Newbie questions

Reaction score
OK guys, I'm thinking about buying my first drone, but doing some research beforehand and I have a few questions that I'm sure someone here can help with. My drone usage will be purely recreational/hobby only at this time.
1-My understanding is I only need the part 107 if my intentions are commercial use?
2-I live about 2 miles from an "uncontrolled" airport-no controlled airport within at least 50 miles. Do I need to contact anyone for flying in this area?
3-Do I need to register my drone?
4- Are there any restrictions for recreational/hobby flying at night?

I think that's all I have for now, thanks guys!

Part 107 is for commercial use.
Once everything is set up to fly you should get a alert if you are within 5 miles of an airport unless its just a private grass strip thats not even registered as a airport.
You will need to set up a account at DJI.com and register your drone.
You can fly at night with proper lighting so other aircraft can see your drone. I do all my flying at night with led lights in front and back along with 2 strobe lights, one on each side. I'm sure someone else will reply with a link to Phantom Help which will give you all info your requesting.

OK guys, I'm thinking about buying my first drone, but doing some research beforehand and I have a few questions that I'm sure someone here can help with. My drone usage will be purely recreational/hobby only at this time.
1-My understanding is I only need the part 107 if my intentions are commercial use?
2-I live about 2 miles from an "uncontrolled" airport-no controlled airport within at least 50 miles. Do I need to contact anyone for flying in this area?
3-Do I need to register my drone?
4- Are there any restrictions for recreational/hobby flying at night?

I think that's all I have for now, thanks guys!
1. Yes.
2. You will need to contact the owner or operator if you fly within 5 miles of any airport even ones without a tower.
3. Yes. Make sure you go to the official FAA site and not a third party site. FAADroneZone Note also, that for hobby use, you register YOURSELF not the individual drone and you will put your registration number on all your drones. Be sure to select Part 336 not Part 107 when you register.
4. As noted above, you should have lighting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT