Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Obstacle detection? Why not?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Diirk, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Diirk

Why isn't this available? This could solve a lot of pilot errors of flying into trees, powerlines, etc. It could also make sure that the phantom doesn't crash into things when in failsafe mode. Isn't this easy to do technically from DJI standpoint? I know that smart phones have proximity sensors, couldn't DJI add those to a phantom as well?

Or am I missing something?

2. cahutch

I think any kind of useful object avoidance system would probably raise the cost of the system significantly. Not to mention weight and battery life.
    The proximity sensor in your phone only detects when you have the phone to your ear using a simple optical sensor.

You could probably do something with a simple range finder that would be able to detect proximity to an object like a tree and automatically increase altitude until the object is no longer detected.
    A 360 degree laser range finder mounted on top or maybe an ultrasonic transducer on top that emits 360 degrees and a microphone or two on all four sides

3. D_Tshudy

There is a lot of ongoing research in this area. I don't think even the military has a reliable avoidance system yet. Google 'UAV avoidance' and you'll see what's happening in this area.

4. Mlaudisa

5. Dirty Bird

That's pretty cool. Wonder what the actual price will be?

6. malacca

And if it will actually work. Why don't they have any demonstration videos on their site? It'd be great if it worked reliably, though!

7. cahutch

The on board flight controller firmware isn't set up for proximity sensors so they would need to hack in new firmware for it to work.
    Unless they just hack into the control system to force the cyclic into the opposite direction, in which case it still wouldn't help in an RTH condition or using ground station.

8. varmint

I'm more curious as to what the actual weight would be. I don't see how having what looks like 12 sensors, 4 3d printed covers, probaby an arduino nano or micro driving it all, plus the wiring could be trivial.