Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Motor auto shot off when Phantom flips.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by campingtomz, Apr 22, 2015.

1. campingtomz

so while flying my phantom yesterday, i nicked my roof and it flipped over. I naturally freaked the **** out and tried to turn off the motors asap, but sadly the didnt shut off fast enough and i broke two props -> :'''( sad face
    AS far as i know there is no fail safe against flipping.

would it be a decent idea to have an auto shot off if the phantom goes over a certain angle on the Axis. lets say at a perfect level the Y: 90, X:0, (reference front and top) if the X goes beyond say 120* your copter is falling out of the sky. and so on with the Y.

IDK just another one of my crazy ideas.

2. N017RW

Not crazy...

The P2 can correct for flipping, but you must admit it is not intended to be flown that way... Right?

The IMU can correct for the unfortunate situation you encountered and until you 'tell' it otherwise is committed to returning the quad to a normal flying attitude.

But... there's the problem of damage(s) from the initial impact, possible subsequent impacts & damage, and altitude available to perform recovery.

CSC was your only option, but apparently not able to activate soon enough to prevent more damage???

#2 N017RW, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  3. campingtomz

the issues is if your idk 20 feet or higher off the ground you hit a line or pole and you go down. it wont matter if the motors are turned off or not. you are going down.

this is more along the ideas of you hit a roof or a tree and its a small fall/landing. both not enough time to correct for flipping and it wont kill your drone if you hit the ground.

N017RW likes this.