New uses for the P3

See ianzone reply. I have seen videos where they use his method to fish.
They attach a loop to a rod on the front of the drone and PULL the fishing line.. Then when they get out over the water, they spin the drone around so the loop drops off the rod and the fishing lure drops into the ocean.
Maybe figure out something like that with the tennis ball - minus the fishing lure of course!
That's really smart thanks!!

I'm currently working on a search an rescue scenario. We will use the drone to search a defined area, for example a grid square, for a person separated from a group, possibly unconscious. Once located we then send in a team to manage the first aid scenario.

That sounds to be a good action. Some fire stations in mountain regions (especially in the Alps) try to use an array of 3 - 4 drones to search for lost persons before they can send helicopters with rescue teams.

Also, just viewed a clip (on BBC News) of a drone delivering a defibrillator to a person with an medical emergency. A summary follows:
- A drone which could deliver a defibrillator to a person suffering from a cardiac arrest is being tested by the Karolinska Institute in Sweden
- Trial flights have shown the drones can arrive at a destination four times faster than an ambulance
- After cardiac arrest, the chances of survival decrease by 10% fro every minute that an individual goes without cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or defibrillator
- Some 300,000 people die of cardiac arrest in Europe each year.
- Therefore a difference in minutes could be measured in lives.

Source – BBC News

Reactions: Neon Euc
Amazing! I think this is a much better use of drones than Amazon using them to deliver packages - a pretty stupid idea.

Also, just viewed a clip (on BBC News) of a drone delivering a defibrillator to a person with an medical emergency. A summary follows:
- A drone which could deliver a defibrillator to a person suffering from a cardiac arrest is being tested by the Karolinska Institute in Sweden
- Trial flights have shown the drones can arrive at a destination four times faster than an ambulance
- After cardiac arrest, the chances of survival decrease by 10% fro every minute that an individual goes without cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or defibrillator
- Some 300,000 people die of cardiac arrest in Europe each year.
- Therefore a difference in minutes could be measured in lives.

Source – BBC News

It´s in Scandinavia in the test phase too also in big cities of Europe and in the US in practice. :)

FLIFLI, FLIFLI, FLIFLI, IS ALL I NEED TO SAY. You can mount this release system to the legs of a Phantom 3 Standard and Phantom 4, they are model specific, so if you order one be sure to order the one which matches your particular Phantom 3 or 4.

Amazon.com: FLiFLi AirDrop Release and Drop Device for DJI ...

This was originally designed for taking a fishing bait out and dropping it off in the water. But now this has been used for Search and Rescue by dropping a line to stranded folks in trees due to a flash flood in texas. I took a water balloon up and dropped it from about 50 feet and of course it went splat. The take off was a bit hairy as the water balloon throws the weight off so you have to correct for that when flying. It will not be an easy flight if your holding on to something heavy for the drone to lift and carry, so keep that in mind when you take off and gain altitude.

The ELECTRIC release button you need to practice with before you take off to make sure that it goes in and out like it is suppose to after you take off. Just be sure to charge up the batteries for the RELEASE and the Main BODY, which you attach to the drone.

The FLIFLI might very well work with other drones similar to the Phantoms, but you will need to do some low level testing first. The biggest problem will be mounting the release mechanism, to the legs of some off brand drone, but with enough tie wraps, you should be able to.

I have been trying to think of new uses for my P3.
Obviously videos and a little fishing too. I got my neighbors cat down from a telephone pole by scaring the hell out of it by buzzing the cat and he jumped all the way to the ground.

I'm not looking to do deliveries for amazon or anything, just something to spice up my drone flying activities.

You can always fly a banner around that says "GEICO SUCKS." Many Americans would appreciate that.

Reactions: Uncle Stumpy
OK, so if you have a field or wide open field........

Put out a 5 gallon pail. What you are gonna do is fly low and fast, then pitch up and "toss" your ordinance (golf balls work great) on the pull up. Try and toss into the bucket. Get your buddies involved - each with different colored or marked "ordinance". It's not easy due to the variables - speed, height, wind, where to start pull up, acceleration of pull up. Initially it may be whoever gets closest, then eventually someone is gonna lock it in and start putting the balls into the bucket. Soon wagers will be out there and the pressure will be on....

Addictive and a lot of fun! Enjoy

FLIFLI, FLIFLI, FLIFLI, IS ALL I NEED TO SAY. You can mount this release system to the legs of a Phantom 3 Standard and Phantom 4, they are model specific, so if you order one be sure to order the one which matches your particular Phantom 3 or 4.

This was originally designed for taking a fishing bait out and dropping it off in the water. But now this has been used for Search and Rescue by dropping a line to stranded folks in trees due to a flash flood in texas. I took a water balloon up and dropped it from about 50 feet and of course it went splat. The take off was a bit hairy as the water balloon throws the weight off so you have to correct for that when flying. It will not be an easy flight if your holding on to something heavy for the drone to lift and carry, so keep that in mind when you take off and gain altitude.

The ELECTRIC release button you need to practice with before you take off to make sure that it goes in and out like it is suppose to after you take off. Just be sure to charge up the batteries for the RELEASE and the Main BODY, which you attach to the drone.

The FLIFLI might very well work with other drones similar to the Phantoms, but you will need to do some low level testing first. The biggest problem will be mounting the release mechanism, to the legs of some off brand drone, but with enough tie wraps, you should be able to.

Sounds fantastic! BUT the price is about 10 times more than I would be willing to pay!

OK, so if you have a field or wide open field........

Put out a 5 gallon pail. What you are gonna do is fly low and fast, then pitch up and "toss" your ordinance (golf balls work great) on the pull up. Try and toss into the bucket. Get your buddies involved - each with different colored or marked "ordinance". It's not easy due to the variables - speed, height, wind, where to start pull up, acceleration of pull up. Initially it may be whoever gets closest, then eventually someone is gonna lock it in and start putting the balls into the bucket. Soon wagers will be out there and the pressure will be on....

Addictive and a lot of fun! Enjoy
and how do you release the ordinance?

They deliver pizzas by done here in NZ (so Dominoes say, but I've yet to see it).

One member flew an orbit round a single tree, over and over for a year, then edited the footage to give four seasons in one orbit.
Not quite as immediate or exciting as some of the other ideas though

They deliver pizzas by done here in NZ (so Dominoes say, but I've yet to see it).

One member flew an orbit round a single tree, over and over for a year, then edited the footage to give four seasons in one orbit.
Not quite as immediate or exciting as some of the other ideas though

I'm not too sure about the pizza thing, but the tree video is a spectacular idea!

I'm not too sure about the pizza thing, but the tree video is a spectacular idea!
I'm doing one for our local council website, flying down the river (me, not the council) past deciduous trees.
It gives me an edge that other operators don't have, cos they don't have the patience. It might take a while but I can charge accordingly.
I've just started, so ask me in 10 months how it's going..

I'm doing one for our local council website, flying down the river (me, not the council) past deciduous trees.
It gives me an edge that other operators don't have, cos they don't have the patience. It might take a while but I can charge accordingly.
I've just started, so ask me in 10 months how it's going..

Excellent. What is the purpose of flying past the trees? The change of the trees during the seasons for advertising? Or a biological study?

The hell with biological study - I hope it looks good as the seasons change, then I'll sell it to the council for promo purposes.
Trouble with New Zealand is it's always bloody green. It's warm and green in the summer and cold and green in the winter. In places though there are some deciduous trees so you can see the march of the seasons.

The hell with biological study - I hope it looks good as the seasons change, then I'll sell it to the council for promo purposes.
Trouble with New Zealand is it's always bloody green. It's warm and green in the summer and cold and green in the winter. In places though there are some deciduous trees so you can see the march of the seasons.

Good man John, might as well make some money while you are having fun with your Phantom!
I wasn't sure what you were talking about but now it makes perfect sense.
A lot of people would be jealous of living in a place that was green all the time. Personally I like the changing of the seasons. I live in Illinois, USA and winter time here can be beautiful but sometimes the driving is downright dangerous. I actually can't wait until I can get some video of the snow.

and how do you release the ordinance?
Hi Uncle Stumpy,

I be tried a few things and nothing is working with 100% consistency. So here is the latest.

You know the cardboard egg containers with the indentations for each egg? Take one and cut out 1/3 of a side, leaving just enough lip at the bottom to hold the egg or ball in place during level and moderate pitch up (10 degrees or so). Install it with the cutout facing aft, as close to the aircraft lateral axis as possible and as high up as possible. I don't have a camera mount so mine is tucked up well inside the gear. You guys with cameras it will hang lowe- maybe tie it down at the bottom of the four arms. I installed it by simply stringing it to all 4 gear arms as tight as ya can.

So fly straight and low level. Start your pitch up. At the release point "twitch pitch" hard enough so the egg or ball falls out over the little lip you left in your cut out. You probably end up nibbling out the lip lower and lower until the twitch doesn't have to be dramatic yet enough so the ordinance doesn't just roll out when you initiate your pull-up. The twitch pitch is just a momentary pitch up (around 30 degrees) followed immediately by recovery to pull up attitude. Twitch pitch much easier in manual mode. Remember if it gets outta hand, flick your S1 back to atti.

Before this I tried the notched coat hanger, mounted notch facing aft and canted about 20 degrees up. But it was a pain to tie string around the balls, keep a good hard knot that would slip outta the notch at the right time ..... also with the ball and string, acceleration caused the assembly to swing - no accuracy whatsoever. Load ordinance by hovering and have your "weapons system officer" hang the knot in the notch, making sure she doesn't get hair or fingers near the props. Saw something similar on YouTube so I can't take credit here. The guy in the video had a P3 with camera I think.

Down the road I might contemplate a solenoid, wired into the gimbal switch on the controller to pivot a spoon shaped "rack" to drop. Something like that would offer the most accuracy. Just not that far along with it yet.

Still fooling around and experimenting.......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT