New phantom stuck in failsafe.

Reaction score
I think there is something wrong with my phantom 2….hoping I am wrong.

I now have 4 flights on it. Two flights ended when it went into failsafe mode by itself and returned home. I was puzzled as my controller battery was not low and both times it went into failsafe when it was within 30 feet and about to land. I brought it in and turned it on just now and the yellow leds were blinking fast. I know this is a warm-up too, so I waited about 20 minutes while it blinked. I then picked up the phantom and rolled it a bit to turn off the battery and it went out of failsafe to normal mode and started looking for a GPS signal.

I then rolled the bird back over and it went back into failsafe mode with the yellow blinking. When I plug it into my PT2 software, it indicates that it is in failsafe mode. None of the switches on the controller work when it is doing this. The controller was on the entire time with a fresh set of batteries.

I have not crashed it and all of the landings have been gentle.

I have all of the latest firmware for the controller and for the phantom.

Could there be a loose connection that prevents the bird from getting a signal from the controller?

Terry

I know you cant take off on failsafe.. 50/50 could be the right toggle switch playing up..

Go into the RC or phantom assist and flick the switches and see if they move the sliders on the screen.
If they don't...
Buy a new switch for 3 bucks..
3 position switch.
Toggle%20Switch.jpg

Open up transmitter and take photo of the wires for notes. Solder and test in the Phantom assist.

If you are in urgent need to get airborne, switch the IOC left toggle to the right (leave IOC in the off position). And also see if they unplug from the control board.

My bet is on the receiver and/or its antenna connections. Based on its actions when manipulating the phantom itself.

Mako79 said:
I know you cant take off on failsafe.. 50/50 could be the right toggle switch playing up..

Tested it and the switch works fine.
It happens when I roll the phantom over.
I let it cool off and then restarted it. It came up in failsafe mode. I waited about 5 minutes and then picked up the bird and rolled it on its side. Failsafe mode went off and then it started searching for satellites.

Do I need to take the top cover off to look for loose antenna connection?

Since its new..I would get it replaced under warranty and not mess with a lemon that failed quality control.

terrylowe said:
Mako79 said:

Tested it and the switch works fine.
It happens when I roll the phantom over.
I let it cool off and then restarted it. It came up in failsafe mode. I waited about 5 minutes and then picked up the bird and rolled it on its side. Failsafe mode went off and then it started searching for satellites.

Do I need to take the top cover off to look for loose antenna connection?

There should be only 1 x 4 pin connector. They come loose easily if bumped.
Just be careful with the tiny screws on the end of each arm on the phantom. Find a perfect Phillips screw driver as they fray easily.

If your going to take it apart. Research procedure on YouTube. Mako is correct the end Phillips screws are a b@#$&. Unscrew them first, then the arm Allen head screws and don't forget the Allen heads at base of arm next to landing gear. Four Allen screws at base of motors can be left alone since motors don't need to be removed.

Be careful removing top, making sure to unplug GPS cable.

Check these cables at receiver and track them to MC to make sure they are seated there also.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416536972542.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416536972542.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 422
Problem solved!
I took the cover off. Thanks for the tips!
I tracked the antenna wires to what I assume is the receiver module. I removed a connector board on top of it and found a loose screw rolling around on the receiver circuit board. I took the screw out, reassembled it and tested it. Comes on and works like a charm now. When I was tilting the bird, the screw was apparently rolling just enough to short out the receiver circuit board kicking the bird into failsafe mode.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 479
Good job. The bigger question...what is missing a screw now? ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl