Night flight laws UK

Reaction score
im looking at doing night flights in the U.K. To fit around my work hours and havE been told that only people with special permission can fly at night

I will be doing recreational flights only, but wanted some more information on this, I cannot find any information anywhere regarding this except section 42 of ANO 393 that says that aircrafts with permits are restricted, but obviously my aircraft doesn't need a permit as it's not used for commercial use

Whist I'm on the topic of regulations, it says we must stay 150M away from congested areas, which included towns etc. So does this mean we can't fly over any houses etc as we can't fly 150M away (above) as the limit is 400ft in height.

This would mean we can only fly over empty field, and water?

Regards

The 150 metre rule is away from, not above, congested areas. A 50 metre limit rule applies to buildings, vehicles and people. This means that if you draw a 50 metre radius circle round a house, you are not allowed to fly within that circle no matter what height you're at.

Edit: The 50 metre rule does not prevent you flying over objects as described above...see post #16 below.

Last edited:
The 150 metre rule is away from, not above, congested areas. A 50 metre limit rule applies to buildings, vehicles and people. This means that if you draw a 50 metre radius circle round a house, you are not allowed to fly within that circle no matter what height you're at.
So that means that we can't fly over our town? As it will be within 150m "from" the built up area ?

Correct .....I know people do it, but they're breaking the law and could be prosecuted and fined.

The same basic rules apply...and having the red lights on the drone keeps it visible within legal limits.

Similar rules to the colonies :) . Here in AUS a recreational flyer cannot fly over built up areas, cannot fly at night, cannot fly over gatherings of people ie e.g. Sports stadium or beach etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

The same basic rules apply...and having the red lights on the drone keeps it visible within legal limits.
I have all the lights on as standard

If we can't fly within 150m of a congested area then we definitely can't fly over a stadium etc...

Is this your interpretation of the 50 metre building Rule? The 50 metre Rule from buildings is to protect privacy and I would liken it to be more of a space bubble over the building rather than a cylindrical exclusion. See this from DroneCode Drone code | Dronesafe

From the CAA website: The Air Navigation Order defines a congested area as being 'any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes'.

TBH the Rules contain many grey areas open to interpretation but rest assured, the Government will have tasked some one to tighten up any grey or loophole areas.

Is this your interpretation of the 50 metre building Rule? The 50 metre Rule from buildings is to protect privacy and I would liken it to be more of a space bubble over the building rather than a cylindrical exclusion. See this from DroneCode Drone code | Dronesafe

From the CAA website: The Air Navigation Order defines a congested area as being 'any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes'.

TBH the Rules contain many grey areas open to interpretation but rest assured, the Government will have tasked some one to tighten up any grey or loophole areas.
The 50 metre rule is definitely a cylindrical exclusion....it's a safety based measure, not privacy. If you are flying 50m above someone and you lose a motor, you could do some serious damage!

Edit: Correction..see post #16 below.

Last edited:
It is definitely not cylindrical

Attachments

• IMG_1074.PNG
    IMG_1074.PNG
    217 KB · Views: 686
Reactions: Wessex
I gotta be honest. I can't justify spending almost £700 on a drone that you can fly over water, with all that tech begging to be used... Well.... I have done lots of night and day flights over a busy shopping centre. I know not everyone will agree and give me the "tsk tsk" look... But.... Your more likely to get hit by a car then a drone... And they let them around people. Maybe if the drones used fuel, then we have to fill them up where the government gets money... Then it would be ok. They are happy to sell us tobacco, beer, fast cars,.. Because they make the government money.. But for drones... They get nothing.. So they impose fines for flying. Screw them... I bought it to fly.. And fly I shall

Neon Euc

Well not according to the CAA. We'll have to beg to differ.

Sent from my STV100-4 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I would love for you to be right and me to be wrong....and I think that may be the case! I based my statement on info given to me by (i) a major drone supplier, and (ii) a friend who has completed his PFAW.
Having done a bit more checking, I'm inclined to agree with you that the 50 metre rule is a bubble, not a cylinder, as item (c) in the extract below does not include the word "over".

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 08.48.25.png

My apologies if I got it wrong earlier.

It's good to share opinions. The way some Rules or Legislation are written sometimes requires a Degree in Law to understand the meaning. I've still a lot to learn myself so let's keep talking.

No apology necessary.

Sent from my STV100-4 using PhantomPilots mobile app

And how many that have just bought a drone and aren't on this forum fly all over? In their case its , ignorance is bliss. And tbh unless something happens they will fly happy in that thought. Police numbers are being decreased all the time, so the chance of being caught are rather slim. Look at drivers using mobiles etc.

Unfortunately very true. I realised the dangers and implications of just flying willy nilly near residences. On Christmas Day there were two requests on a local Facebook page asking locals to look out for their drones that had blown away out of their back garden. Apparently one got theirs back but God knows what happened to the other one. I personally take flying very seriously and will endeavour to make sure I stay within the Law to do so.

It will be a bit like CB radio in the early '80s. Highly illegal to operate on the 27Mhz frequencies causing terrible interference to model A/C flyers whose equipment used that frequency. Many got caught and had their equipment confiscated and many went to court. Eventually the operators either decided to take the Radio Amateur exams and become licensed or they gave up the hobby because of the way it degenerated as the yobs took over.

I can see the Heliquads hobby going the same way.

And how many that have just bought a drone and aren't on this forum fly all over? In their case its , ignorance is bliss. And tbh unless something happens they will fly happy in that thought. Police numbers are being decreased all the time, so the chance of being caught are rather slim. Look at drivers using mobiles etc.
You got that right police here don't like filling paper work twice. I had the local police watching me flying my drone over water ( 8 miles out) only take action if you hover your drone over someone house or fly over a stadium,police station if your doing nothing stupid they don't care.

I remember around 7 years back riding your bike on the pavement they would stop and fine you £60 on the spot.
Now they just ignore you due to lack of police numbers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures