Modded p3s what distance should i expect??

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i live in Australia and have a phantom 3 standard with an elite dbs and 2.4 and 5.8 sunhans boosters. My maximum distance to date is 3.4km (2.1 miles) however from around 2.5km (1.5 miles) the video is not smooth and constantly cuts in and out quiet often dropping completely. Im flying in country areas with little to no interference.
My question is from the above setup what kind of distance should i expect to fly around at with reliable video?? What is everyone else getting with this setup?? Ive read so many threads on distance but not so many concerning the phantom standard.
Thanks in advance! [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G360G using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I have a P3S with DBS, but without amps and have gone 1700 meters so far. That's half of what you're getting with amps, so I'd say you're right on the money. That's my next upgrade I want to do. Could I ask, do you have one or two amps on the 2.4 side.

Not sure who you're talkin' to but I have one amp on 2.4 (doesn't matter which one) and one amp on 5.8

I have a P3S with DBS, but without amps and have gone 1700 meters so far. That's half of what you're getting with amps, so I'd say you're right on the money. That's my next upgrade I want to do. Could I ask, do you have one or two amps on the 2.4 side.
Ok thats good to know, thanks, i was getting around the 1700 mark before the amps as well.
Im running one 2.4 and one 5.8 amp, however today i also did the papatitas "magic power 4.0" mod having both remote and drone set to 20dbm and flew 4.47km!! Im more than happy with it now! Lol

Ok thats good to know, thanks, i was getting around the 1700 mark before the amps as well.
Im running one 2.4 and one 5.8 amp, however today i also did the papatitas "magic power 4.0" mod having both remote and drone set to 20dbm and flew 4.47km!! Im more than happy with it now! Lol

The other mod you speak of "magic power 4.0" correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the mod that changes the power output from CE mode to FCC mode? But since you're in a FCC area I'm confused.

"but isn't that the mod that changes the power output from CE mode to FCC mode?"

If I read things correctly you can boost the power beyond FCC.
But that leaves a few questions.
The P3S controller uses a 3.7 volt battery. I doubt you could get more than 150 mw or so with only 3.7 volts.
The bird has the voltage. But does it have the heat dissipation capability ?
I can't see them putting a large heat sink on the output stage when the design only calls for a small one.

Not sure who you're talkin' to but I have one amp on 2.4 (doesn't matter which one) and one amp on 5.8
Thanks for the reply. Was asking because I have heard the same, that only one side of the 2.4 needs an amp. But after looking around found a Sunhans that was a dual 2.4 1000mW (per side I assume) for $89. It's like the silver ones and runs @ 12v. Is that pointless since the wifi card only using one side or the other, not both simultaneously.

I wouldn't say it's pointless, but yes, on the P3S, our understanding is it switches from one transceiver to the other on 2.4 Most people achieve great success with just one on one of the 2.4s and one on the 5.8, but if you wanted to put one on each 2.4 and also one on the 5.8, it wouldn't hurt and it might even help a little. So then you'd have a total of three amps.

P3A/P is different. Each of the 2.4 transmitters do a different job and so it would be silly not to amp both transmitters.

If I was going to buy an amp, I would get a Sunhans with at least 2 watts. And I'd go 2.5 or 3 or 4 watts if I could afford it.

The other mod you speak of "magic power 4.0" correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the mod that changes the power output from CE mode to FCC mode? But since you're in a FCC area I'm confused.
Yes thats correct, from what i understand ive been told by dji Australia is CE, i know before the mod everything was on 17dbm.
Either way with it all now on 20dbm im getting much better distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl