No image transmission signal - P3P

Reactions: cliofreak
Hey,
I have p3p gimbal with no live video feed. I bought it as 'faulty' from Ebay. It looks in perfect condition. I have full control over the gimbal pitch via controller however the ap says NO SD and GIMBAL DISCONNECTED in red. There is no green light on the front of the gimbal. The gimbal stays level and motors are all working.
I cant do anything with firmware as NO SD is seen by the p3p.

Do I have the same issue as all you guys or do I just have a broken ribbon or something!?

This is what Im seeing...

Attachments

• IMG_0154.PNG
    IMG_0154.PNG
    573.1 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_0153.PNG
    IMG_0153.PNG
    264.4 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_0152.PNG
    IMG_0152.PNG
    454.1 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_0151.PNG
    IMG_0151.PNG
    845.4 KB · Views: 692
Stabilization works -> gimbal receives 12V power from ESC center board.

Gimbal treated as not connected -> communication between the gimbal and OFDM isn't working.

Check gimbal - ofdm connection with multimeter.

Thanks QDamage. Where would I find the OFDM and maybe you can tell me what that stands for?

You can identify all boards based on info here:
DJI Hardware · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools Wiki · GitHub

If you want to quickly confirm that Ambarella chip on the gimbal works, and has no connection to the rest of the drone - put an old firmware on the sd-card and insert to the gimbal.
The firmware must be old enough to not cause any update.

If you do that, the camera will write update log to sd-card. In the detailed log within "misc" folder, you will find list of modules and either their version or information that a module did not responded.

This is always my first test of a drone condition. Just remember to use very old firmware, or it will start update!

Reactions: Djminkee
Thanks, When I put any firmware on the SD the p3p does nothing. It doesnt update. Its as if there is no SD card in there. It will fly etc presumably using the firmware that was last installed but no signal from the camera. No record to SD. No live video feed. The app says NO SD card even when there is one.

If my p3p isn't seeing the SD card it cant see the old firmware to write update log to sd-card with the detailed log within "misc" folder etc. Am I missing something!?

"isn't seeing" is not very technical.

Do you want to say that after inserting the sd-card with old FW and waiting some time, you don't have any new logs written on the sd-card?

If so, that would mean Ambarella chip on the gimbal top board isn't working.

Yes thats precisely what I wanted to say. In fact, Im pretty sure thats exactly what I said in the post before you wrote 'please read what I wrote carefully'.

OK then.

So we've determined Ambarella is not starting up, but gimbal controller (which gets power from the same 12V ribbon cable) works.

This means either:
- one of step-down voltage converters is damaged,
- software for Ambarella is damaged, or
- Ambarella chip itself, or its RAM chip, or its NAND flash chip is damaged (or needs rebailing)

Solutions of all the above problems require soldering. Do you have the skill and the equipment?

Ok!

First, we'll test voltage converters. There are at least 4 on the board, maybe more... I'm not sure.
Fortunately, all output voltages have test pads - copper circles to which you can press your multimeter probe. And voltages are almost always included in test pad names - ie. "3V3VD" should have 3.3V to GND.

The pads are listed here although without much description:
WM320 Gimbal top board · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools Wiki · GitHub

Check voltages on all the pads while the board is powered. You will find tutorials on how to detach the board from rest of the gimbal on YT.

In case all voltages are OK, for checking part 2 - software - you will need FTDI converter (aka TTL-to-USB), which supports 3.3V signal.

Friend hadn't used his P3P for a year and after updating all FW, App etc we are now getting the 'No image tranmission Signal' message and no live view.
Drone fires up, can take photos, all telemetry data is there just no live view, tried 3 different SD cards, 2 ipad minis 2 and 3, and Android Galaxy S6 which all work fine on my P4P (on android it doesnt display the ''No image tranmission Signal' message but still no live view)

Tried changing the HD settings to custom, removing SD card, rolling RC FW back, tried rolling Aircraft FW back using SD card but this fails.

Need some help please.
View attachment 83038

Just read your thread and I had the exact same issue. I did all the options others suggested and I too was ready to throw the thing away. then somebody mentioned I overheated the circuit board in the gimbal due to the multiple firmware updates I did in a row. One update after the other and I did not have a fan blowing air over the aircraft to cool it. I recall picking up the drone and noticed it was very hot but did not give it another thought until trying to relive what I did to get the "No image transmission signal" error. My drone can fly, take photos/vids, I too had all the flight info, just no live feed image. I bought a secondhand gimbal circuit board off ebay however its still in transit and not fitted. So I cannot definatively confirm the final outcome but the overheating of the board was found in other forums and direct communications with dji support however I dont thing they will confirm this was an issue as it only happens when multiple updates are done continuously. Anyway I am providing this info, so you have something to consider. I have asked to borrow anybodies P3P so I can do a quick camera/gimbal swap but nobody is willing to help. Perhaps you may have better luck.

Just read your thread and I had the exact same issue. I did all the options others suggested and I too was ready to throw the thing away. then somebody mentioned I overheated the circuit board in the gimbal due to the multiple firmware updates I did in a row. One update after the other and I did not have a fan blowing air over the aircraft to cool it. I recall picking up the drone and noticed it was very hot but did not give it another thought until trying to relive what I did to get the "No image transmission signal" error. My drone can fly, take photos/vids, I too had all the flight info, just no live feed image. I bought a secondhand gimbal circuit board off ebay however its still in transit and not fitted. So I cannot definatively confirm the final outcome but the overheating of the board was found in other forums and direct communications with dji support however I dont thing they will confirm this was an issue as it only happens when multiple updates are done continuously. Anyway I am providing this info, so you have something to consider. I have asked to borrow anybodies P3P so I can do a quick camera/gimbal swap but nobody is willing to help. Perhaps you may have better luck.
you need to look at the hidden file on your SD card from the drone. It's under folder MISC\log\P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt. there should be a file there text format. you can open up and look at. look for 2 lines in it that say item not found ( or something along that). DJI was having problems with firmware bricking the gimbal boards. If you do have the 2 lines in the hidden file. contact DJI support. On the DJI forum one of the monitors wrote and I'll try and find it. that if this is found ( the 2 lines) that DJI will repair the drone EVEN OUT OF WARRANTY. I'll look for that thread on DJI forum. It saved me $380 and a few others that I've helped.
UPdate:
Here is that thread from DJI's forum look for DJI-KEN. I would of thought DJI would of deleted it.
Image Transmission Issue Caused by v1.9.60 update - Phantom 3 Adv...
Let me know if it helps.

Last edited:
Well SunsetCatcher I owe you a massive thanks! I had an old P3 Pro gimbal mainboard with the dreaded "Device 08 and 15 not found" error message and decided to try this method. I soldered my FTDI module according to your instructions (Boot0 and Boot1 on Gimbal to 3.3V on Gimbal; 5V on FTDI to 5V on Gimbal; Ground on Gimbal to Ground on FTDI; TX on FTDI to 368_U0_RXP on Gimbal; RX on FTDI to 368_U0_TXP on Gimbal; set FTDI jumper to 3.3V logic). Confirmed 3.3V was present on the gimbal with a multimeter and then plugged it into the computer. Set the CMD directory to C:\ph3pns and followed the tutorial and it went smoothly. Reattached the mainboard to the drone and voila! Image transmission restored! THANKS!

Attachments

• lightbridge_restored.JPG
    lightbridge_restored.JPG
    433.4 KB · Views: 851
  • my_ftdi_setup.JPG
    my_ftdi_setup.JPG
    775.1 KB · Views: 971
  • ph3pns_log.JPG
    ph3pns_log.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 919
Well SunsetCatcher I owe you a massive thanks! I had an old P3 Pro gimbal mainboard with the dreaded "Device 08 and 15 not found" error message and decided to try this method. I soldered my FTDI module according to your instructions (Boot0 and Boot1 on Gimbal to 3.3V on Gimbal; 5V on FTDI to 5V on Gimbal; Ground on Gimbal to Ground on FTDI; TX on FTDI to 368_U0_RXP on Gimbal; RX on FTDI to 368_U0_TXP on Gimbal; set FTDI jumper to 3.3V logic). Confirmed 3.3V was present on the gimbal with a multimeter and then plugged it into the computer. Set the CMD directory to C:\ph3pns and followed the tutorial and it went smoothly. Reattached the mainboard to the drone and voila! Image transmission restored! THANKS!
Great! I glad to help you!

Reactions: CDJ
Hi Guys,
I know you almost answered all the customer in my head.
but here is what happed to me.
i was playing (Saudi Arabia) it was dusty up in the sky (didn't noticed till it was around 100M, try to land it, couldn't, so it landed by it self.
picked it up, there was a burning smell, opened it found the connecter to the Gimbal on the board is burned.
i decided to have a new gimbal, recited it last week, every thing works find accept i can't get an image on the application.
i have tried every method, not his works.
do you think guys this method will solve my problem.

thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT