Notifying heliports

Reaction score
I am a new P107 pilot. I am using the B4UFLY app. When I entered my flight plan I was told that there are 5 heliports within 5 miles of my location that I needed to notify before I continued my flight. They are all at hospitals and business so I am assuming they have no towers. How would I go about notifying them?

Reactions: Thatguyj
I use AirMap and they have telephone numbers to heliports. You are required to notify them, that includes leaving a voice mail if no one answers of your location where flying, time, duration, and altitude.
Your are also required to maintain VLOS with your sUAS and look out and give way to other traffic.

Reactions: Thatguyj
I use AirMap and they have telephone numbers to heliports. You are required to notify them, that includes leaving a voice mail if no one answers of your location where flying, time, duration, and altitude.
Your are also required to maintain VLOS with your sUAS and look out and give way to other traffic.
I have both Air Map and B4UFLY. Air Map does not show any heliports in my area and B4UFLY shows 4.

Reactions: Hounddog
I am a new P107 pilot. I am using the B4UFLY app. When I entered my flight plan I was told that there are 5 heliports within 5 miles of my location that I needed to notify before I continued my flight. They are all at hospitals and business so I am assuming they have no towers. How would I go about notifying them?

I'm having a hard time accepting that you have passed the Part 107 test but don't even remotely understand the regulations. Notifying airports within 5 miles has only ever been a requirement for recreational (Part 101) flight. Part 107 flight is entirely governed by the class of airspace.

If B4UFLY gives you any information about heliports(hospitals, business) google them and get the number. I really don’t use B4UFLY and don’t know if it is updated. I trust AirMap and I also use Kittyhawk. You might want to give Kittyhawk a try. They have a free version.

If B4UFLY gives you any information about heliports(hospitals, business) google them and get the number. I really don’t use B4UFLY and don’t know if it is updated. I trust AirMap and I also use Kittyhawk. You might want to give Kittyhawk a try. They have a free version.

Wrong advice - the OP is flying Part 107.

Reactions: Blade4 and Hounddog
B4UFLY is an FAA app that advises you if your location is in an air space that requires a waiver. It is only advising me that I am within 5 miles of several heliports and have to advise them of my flight. I was asking how the best way to advise the heliports of my flight. No waiver is required.

B4UFLY is for HOBBYIST application.

As a Part 107 operation you fly according to the AIRSPACE you are planning to fly in.

If you want to take it one step further and operate with an abundance of caution you can notify local heliports etc. What I would suggest is that you meet with the dispatch of the heliports (could be a joint effort between several) and work out an agreement of how to notify them more easily. Possibly an email, text message etc but something that makes both parties comfortable and helps to ensure SAFETY in the NAS.

I'm having a hard time accepting that you have passed the Part 107 test but don't even remotely understand the regulations. Notifying airports within 5 miles has only ever been a requirement for recreational (Part 101) flight. Part 107 flight is entirely governed by the class of airspace.

Class Bravo, Charlie, and Delta core surface area extend out a minimum of four miles from center of airport and as such requires contacting ATC before entering airspace.

IMG_1545679764.742374.jpg

For a better understanding of airspace read AIM section 3 Airspace

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/AIM_Basic_dtd_10-12-17.pdf

I would say wrong information, good advice. Although not required by part 107 it would be in the best interest of everyone involved to strive for Safety. I’m sure the helicopter pilot would appreciate any information relayed to him about his flight path that ATC could not provide. Part 107 was put together very quickly with not enough information about integrating sUAV’s into the NAS. Look how hobbyist can fly at night but part 107 have to get waiver. That makes no sense and I’m sure there are plenty changes coming down the pike.

I agree very strange about the 107 and 336 night flights rules !

Class Bravo, Charlie, and Delta core surface area extend out a minimum of four miles from center of airport and as such requires contacting ATC before entering airspace.

View attachment 106649

For a better understanding of airspace read AIM section 3 Airspace

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/AIM_Basic_dtd_10-12-17.pdf

No - that has been entirely superseded by the requirement to obtain authorization via the FAA portal or LAANC. Local ATC will not give authorization for Part 107 flights. And the 5 mile requirement that the OP mentioned is only for recreational flight under Part 101.

I would say wrong information, good advice. Although not required by part 107 it would be in the best interest of everyone involved to strive for Safety. I’m sure the helicopter pilot would appreciate any information relayed to him about his flight path that ATC could not provide. Part 107 was put together very quickly with not enough information about integrating sUAV’s into the NAS. Look how hobbyist can fly at night but part 107 have to get waiver. That makes no sense and I’m sure there are plenty changes coming down the pike.

No - there are no planned changes to Part 107. Part 101 will change as the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 takes effect, but that will make it look more like Part 107.

No - that has been entirely superseded by the requirement to obtain authorization via the FAA portal or LAANC. Local ATC will not give authorization for Part 107 flights. And the 5 mile requirement that the OP mentioned is only for recreational flight under Part 101.

It has not been superseded by the FAA Portal or LAANC, as you CANNOT get LAANC approval from FAA Portal or LAANC. You can only get it from:

IMG_8333.jpg

And the 5 mile requirement I was quoting was not from OP it was from your statement:

IMG_8332.jpg

Which contradicts 107.41

IMG_1545706539.937710.jpg

No - there are no planned changes to Part 107. Part 101 will change as the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 takes effect, but that will make it look more like Part 107.

I will wait and see and not speculate on that as I don’t know anyone in Congress nor do I work for the FAA.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

It has not been superseded by the FAA Portal or LAANC, as you CANNOT get LAANC approval from FAA Portal or LAANC. You can only get it from:

View attachment 106680

And the 5 mile requirement I was quoting was not from OP it was from your statement:

View attachment 106681

Which contradicts 107.41

View attachment 106682

You are posting random disinformation. First of all you stated that notification to airports was necessary under Part 101, presumably confusing that with earlier requirements to get authorization for non-recreational flights directly from local ATC.

And when I pointed out that contacting local ATC had been superseded under Part 107 by going through the FAA portal or LAANC (depending on whether LAANC has het been implemented at the airport in question), you are now arguing that you cannot use the FAA portal (yes - you can) and cannot use LAANC. Or rather that you cannot use LAANC without going through one of the FAA partners administering it - which I never said you could.

As for 107.41 - it states exactly what I said - under Part 107 there is no requirement to notify airports. And the ATC authorization that is stated in 107.41 is now achieved via the portal or LAANC:

Flying Drones Near Airports (Controlled Airspace) – Part 107

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

Reactions: Blade4
At the beginning of this thread someone said, "I'm having a hard time accepting that you have passed the Part 107 test but don't even remotely understand the regulations. " I am having a hard ime accepting that anyone passed the test because no one seems to agree on what the law is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka