NTSB Report is out on Phantom4 vs Blackhawk from Sept 2017

I've not seen a label like that on a DJI aircraft.

That's just the warning sticker on the arms of the drone - I thought they were standard - maybe he'd written his phone number or FAA reg on it :)

Last edited:
That's just the warning sticker on the arms of the drone - I thought they were standard - maybe he'd written his phone number or FAA reg on it :)
It's actually a removable color-coded instructional sticker on each arm to clarify which motors get the black ringed props and which get the silver ringed props, in case the dots on top of the motors themselves are too subtle. All P4's and P4P's come with them. Don't remember about the P3P's.

It's actually a removable color-coded instructional sticker on each arm to clarify which motors get the black ringed props and which get the silver ringed props, in case the dots on top of the motors themselves are too subtle. All P4's and P4P's come with them. Don't remember about the P3P's.

It's a removeable colour coded 'instructional sticker' with the word WARNING in red block capitals - no matter how pedantic or argumentative you want to be - that makes it a 'WARNING sticker' in my books :D

Attachments

• P4_Unbox_16.jpg
    P4_Unbox_16.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 256
It's a removeable colour coded 'instructional sticker' with the word WARNING in red block capitals - no matter how pedantic or argumentative you want to be - that makes it a 'WARNING sticker' in my books :D
Touché! :D

Reactions: andy_k
It should probably also state: "WARNING: Fingerprints left on this surface or any other part of the drone or props may be used by the FAA to convict you! Please carefully wipe all surfaces clean of any fingerprints before takeoff!" :p

It should probably also state: "WARNING: Fingerprints left on this surface or any other part of the drone or props may be used by the FAA to convict you! Please carefully wipe all surfaces clean of any fingerprints before takeoff!" :p

Doesn't everyone do that already? :D :D

So wouldn’t the NTSB just come out and say we found fingerprints on the motor. Why would they lie when the truth sounds better?

My P4 definitely did not come with those stickers, but it was a very early one.

So wouldn’t the NTSB just come out and say we found fingerprints on the motor. Why would they lie when the truth sounds better?
I don't think anybody has lied - it just depends how you interpret the words written in a report

It said the serial number aided identification. My thoughts are that It's entirely feasible that there were fingerprints which could have identified the owner and DJI were asked if that person owned one of their drones - gave them the serial number and they linked the serial/part number to a Phantom 4 that person had bought.

The key phrase is "why would they lie".. They would have no reason for doing so.

It would seem logical that each motor would have a serial number on it. If a motor fails, the drone goes down. If DJI ever received a bad batch of motors, having serial numbers would allow them to contact the owners if they ever needed to have the motors replaced.

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
The key phrase is "why would they lie".. They would have no reason for doing so.

It would seem logical that each motor would have a serial number on it. If a motor fails, the drone goes down. If DJI ever received a bad batch of motors, having serial numbers would allow them to contact the owners if they ever needed to have the motors replaced.
I highly doubt, from everything stated above about those who have ordered replacement motors, that there are unique serial numbers on each and every motor. There are likely part numbers that might be correlated to a batch of drones. Without the guy turning himself in, it is very unlikely this could have been tied back to him, and even if it was, without a witness, they still gave no proof of him being the actual pilot of that particular flight with that particular drone. However, it is in everyone's best interest, from an enforcement standpoint, to imply that any found component of a DJI drone can be tied back to the owner and the pilot, whether true or not! :cool:

Reactions: andy_k
I don't think anybody has lied - it just depends how you interpret the words written in a report

It said the serial number aided identification. My thoughts are that It's entirely feasible that there were fingerprints which could have identified the owner and DJI were asked if that person owned one of their drones - gave them the serial number and they linked the serial/part number to a Phantom 4 that person had bought.
His coming forward with his voluntary confession tied everything together, to corroborate that he was, indeed, the pilot, and that it was his drone that the helicopter collided with. Without a suspect already in hand, it's doubtful that there was sufficient evidence otherwise to identify him as the pilot. Wear surgical gloves when handling your drone, props, and batteries, if your fingerprints are on file! :D

Generally speaking, What is the percentage of folks with F-prints on record?

The photo of the arm is being held by someone with no gloves on. Not typical protocol for handling evidence is it?

This guy may be an immigrant (profiling by Name) so are they printed for processing?

This guy may be an immigrant (profiling by Name) so are they printed for processing?
Yes they are - I can speak first hand (no pun!) as an ex-pat from England.. Had all my FP's taken for both my green card and later my US citizenship. I can't touch anything now without being found!

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks, would seem likely.

I guess I don't think it's unusual the parts of a DJI quad are serialized. They are a step ahead of FAA and DJI may already been doing cradle to grave tracking of parts even before FAA requires it of these "aircraft" used for commercial purposes.

I guess I don't think it's unusual the parts of a DJI quad are serialized. They are a step ahead of FAA and DJI may already been doing cradle to grave tracking of parts even before FAA requires it of these "aircraft" used for commercial purposes.
It's certainly possible, but since this guy already volunteered himself as the culprit, it wouldn't take much else to confirm the drone was his. Make, model, and tablet flight log, which he handed over with his RC, would be more than enough. Unless DJI confirms they are serialized (examining a motor should also refute such a claim), we'll have to wait for another incident where the pilot isn't quite so forthcoming, to find out. Confirming your suspect is the doer is a lot easier than identifying one out of the blue.

Generally speaking, What is the percentage of folks with F-prints on record?

The photo of the arm is being held by someone with no gloves on. Not typical protocol for handling evidence is it?

Fingerprints also don't confirm who was the pilot. Presence of fingerprints would only confirm that the person had handled the item at one time. Without a confession, or a witness, it would only be an element of circumstantial evidence pointing to a possible pilot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West