Motors Stuttering

Reaction score
Hi - My Phantom is 2 months old and I'm having a problem. I removed my propeller guards and replaced the appropriate screws. Now, my motors stutter and do not turn freely. I assumed that I had tightened the screws too tightly after removing the guards. However, after loosening the screws, the problem persists.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what I can do to fix this.

Thank you.

Martin

Jeeze there are like 20 posts on this. I even had to replace my motors. There is a serious issue with the design of the Phantom in that the motors should not be so prone to damage just by using incorrect screws. The Tiger motors I put in do not have this issue.

Even tiger motors would get damaged if you used screws long enough to get into the windings, I cant remember the stock motors and how they compared to my tigers. Possibly more room in the tigers as they are a little taller but still you sholod only use the correct screws with any motor or any other part.

justsomeguy said:
miskatonic said:
Jeeze there are like 20 posts on this. I even had to replace my motors. There is a serious issue with the design of the Phantom in that the motors should not be so prone to damage just by using incorrect screws. The Tiger motors I put in do not have this issue.

This is not a "serious design issue" but rather a lack of common sense from users.

+1

I don't have prop guards, but I assume it says to use the correct screws!

Step 1 points out the stock screws are 8mm and step 2 says the newer screws are 12mm.

Removing the prop guards would be the reverse of this procedure, so remove the 12mm and replace with the 8mm (that have the blue loctite on them)

Hey gang. After a rather horrendous crash I had to order a new shell. After re installing all of my components on the new shell I noticed that hardly any of the new hardware was appropriate. I reused the screws for the motors having had prop guards on the old shell. I did the same stupid ****. Two motors ( forward left, aft right) stuttering.
I was wondering. What if anything can be saved? I have seen vids for new bearings and Noticed it would be a much more economical fix. However, if I must replace and re solder 2 new motors should I just go full tilt boogie and order 4 upgraded motors? Any suggestions would be appreciated. And please don't be dicks. I'm a complete newbie coming at this from a video background not an RC background.

Because the longer screws go into the copper windings, and damage them, there is no hope of reusing the motors.

If you replace them with stock DJI motors, keep the damaged ones on hand for spare parts, such as bearings, E clips, etc.

There is more clearance on the T-motors, but you still must use caution, and use a screw of the correct length.

Okay. I learned to solder and replaced the motors. Everything is back together and the advanced diagnostic has been run. The problem now is that the right aft motor seems to have more lift or is stronger. The entire unit wants to lift there first. It almost flipped over before take off.
When powering down; the right aft motor is the first to stop spinning.
Anyone ever run into this problem?
There is a YouTube video of a fella from the UK with a similar issue where he slows down the footage. The comments there said to run an advanced diagnostic which I have done already. The props are turning the appropriate direction this one motor is just a little off.

Liquidwayno said:
Okay. I learned to solder and replaced the motors. Everything is back together and the advanced diagnostic has been run. The problem now is that the right aft motor seems to have more lift or is stronger. The entire unit wants to lift there first. It almost flipped over before take off.
There is a YouTube video of a fella from the UK with a similar issue where he slows down the footage. The comments there said to run an advanced diagnostic which I have done already. The props are turning the appropriate direction this one motor is just a little off.

Have you been able to fly it yet, or get off the ground into a hover? With my phantom as I'm about to take off I keep a close eye on the craft and correct and left/right-front/back movements with the right stick on the Tx.

I have a front mounted servo gimbal so mine is prone to tipping forward while taking off, but I do find I usually need to correct for left/right more than front/back.

Driffill said:
Liquidwayno said:

Have you been able to fly it yet, or get off the ground into a hover? With my phantom as I'm about to take off I keep a close eye on the craft and correct and left/right-front/back movements with the right stick on the Tx.

I have a front mounted servo gimbal so mine is prone to tipping forward while taking off, but I do find I usually need to correct for left/right more than front/back.

I have not been able to hover. The **** thing just flips over forward left. Ruined my two forward props that were carbon fiber.

Use the naza assistant motor test function, you can power each motor one at a time to check the rotation and also the speed, they should be roughly the same, but if one shows less movement it could be a bad connection on the ESC.

Also, make sure the lid is on straight otherwise the marks showing the prop direction will be wrong. Tho that would result in the phantom staying stuck to the ground, not flipping over

If you re-soldered the motors it could be that the wires are not in the correct position. This will cause them to spin but not always in the desired direction.

Driffill said:
Use the naza assistant motor test function, you can power each motor one at a time to check the rotation and also the speed, they should be roughly the same, but if one shows less movement it could be a bad connection on the ESC.

Also, make sure the lid is on straight otherwise the marks showing the prop direction will be wrong. Tho that would result in the phantom staying stuck to the ground, not flipping over

Thanks Driffill. I hope that is all it takes. The motor I soldered directly onto the PCB works fine. The motor in question had the wires attached with the wire to wire solder joint technique. I tried this technique to ensure the wire colors matched and because the direct to PCB technique required some steady hands which I lack. The first motor resulted in some body plastic being met with a soldering pen. I decided on the more amateur technique in the second motor. Is it possible a bad connection could cause this? I will check the diagnostic first thing tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164