Notification Question

Reaction score
Just bought my first drone, a P4P and was readying for my first flight yesterday (Sunday afternoon - it didn't happen). I called a private airport and a local hospital helipad that are in my local area to notify them I planned to fly within 5 miles of their location. I pulled their info off the AirNav database and had distance and bearing info to pass along, but the airport never answered and whoever answered at the hospital sent me to their engineer voicemail. Since I couldn't notify them properly, I cancelled the flight. I just took and passed my Part 107 knowledge exam and didn't want to risk losing it on my first flight. What's the policy if you try in earnest and can't get through?

i would guess ......grounded without permission.( but who wants to put their head in a noose by granting permission ?)

I wasn't asking for permission. It was a recreational flight so all I wasn't asking permission; I was notifying them I would be in the area.

you were asking permission ( and doing it properly), but nobody wanted to take responsibility for granting it . jmo

You did what you had to do. I would put this in the notes section of your flight log, left voice message and no answer. Then carry on!

After all it is just a notification

It may be your responsibility to notify them, but it is their responsibility to be available to be notified. You did what you are supposed to do and are free to fly with caution and the knowledge that there may be other aircraft sharing the same airspace.

So you were flying as a hobbyist, but you have the 107? The 107 knows the airspace, hobbyist calls.......either way, if its your first flight, 107 hobbyist or whatever, maybe fly someplace really safe....?

Thanks for all the responses. I live in Northern Virginia so finding any area that doesn't require at least one airport notification is extremely difficult. And yes, just because I have a certificate doesn't mean I can't fly recreationally...

I visited the local airport and the hospital this afternoon to discuss the issue of notification, and the possibly of us signing a memorandum of understanding on how we could work together to ensure a safe flying environment.

I visited the farm airport first and discovered it's literally a 500-foot dirt landing strip that hasn't been used in years. The Chinese owner has eight or nine semi-truck trailers scattered on the runway with their wheels removed that he's using for storage. An aircraft couldn't land or take off from there if they wanted to. I would think this would be an FAA safety concern if an aircraft tried to land there in an emergency. The FAA should remove his airport from their active airport listings.

Next, I visited the hospital to talk with the helipad manager. He wasn't in but his boss wouldn't even come out to speak with me in the visitor's lobby. Speaking through the volunteer receptionist, he said that because they never know when their services will be needed (anytime, anywhere), they refuse to grant any drone flight request anywhere within the five mile corridor of the hospital. He refused to speak to me to let me clarify the FAA rules regarding hobbyist flights.

Any suggestions on what FAA office I should call to talk about these issues?

Get your 107 understand airspace and operate from a position of strength. As a hobbyist you are at a total disadvantage,

I have my Part 107. I'm just not ready to flex those muscles yet. If I can't get this Helipad manager to let me notify him of my hobbyist flights, how will I ever get him to approve a commercial flight? He's under the impression he controls anyone who wants to fly within the five-mile perimieter of the hospital...

• when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport])
This is the written word, that I could find. While it states you only need notify them, it also advises a relationship be developed if you wish to fly there a lot.
Maybe a nice letter, he would probably read it. Ask him out to lunch, to discuss a possible solution that would not compromise the security of their airspace.
You must understand his priorities are to the patients and pilots who can come in with little notice.
Maybe you could provide a cellphone number, where you could be reached, in case an emergency flight is coming in, you could agree to bring your drone down to a low hover, or even land if requested. As long as you actually answer, when and if he calls, things could go well.

Reactions: Nestmac
Hi Bakersfield, yes, I went to both locations today to actually discuss a memorandum of understanding between us that laid out how I could routinely notify them and what information that notification would include. I even had a draft MOU for us to discuss and work from.

Microraptor, everythign I read says you are wrong. Look at the FAA FAQs page. The first seven questions under the heading, "Flying for Fun Under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft," cover hobbyist flying (requires notification only - see Q2 Option 1, and Q6).

According to the FAA Part 107 Summary (attached), flying for commercial purposes requires ATC approval from manned aircraft facilities in Class B, C, D,
and E airspace.

Attachments

• part_107_summary.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 171
It's all been explained to you on this thread....
Hi Bakersfield, yes, I went to both locations today to actually discuss a memorandum of understanding between us that laid out how I could routinely notify them and what information that notification would include. I even had a draft MOU for us to discuss and work from.

Microraptor, everythign I read says you are wrong. Look at the FAA FAQs page. The first seven questions under the heading, "Flying for Fun Under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft," cover hobbyist flying (requires notification only - see Q2 Option 1, and Q6).

According to the FAA Part 107 Summary (attached), flying for commercial purposes requires ATC approval from manned aircraft facilities in Class B, C, D,
and E airspace.

Get a sectional chart for the area and figure out the airspace. If you don't want to fly under 107...fly someplace else.

But i believe that a Part 107 pilot can fly in any uncontrolled airspace. Outside of the immediate boundaries of a Class E facility, Class E airspace does not begin until an altitude of 700 or 1200 feet depending upon the particular facility. Below that is Class G uncontrolled airspace. Since you don't fly above 400 feet, you would be flying in uncontrolled airspace unless you attempted to fly directly over the airstrip or heliport facility. A hobbyist on the other hand cannot fly within 5 miles of a facility without providing notification whether the airspace is controlled or uncontrolled.

Well, the FAA FAQs page includes a link and an 800 number to ask questions if you can't find an answer on that page, so I guess I'll ask them for advice on how to deal with an uncooperative helipad manager that believes he can deny all drone operations within five miles of his facility - hobbyist and Part 107. I'll let you know what they say...

Well, the FAA FAQs page includes a link and an 800 number to ask questions if you can't find an answer on that page, so I guess I'll ask them for advice on how to deal with an uncooperative helipad manager that believes he can deny all drone operations within five miles of his facility - hobbyist and Part 107. I'll let you know what they say...

Why are you going to bother the FAA wit this? .And there is nothing stopping 107 from using Class G airspace around a helipad.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94