My final flight (crash footage)

Reaction score
Here is a video of my final flight with my P3A. I was trying to get a shot flying low over the dam and lost situational awareness. Few lessons learned here:

1.) Flying FPV backwards is a bad idea. Especially if you are flying below an altitude where there may be obstructions.
2.) I had a spotter, but didn't clearly convey my expectations.
3.) Always maintain situational awareness. I was distracted by the sun and was more concerned with the sun ruining my shot than I was about the potential collision.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Thanks. Alaska is an amazing place to own and fly our machines. I've ordered another one, which should be here next week. I ended up going with another P3A as I was already heavily invested in the platform with three batteries, a nanuck case, and a backpack. I'll be excited to get back in the air.

Here is the video from the entire weekend in Sitka, everything that I successfully shot before I decided to fly it into a dam (accidently).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Nice footage and what a beautiful spot to film. Your aspect of flying and the ramifications are commendable. Just the simplest mistakes can result in disaster with these machines. Were you flying in DJI GO? If so I would recommend Litchi for these type of flights. Also, I would send the unit in for repair. DJI treated me well when I had a crash similar to yours. I was sent a rebuilt unit for half the price of new. Hats off to DJI.

Nice footage and what a beautiful spot to film. Your aspect of flying and the ramifications are commendable. Just the simplest mistakes can result in disaster with these machines. Were you flying in DJI GO? If so I would recommend Litchi for these type of flights. Also, I would send the unit in for repair. DJI treated me well when I had a crash similar to yours. I was sent a rebuilt unit for half the price of new. Hats off to DJI.

I was flying with DJI, though I have used Litchi. One of the issues with Litchi in Alaska is the lack of good satellite imagery to plan such a flight.

Good tip on contacting DJI. I purchased a used replacement on eBay and was thinking about selling the wreck and functional remote on eBay. I think I can get the cost of my mistake down to $250.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

moment-of-silence.jpg

Sorry for your loss, it's difficult to loose an old friend

Sorry for your loss, one day you will watch this & laugh, well, at least won't cry.
You know, for the tumble she took, it doesn't look that bad, really. As mentioned above, sending it in for a quote on repairs may be worthwhile, would you ever trust her to fly well, again?
I know i'd be nervous flying her.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan