does it spool u[p when you give it throttle? Regardless, I'd send it back as it will be troublesome further down the road.

No, it doesn't do anything different when I give it throttle. Already put in for a return.

(This was a brand new, so it makes me a bit nervous about DJI's quality.)

Just a dud motor. Typically if the motor pulses or doesn't start then the motor is bad. If the LEDs on the bottom aren't lighting up it is an indication of a bad ESC.

If DJI is going to get it sorted out there is no need to worry. Remember that these are hobby model aircrafts after all and replacement parts are sold for a reason. It is a nice thing that they actually have parts you can replace yourself rather than be tethered down to going to a specialty store to fix such a minor problem.

You might want to switch a known good motor for the bad one and see if you are still having the issue... if you are - than it could be more serious than a motor - if the replacement motor works... than it's the motor. If it's just to motor - I would just buy a new one and see if DJI will send you a replacement motor. Because DJI is so slow - I think replacing the motor would be faster (and then when DJI replaces the bad motor - you will have a spare). Just my 2 cents :)

I received my new P2+ yesterday and eagerly set about preparing for first operation and perhaps a flight. My left front motor is behaving exactly like in the video which andrewmac shared. I've done all of the recalibrations and firmware updates, I believe.

Andrewmac, you wrote that you put in for a return; are turn of what? The entire copter? Or are you being sent replacement parts?

Thanks.

EdwinPJr & Mikey7,

I bought my P2+ from Amazon, so I put in for a return the next day. Amazon sent me an entire new P2+, and it works great. I would suggest you go back to your vendor for an exchange.

EDIT: Also, thanks to everyone who responded to my initial inquiry so quickly. That was kind of you, and really helpful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl