Malaysia Airlines

Reaction score
Hello ,
I'm a belgian citizen ,Next July I want to take my drone to a vacation in australia with friends
We have booked 2 different airlines to fly / There's no problem with Emirates
In kuala lumpur we had to change flights and make a stopover for 2 days - then we move on to sydney with Malaysia Airlines - i've asked the compagny if drones can be transported - the answer was NO ,no drones accepted on the planes even without batteries !!! / is the security that severe ? Has somebody experience with malaysia airlines or Kuala Lumpur airport ? I can't imagine to go without my drone
Thanks in advance Siegfried ;)

I've just checked their T&C's and UAV's are not on their list of banned items of baggage.

If you look here
Malaysia Airlines Baggage Allowance | MAS Baggage Check in | Malaysia Airlines
there is no mention of drones being items that are prohibited...
Also here
Malaysia Airlines Lithium Batteries Procedure
you'll see that lithium ion batteries packed into or carried with an items are fine
and here
Plan - Baggage - Cabin Baggage | Malaysia Airlines
you'll see that you can carry two spare lipo batteries with a rating <100mah.

I suspect they're getting confused and think a drone is some form of personal transportation which, just like nearly every other airline, are indeed banned....

Last edited:
I've already had 3 answers from Malaysia Airlines ,
What should you advise in my place ? going with all the equipment and see what's happening
I think they've changed there security level ..

Answers
1/
Thank you for your correspondence with Malaysia Airlines.

Please be advised that the batteries are also not permitted to travel along either taking as a carry-on or checked baggage.

Hope above is of assistance.
Thank you so much for your correspondence with Malaysia Airlines.

2/
We apologize for the delay in response. Please be advised that regardless of the fact that the drone is going to be carried with or without a battery Malaysia Airlines has a strict policy of the carriage of drones within our flights, Therefore it is strictly not permitted.

Thank you for your correspondence with Malaysia Airlines.

3/
Please be advised that Malaysia Airlines strictly do not permit passengers to take drone with them on board neither as checked baggage nor cabin baggage.

Hope the above is of assistance.

Hmmmm... so they still have to update their T&C's. So it's a change of airlines. Have you checked if Emirates or Qantas / AN Other airline fly Malaysia/Sydney?

i've been stupid - we booked in december emirates (to kuala lumpur) and Malaysia airlines (from Kul to sydney) and qantas (domestic flights in Australia)
emirates and qantas allow drones , i have to look for another solution or take the risk ...

I made an account here just to answer this question. I mailed MA, and received this answer:

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for correspondence with us.

Yes, you can bring your drone (without batteries) in your checked-in baggage as long as the batteries is carried in your hand baggage.

Hope the above information is of assistance and if you have further clarification do not hesitate to call our 24 hour call center on 1 300 88 3000 or you can click on the below URL to find the contact details of your respective vicinity. www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en.html

Hi Thomas ,
What nice of you ,doing this !! Thanks a lot with this answer . I'm going to use this on my way to sydney
Flydream is back

Just arrived in Phuket from Kuala Lumpur with Malaysia Airlines. Got my drone in a checked-in baggage, and my remote and the battery in my handbaggage. No one said a thing, and it went just fine.

Their answer is actually inconsistent. I tried calling from their call centre and told me that drones are not permitted. However, when I emailed to [email protected]om, the answer is actually different. They said that it is allowed as long as your carry on baggage doesn't exceeds to 10kg. I have a attached their reply for your reference. :)

Attachments

• allow.JPG
    allow.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,076
Dear All,
Can we fly drone in Malaysia ?
There seems to be mixed responses. Also wanted to know the latest update on drone laws in Malaysia.
Planning on a visit to Malaysia soon and wanted to check if Malaysia airlines let you hand carry the drone (DJI Mavic Pro )and batteries in Lipo bags. (Btw I’m flying from Seoul to KL with Malaysian Airlines )

Would like to hear any recent updates on this.

Thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan