New Battery Issues

Thanks guys, I have learned from reading to fly new batteries very cautiously until I have confidence in them.

Thanks guys, I have learned from reading to fly new batteries very cautiously until I have confidence in them.

New LiPo batteries should always be put through a break-in process to help prolong the life. This is the key to keeping your batteries happy.

To break-in a LiPo, just fly it down to 50% and then recharge. Repeat this ten times or so and you're done! You should also be keeping an eye on the battery info page every now and then while flying, just to make sure the cells are staying fairly balanced. You will notice a small difference in voltage across the cells, but as long as it's no more then say .10 volts, it's nothing to be concerned about.

During the break-in process, the internal resistance of the cells drop over the first ten cycles. This is why you will notice that the battery will be cooler after a flight once it's been cycled several times. Flying a new LiPo down to 10% will have a much better chance of over discharging one or more cells since the cells' internal resistance haven't leveled out yet. It will also be much warmer than if you were to land at 50%. Over discharging and high temps are a LiPo's worst nightmare.

My experience comes from owning several large and expensive LiPo's for my Goblin RC helicopter. With a flight time of only 4-5 min, the margin for error to keep this LiPo happy is much smaller.

Last edited:
Try several time discharging to 8% or less and fully recharge it. Do this 2 or 3 times it may fix it. Could be your voltage regulating smart chip needs calibrating and a deep discharge does this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT