My newest "labor of love" video project: looking for feedback

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've done quite a bit of video editing, but this was my first real foray into color grading. Using the awesome Lumetri tools in Adobe Premiere Pro, I spent an obscene amount of time first learning about video color grading generally, then using Lumetri specifically, and finally putting it all into practice with each clip, striving for the difficult combination of a good look for each scene independently and an underlying consistency across the whole project.

I'm not sure I was terribly successful in both objectives, but overall I'm pleased. There's plenty of room for improvement, though. Will you please give me some feedback on how I can do this better? Or perhaps more efficiently? We have some superstars in this forum from whom I would love to learn!

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Live. Laugh. Love. Aloha!

Reactions: chefrd38

I've done quite a bit of video editing, but this was my first real foray into color grading. Using the awesome Lumetri tools in Adobe Premiere Pro, I spent an obscene amount of time first learning about video color grading generally, then using Lumetri specifically, and finally putting it all into practice with each clip, striving for the difficult combination of a good look for each scene independently and an underlying consistency across the whole project.

I'm not sure I was terribly successful in both objectives, but overall I'm pleased. There's plenty of room for improvement, though. Will you please give me some feedback on how I can do this better? Or perhaps more efficiently? We have some superstars in this forum from whom I would love to learn!

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Live. Laugh. Love. Aloha!
Hi Kevin. Well done, there are some really stunning beautiful shots in your vid. But on the negative side, it's like you've wanted to add-in every conceivable effect you can which I found somewhat distracting. I suggest you look to give some more consistency in your editing and transition approach which will result in a more pleasant viewing experience - less is more. You're very lucky to have such a wealth of locations.

Reactions: konidair
Great feedback - thanks! I've done a number of videos that didn't really have any transitions...flash cuts and a few cross fades. If you look at all of the transitions in this video, there's a single cross fade and then about 70% flash cuts. I mixed it up a bit at the beginning to establish a solid connection between the video and the cool rhythm of the music. I stopped it for the most part early on, returning to it a couple of times in a less "punchy" way when it seemed to make sense based on the music. I knew that too much of it would get distracting really fast. It sounds like, for your tastes, I didn't abandon it early enough, which is great feedback for future projects.

The one other exception I made was the sequence of tow-in surfing shots. The reason I chose to edit that as I did was that I had numerous clips of the same scene that I wanted to tie together for better effect. I didn't do multi-clip sequences with any of my other shots so I figured I'd really set that one apart. It also gave me an opportunity to dip my toes in After Effects, and I'm so glad I did. I really like how that sequence turned out. I don't know if it's one of the things you would change in the spirit of "less is more," an approach that I completely agree with generally.

I knew I was pushing some limits at the beginning and certainly may have gone too far with it. I'll bear that in mind going forward. Again, thanks for the valuable input!

Reactions: eeire54
My views echo those already expressed... some absolutely stunning images captured with skill. However, those flash cuts at the beginning are really irritating and add nothing to the video. As for the color grading, the entire video felt over saturated. While this may work with sunsets, when over used just makes the video feel unreal. This is especially noticeable in the surfing sequence. I think you are right that "less is more" is generally more pleasing. I guess it all comes down to whether your labour of love is the love of the content or the love of the tools. I would really like to see this edited more conservatively as the subject matter is definitely the star here and doesn't need technical enhancement to this extent to show it at its best.

Reactions: konidair and Numone
Great visuals, but like others I was not a fan of the flash cuts on a video like this...IMO the music is so important to making a video come together. A more melo Hawaiian style music would have fit much better....had some great surfing video, but those effects kinda distracted from it. Other then that you can't go wrong with that scenery. I'll be in Maui in June and can't wait to bring the drone for the first time.

Great visuals, but like others I was not a fan of the flash cuts on a video like this...IMO the music is so important to making a video come together. A more melo Hawaiian style music would have fit much better....had some great surfing video, but those effects kinda distracted from it. Other then that you can't go wrong with that scenery. I'll be in Maui in June and can't wait to bring the drone for the first time.
If you haven't visited Maui yet, you're in for a real treat. It's a wonderful island with amazing scenery! If you're going to be in the Lahaina area (NorthWest), do yourself a favor and go to The Gazebo for breakfast, get some pancakes (they're all heavenly) and pile on the Hawaiian Coconut syrup. It is to die for! You'll have to wait to get it, but it's worth the wait...trust me.

Gazebo Restaurant | Maui Guidebook

The footage looked like it had potential but the editing made me only watch it for about 20 seconds.

All right guys, with unanimous votes against the flash cuts, I made some changes. Will you please review this new version and let me know your thoughts? I didn't take out all of the "fancy" stuff, just the cutting back and forth at the beginning. I also decreased the saturation throughout the video by about 10%. It would be WAY too much work to change the music at this point, so that will have to come with my next project. Thanks again for all of the input! I just want to produce high-quality videos with no "pride of ownership" so I remain open to critical feedback and willing to make changes. I hope I have demonstrated that here.

Aloha, and mahalo nui loa!

Reactions: konidair
The footage looked like it had potential but the editing made me only watch it for about 20 seconds.
I totally understand why, Ryan. Will you please give it another chance with the new one I just posted? The first 20 seconds of the original is about as long as the crazy cuts last. After that, it's much more chill. But this new one is chill throughout. Thanks for your reply!

I did not mind it , quite dynamic... stunning scenery, one thing in your outro you put that low rez bitmap for your logo, you made such a nice transition to start your logo off then you slapped that low rez bitmap in the centre, I would get rid of that bitmap and animate that logo at the end.
Overall I like your video, good work

I did not mind it , quite dynamic... stunning scenery, one thing in your outro you put that low rez bitmap for your logo, you made such a nice transition to start your logo off then you slapped that low rez bitmap in the centre, I would get rid of that bitmap and animate that logo at the end.
Overall I like your video, good work
Thanks for that! I was thinking about changing it anyway. Now I definitely will. :)

All right guys, with unanimous votes against the flash cuts, I made some changes. Will you please review this new version and let me know your thoughts? I didn't take out all of the "fancy" stuff, just the cutting back and forth at the beginning. I also decreased the saturation throughout the video by about 10%. It would be WAY too much work to change the music at this point, so that will have to come with my next project. Thanks again for all of the input! I just want to produce high-quality videos with no "pride of ownership" so I remain open to critical feedback and willing to make changes. I hope I have demonstrated that here.

Aloha, and mahalo nui loa!

Hi again Kevin.
Yep much better. But Kevin please get rid of those annoying frame jerks in time to the music on the passing shot of the buildings at 0.59, and the dreadful spilt zoom effects on the surfing section at 2.00 - they distract from the skill of the surfers. Less is more! Now I've heard the music, I think you could do with a review on that too, as I don't think it adds anything to the beauty of your video - I don't find it has a "cool rhythm", it's harsh and..... well.... boring. As I said before, you have some really exceptional views in there. You're a very skilled pilot with a great eye for capturing really beautiful shots. But it's the editing that should deliver the story are you telling with your work.

I much prefer the second version. I could picture that playing in a travel agency. The colours are more natural, reflecting the beauty of the content. (Except for the surfing sequence where the board and JetSki just look unnatural). There are still one or two effects that I don't like, but that's purely my personal preference... the stuttering when flying along the canal (?) and that sudden jump when flying towards the motor yacht. I find that irritating, but then maybe I'm just a grumpy old fart. [emoji851]

Reactions: Numone and GoLoves
I totally understand why, Ryan. Will you please give it another chance with the new one I just posted? The first 20 seconds of the original is about as long as the crazy cuts last. After that, it's much more chill. But this new one is chill throughout. Thanks for your reply!
Second version was 1000 times better. I would still remove some of the effects. In this case less is more. The footage is beautiful and should speak for itself. The frame jerks need to go. The effect while surfing almost made me stop the video again:) The effects would be good if you were at a skate park or just water sports where you could up the rythym of the song and the viewer expects it. For the footage you have in this video you want the viewer to be taken on a journey with you and forget they are watching a video. Also just a side note you have to be careful about the shot 25 seconds in. It almost looks like you are flying over people and unless they are part of your crew or under proper cover its a big no no for your commercial endeavors. Great footage though!

Reactions: GoLoves
Loads better, the jerks must go. I must be the only one that liked the split screen of the surfer.
All god really.

Visiting Hawaii next month. Week on north shore and week on Kuaui. Any suggestions. Wondering if you can fly along Na Pali coast. Can't wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan