Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Multiple, short flights

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by King Luff, Dec 14, 2015.

1. King Luff

Hi forum,

I'm going to be photographing Christmas lights around a small town tonight and will be taking off and landing at many different locations.

I seem to remember reading something recently on here (can't find it now) about taking off with anything less than 100% battery which i will obviously be doing tonight and have done a couple times before. Is this not advised? I have had a look through the manual but couldn't find anything. If it's in there does anyone know what page?

2. AlexSP

I´ve done that so many times I lost count. Never a problem, but all the flights were done in the same day. If I´m flying the next day then I´ll charge no matter what. If you´re unsure then you can do a short + low flight for one minute or two, just hovering around, then go and do your planned flight and keep an eye on the levels.

Don´t push and always be on the safe side, it´s better that way and you can always take off again another time or day if needed. I learned to be patient and not rush or take many chances. I keep the voltage display ON all the time and always stay above 20% - 3.5V, which I always did anyway with LiPos. I also check every flight on HealthyDrones.com afterwards to see how the batt cells are holding, fortunatelly everything is fine here too.

That´s all that can be done because we never know for sure when or if something´s going to happen. Maybe others have helpful tips as well.

Solar Deity likes this.
  3. King Luff

Thanks for the replies.

I too have taken off with less than 100% charge and in 1 case less than 50%, both in the same day. The fact that i am doing it in the same location probably 5 mins between each flight i think i'll be ok but i will be monitoring battery health very closely.

4. AP4me

I get this is an older thread, but how has it worked out for you? I've been wondering the same thing!

Thanks!

5. RamiAgonistes

I never heard anything about possible failure if you're taking off with less than 100% battery. I mean if you're taking off with less than 20% battery I'm sure you can expect issues but anything within reason should be able to operate fine IMO.

6. Mark The Droner

You might want to do some research.