New DJI Charging Hub for P3 Batteries...

TAZ

Reaction score
Now that the new Charging Hub for P3 batteries is available from DJI: https://click.dji.com/YktYaBtRbocnpUTQ I'm pretty excited. Holly cow, $90! That's far and above anything I've seen out there both in price and functionality.

I'm curious though...does anyone have any insight as to considerations in regards to a car inverter? I know I'm asking for a lot...wanna connect 4 batteries while I'm driving down the road. Anything I'd be well served to consider. On its own it sounds great!

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439522609.750041.jpg

I am considering this based alone on not having to look on the backseat to see if one battery is done so I can plug in the next one. Plus it looks a lot better/safer than the 3-battery eBay strip. That said, there are plenty of threads about inverters here already. Some are working on 12 VDC cig lighter solutions as well.

I am considering this based alone on not having to look on the backseat to see if one battery is done so I can plug in the next one. Plus it looks a lot better/safer than the 3-battery eBay strip. That said, there are plenty of threads about inverters here already. Some are working on 12 VDC cig lighter solutions as well.
Got this one in a couple of days ago-- 3 Batteries in the time that it takes to charge one. best for the buck that I have seen or used. I have the strips -- but they take 3.5 to 4 hours for 3 batteries.
https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/Charger_for_DJI_Phantom_3_charging_3_batteries_and_p/rcdh-dji025.htm

I'm torn on that one too. Haha Just because it charges a single battery slower than the factory (lower current rating). I'm just never happy. [emoji16] Plus, for me, I am on a quest to go to 12 VDC power. But I'm almost tempted to order that one just for the battery side cables/connectors since I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I'm torn on that one too. Haha Just because it charges a single battery slower than the factory (lower current rating). I'm just never happy. [emoji16] Plus, for me, I am on a quest to go to 12 VDC power. But I'm almost tempted to order that one just for the battery side cables/connectors since I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Now there is an idea? Maybe someone will start selling just the cables.

For sure in regards to info in general in regards to inverters. I was more interested in whether there were additional considerations in regards to this device. I already have an inverter that doesn't work great (underpowered). Just wondering if anyone had any insight as to if the this hardware itself changed what one might consider.

Now there is an idea? Maybe someone will start selling just the cables.
I actually ordered the cable and connector that goes inside the P3 to start with. I wish we could find out the manufacturer of the charger you got and see if they sell just the cables. The labels seem lacking though.

For sure in regards to info in general in regards to inverters. I was more interested in whether there were additional considerations in regards to this device. I already have an inverter that doesn't work great (underpowered). Just wondering if anyone had any insight as to if the this hardware itself changed what one might consider.
Try to find a true sine wave inverter. There is the possibility that the modified sine wave won't be an issue since we're just supplying voltage with the factory "charger" (the charging circuitry is built into the smart battery), but at $150 USD, I would rather take good care of them. And find one that has a capacity for twice what you're going to use it for. They work much better (and cooler) at half load than at almost full load.

I actually ordered the cable and connector that goes inside the P3 to start with. I wish we could find out the manufacturer of the charger you got and see if they sell just the cables. The labels seem lacking though.
There is nothing on the labels that identifies the manufacturer-- I just looked-- probably some one room operation somewhere in China-- may even be some patent infringement issues with DJI so the don't want to put a name on it.

Reactions: acherman
If it's charging multiple batteries faster than one at a time it's going to draw more power.

I don't have any real world experience but I've been researching which way to go with regard to an inverter and a 300w Pure sine inverter IMO seems the best option. Pure sine basically gives you the same alternating current as your supply at home. In one case it was reported that by using a modified sine wave inverter it actually damaging a laptop battery after a few months and it would no longer hold a charge. There is lots of information out there usually in relation to RVs and boats. Pure sine inverters are usually 3 to 4 times more expensive than a modified inverter so beware of cheap inverters on eBay, or anywhere else for that matter, claiming to be pure sine.

Haven't tried it, but I have watched them for a while. They probably work fine. Personally, it's not for me - only 70W = slower charging for really low batteries, and I don't like how the cable hangs off the side.

Yeah, it's not something I would use all the time, but I could see me wishing I had one in my bag at some point. An extra opportunity to fly if I'm traveling somewhere and driving all day.
The stock charger is just dumb, right? The smarts are in the batteries? So as long as this provides the power it would be OK?
Thanks!
Alex

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl