Oh noooooo... my super-new drone is already gone.

If someone found and took care of my drone, I would be glad to honor it with 10% of its cost. Of course. Receiving the 10% is not selfish. Not be willing to honor it would be selfish, disrespectful. Honoring it is fair. Because he/she could instead have ignored the drone, leaving it for slow destruction in the wood, or elsewhere.
In such case, property and ownership are not questioned, it is about honoring a person that took care of my property and brought is safe back to me; alternatively, I would have lost it all.

In Scandinavia, the finder is by law entitled to 10% (a finder’s fee /the law of lost goods), the police support it.

Reactions: RunawayDrone
26 years in Law enforcement and I can say that is theft. No different than if your dog wandered out of your yard and your neighbor snatched the dog up and refused to give it back. Possesion is NOT 9/10 of the law, Ownership is ownership.

Completely agree brother, As a LEO, I would have been happy to give her a reward.. it’s shiny and clicks as they clamp around the wrist.

Drone Pilots should consider attaching a Tractive.com "Tracker" to the fuselage of their drone. Weighs only 35grams 1.2 oz
Go to tractive .com to see product. I use them to trace my two dogs who sometimes chase deer, their position shown on a background of Google earth. Battery lasts 2 - 3 days on a charge. Live tracking activated from a smart phone. It works well for me. Maybe worth a try. Cost is about $ 50 for the unit and about $50 per year for the phone connection.
Tractive is 3g, are any of 'em 4g? Good idea IMHO.

I really feel bad for anyone losing their drone. Seems like every day this happens....mostly due to flying outside the drones boundaries. Flying in high winds, flying before it has recorded home point, no compass or IMU calibration, flying 400 meters away...I sure can't see my drone 400 meters away.
Maybe if we flew within the rules, most of us will keep our drones to fly again another day.

Seems like every day this happens....mostly due to flying outside the drones boundaries.
... flying before it has recorded home point, no compass or IMU calibration
These two aren't causes of losing Phantoms
It's hard to launch before the home point is recorded, but if you are impatient and fast you might.
However the Phantom will record its home point as soon as it gets GPS reception - and that would be shortly after launching and quite close to home.

There is no need to calibrate the compass or IMU under normal circumstances and the Phantom will fly perfectly.
It's only poor wording in old DJI manuals that created the myth that calibration was necessary.
Look at the P4 pro manual, where they have finally corrected the compass calibration wording.
I have been flying a P4 pro hard for over a year now and never calibrated anything and it flies perfectly.

Reactions: sar104
Wow sounds like the lady was blackmailing you more then anything. But glad you found it. When I lost mine and found it the next day I went back to the guy who had it and bought him a bottle of champagne and a thank you card. He didn't ask for anything. People like that deserves to be rewarded.

However if I was in the OP situation and the person demanded a fee I would see that as blackmail and disrespectful so I would just call the cops, press charges, let her go to court and I will and up with a victim surcharge reward from that person as that person would now be out of pocket and have a criminal record. People like that deserves to get the table turned. Hope you remember her.... If she drops her purse and you see it... Ask her for 10% fee and see how she likes it

I was flying my P4advanced today. At some point it was 400m away and once I pressed the RTH button it lost connection and never returned. I couldn't find it either. Very strong wind conditions. The log stated in the end the GPS connection was weak, just before I lost contact. I can't seem to open the attached file, I get weird characters so any advice on how to open this would be welcome... Gutted...
Are you in the UK buddy?

It's worth noting that OP was flying and lost their drone in Sweden, so some of the laws likely don't apply. All good information, but might not applicable to their situation.
I do believe laws are very different in Sweden, just ask Julian Assange.

Reactions: gingerbloke
Read multiple pages in this thread and now seem invested.

I too am curious what the OP paid the lady as a finders fee that was demanded?

Cant stress enough some. Smaller points made in this post and many others of lost or Dan aged phantoms. 10 to 15mph wind is the maximum you should be comfortable with. Also be extremely pacient. If it is something you can shoot later in the e day, next day or next weekend I'd advise coming back. Also take tour time with the setup. Ensure the GPS connection is on and recorded the RTH position and IMU/compass are correctly calibrated. Glad you got it back OP...a positive end to a frustrating story.

RoOSTA

I was flying my P4advanced today. At some point it was 400m away and once I pressed the RTH button it lost connection and never returned. I couldn't find it either. Very strong wind conditions. The log stated in the end the GPS connection was weak, just before I lost contact. I can't seem to open the attached file, I get weird characters so any advice on how to open this would be welcome... Gutted...
lost.jpg

I'd say it is about here by the look of the log file. Looks like you hit some ones house.

26 years in Law enforcement and I can say that is theft. No different than if your dog wandered out of your yard and your neighbor snatched the dog up and refused to give it back. Possesion is NOT 9/10 of the law, Ownership is ownership.
Yeah I’m late to the party, but just getting started and found phantompilots.com.

Totally agree, little over 35 years in law enforcement, and depending on the state, most states have a law called “theft of lost or mislaid property”

So if anyone finds themselves in the same predictament, check with your local law enforcement to see if thus law is on the books in your state.

Glad you got it back, and I agree, if I lose something, and it’s worth trying to find, I will usually offer a reward of some type.

Totally agree, little over 35 years in law enforcement, and depending on the state, most states have a law called “theft of lost or mislaid property”

So if anyone finds themselves in the same predictament, check with your local law enforcement to see if thus law is on the books in your state.

According to @kjellramstad , in Sweden finders of lost items are entitled to 10% reward, by law! I think that's an absurd entitlement law, however in Sweden there are a lot of social entitlements the US doesn't support, thankfully.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
According to @kjellramstad , in Sweden finders of lost items are entitled to 10% reward, by law! I think that's an absurd entitlement law, however in Sweden there are a lot of social entitlements the US doesn't support, thankfully.
Interesting.... Sweden might be better than most places if you were out of work, sick or retired though. They have clean water, fresh air and low crime rates to go with it. Oh and from my experience- they are good
natured people who like a laugh and a drink. Great company.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures