New pilot (soon)

Welcome to the PhantomPilots Family. You are going to have a blast with your new Phantom.

While you are reading the manual over and over, I suggest you make a “preflight checklist” to follow. That way you can go through the necessary steps to have a safe flight and return in one piece......and not in pieces. Never get in a hurry to get airborne. One missed step in your preflight can be disastrous for your new hobby.

Good luck, and have many, many safe flights !! [emoji106]

Advice (for what it's worth):

Exercise safety at every turn
Exercise common sense at every turn
ALWAYS fly within your skill level
Walk before you try to run
Read the manual and continue reading the manual as a resource/reference point
Know that with each flight, you will learn something new and improve upon your confidence and skill set
If - before you fly - you have doubts about your mission/location, etc. - DO NOT FLY
Practice, practice, practice
Read and learn from the forums
Whether you agree with them or not, ALWAYS abide by the rules, regulations, and guidelines set forth by the FAA and your local city ordinances
Have fun

Welcome to the PhantomPilots Family. You are going to have a blast with your new Phantom.

While you are reading the manual over and over, I suggest you make a “preflight checklist” to follow. That way you can go through the necessary steps to have a safe flight and return in one piece......and not in pieces. Never get in a hurry to get airborne. One missed step in your preflight can be disastrous for your new hobby.

Good luck, and have many, many safe flights !! [emoji106]

Pre-flight checklist!! Good idea, write it down, laminate it, and keep it in the case!! A project for tomorrow morning!!

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Phantom 4Pro, took a friends phantom for a fly, and loved it!!
Good choice, you're going to have a good time with your new addiction! Hah!

It's important to test everything on the craft when you get it. DJI makes great products, but their quality consistency is not stellar. Here's of list of things to check when you get it. If you bought it from a local store you can possibly exchange it if needed. If you buy from DJI and find any issues, returning for an exchange can take about 3wks.

Don't worry if you get a problem, it's not unusual. Many folks get good craft out of the box, but some are unlucky. Just get it fixed under warranty. When you get a good craft, it's great. If you find a minor flaw, you can elect to fly it for while and return later when you don't need the drone so much, as you have a 1yr warranty on most stuff, batteries are 6mos.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
If - before you fly - you have doubts about your mission/location, etc. - DO NOT FLY
I smiled when I read this one, it's a very good suggestion.

Many times during the first year flying my P3P, I remember planning flights using Google 3D maps, looking for interesting POIs and dramatic shots to capture in locations safe and legal. Then, when I show up and assess the area in person, I don't fly for various reasons. It could be wind, too many people, water, too many high wires, or just a bad feeling in general. Most the time I have gone back and flown the exact areas successfully (better weather, less people, etc) but my feeling of confidence was better than the first visit. If it doesn't feel right, I don't fly. I'll wait for better conditions on another day.

That said, now 3yrs later, I will rarely find a place I'm uncomfortable flying if the area is legal and safe, unless the wind is howling. Today I actually seek out more risky flights to capture interesting shots. When I say more risk, I mean if the craft goes down for any reason, the craft is gone forever, such as over water, or in unreachable rugged terrain, etc. Although I use a tracker, many places I fly, a tracker is not going to help retrieve the craft, even though I know where it is.:rolleyes:

I don't fly high risk missions when it comes to putting people or property at risk, because drones can fail occasionally. I've been selling embedded industrial computer solutions for 20+yrs. One thing I know is electronics can fail, and these craft are very sophisticated, technology-wise. I always try to fly a path to minimize risk to others, in case the drone fails to fly as expected some day.

If I lose a craft, I'm OK with it. My newest craft, P4P, has provided me with way more than $1500 of fun and income, so I'm OK with it, other than my emotional attachment to craft firmware 1.3.509, which is awesome, supporting freedoms that newer firmware cannot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottie74
I have 2 recommendations.

FIRST: Look at all the ways people have made human error on YOUTUBE and crashed their drones. Why learn first hand.

SECOND: Go on the FAA site and learn all that you can about flying safely and within the rules (commercial pilots) or guidelines (recreational pilots).

Then go out and have FUN.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka