lost control on take off

Reaction score
I have the P3pro with about 50 flights. 2 times in the last 15 flights after doing the exact same preflight as soon as I slowly lift off at about 1-2 feet up the drone starts moving quickly sideways, I push the control to land and of course it crashes, The first time it was headed for the lake and today it was headed for a close by wooded area; Anybody have any ideas; again same fight procedures and twice in 50 flights; thanks, dave

You say slowly lift off.
Not much else to go on.

I always take off full throttle til 6-10 feet. No need to hang out close the ground and risk wind currents or ground effect interactions.

These flights all in same locations or spots?

My guesses based on such little information:
You didn't wait for a home lock before you took off in what sounds like ATTI mode.
You took off tentatively instead of with full throttle. (As N017RW also noted)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Philltayl
Dave, and In Oh One Seven, I have the P3A and have purposely hovered mine near the ground and taken off like you, very slowly, just out of curiosity, and never seen what you describe. N is right, it is best to get out of there, but I have forced mine to hover at a foot and maybe 6 inches and it behaves as it should on a fairly calm day. Windy days it dances a little, but stays overall within a maybe 3 foot diameter. Wish I could be of more help.

So same preflight may not mean correct preflight (just saying) - do you have full GPS lock before takeoff? (green GPS), is compass calibrated? Is it moving sideways due to wind (perhaps you were accidentally in ATTI mode due to bumped switch - is that check part of your preflight?) just some thoughts anyway

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What happens if you take off in atti ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Aside from taking off, craft has no gps to assist in flight positioning so if windy one could loose control, particularly if one did not realise RC was in Attitude (ATTI) mode (accidental bump switch or whatever )

Aside from taking off, craft has no gps to assist in flight positioning so if windy one could loose control, particularly if one did not realise RC was in Attitude (ATTI) mode (accidental bump switch or whatever )

Thats why I asked what happens if "evad" takes off in ATTI to see if the Phantom still wants to go sideways on its own or weather he can then control it .

evad have you tried to calibrate the IMU? Perhaps it is out of whack and trying to make corrections that are not required after lift off.

You always have full control in atti. If you're drifting all that is required is a simple correction.

thanks, but that is not quite true - yes one has the opportunity to have control, by manually flying without the assistance of GPS, but one does not always have control of aircraft by default ie if say AC is drifting (just like if a car starts drifting on a corner), without the skills and confidence to correct drift, it is possible to loose control, and more difficult to retain control in many situations. I was offering a possible explanation to OPs question.

Last edited:
Always take off with a positive action and then hover 5/6 feet to stop and think.......

Taking off with low 'throttle' is not the best idea. If you want to hover at 1 foot then decend once stabelised. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl