Motors have differing rotational resistance. Does yours?

Reaction score
Greetings,

My phantom seems to fly OK (only had one flight so far) but I am curious about the rotational resistance of the motors.

I noticed that when the props start to rotate upon power up, the two left ones (as you face the battery) start just a fraction of a second later than the right ones. Same thing on power down. They stop before the right ones. Not by much, just a very short interval of time.

So I tested the rotation of each of them by spinning the manually with my finger using the same amount of force. Indeed, the two left ones have more resitance than the right ones.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

I have a similar situation but I think what matters is that when on idle speed the propellers have the same or simile RPM. You can also feel if any of the motors are warmer than the other after a flight. I have a feeling it´s more related to the magnets in the motors than some mechanical resistance.

XL-Studios said:
I have a similar situation but I think what matters is that when on idle speed the propellers have the same or simile RPM. You can also feel if any of the motors are warmer than the other after a flight. I have a feeling it´s more related to the magnets in the motors than some mechanical resistance.

One of my motors was broken before my first flight (at idle it was spinning like the second hand of a clock), and the dealer replaced the controller. That didn't fix it, so they replaced the motor. Now it works perfectly. I noticed that it spins slightly slower than the other 3 motors at idle, but that does not seem to affect the flight performance or characteristics. It's perfectly stable during takeoff, flight, and landing.

Good point you are paying attention to a delicate piece of equipment !
I've done it also and still do check the motors. They are easy accessible and is a must as check it after flight.
But to answer your question. Yes i did had one motor that was a bit less rotable then the other 3.
It was the left back one.
So i kept a eagles eye on it !
I warm weather it was warmer then the rest.
You can feel it with your hands first but your lips are more sensitive in feeling heat.
It kept doing that for 5 or 6 flights and now the motor is like the rest.
It could be that there was a minor misalignment in the motor when assembled and it has to run in so it could turn to normal afterwards.
That motors turn on different speeds when idle is nothing to make a point of.
Its in the air that counts !
So don't panic, be vigilante and measure the temp of the motor direct after flight.
You can see it like you kiss your bird because you're happy she came back in one piece.

Happy flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl