Looking to buy phantom 3 standard.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the questions I have. I want to know if it’s possible to use all the features of the P3 standard without wifi or cellular data.

I’m buying this for my dad, who is pretty old school and doesn’t have a smartphone with data.

So he will essentially be using this in a remote area, with a iPad I’m also giving him.

I want to know if he will be able to use the iPad to see what the drone sees in real time without data or wifi. And also if the drone’s return home feature will work.

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the questions I have. I want to know if it’s possible to use all the features of the P3 standard without wifi or cellular data.

I’m buying this for my dad, who is pretty old school and doesn’t have a smartphone with data.

So he will essentially be using this in a remote area, with a iPad I’m also giving him.

I want to know if he will be able to use the iPad to see what the drone sees in real time without data or wifi. And also if the drone’s return home feature will work.

It will work. But You need internet to update firmware and apps.

Last edited:
If the Ipad is wifi only you won't have follow me, but the live view and RTH will work just fine.

Thanks for answering my questions. I also noticed that it said something about not having the sensors for indoor flight? Id assume that means it won’t stop itself before crashing into the roof or something?

Thanks for answering my questions. I also noticed that it said something about not having the sensors for indoor flight? Id assume that means it won’t stop itself before crashing into the roof or something?

It uses gps only for positioning, no visual sensors. Yes, you can hit the roof, walls, the wife, cat, anything in the room with you.

Perfect. Thanks. I was concerned you needed wifi for the fpv streaming to the iPad because of the description talks about having a wifi range extender or something. Lol

There's some confusion here.
The device (iPad) will have to have Wi-Fi. That's how the Phantom remote sends the video to the Go app on the device for a Standard.
Is your question asking if the device must have Wi-Fi, or are you asking if your dad needs internet via Wi-Fi?

I was concerned you needed wifi for the fpv streaming to the iPad because of the description talks about having a wifi range extender or something.
The description is referring to connecting the mobile device to the remote controller's Wi-Fi network. All compatible mobile devices come packed with Wi-Fi, so you'll be good to go no matter which mobile device you choose. If any of the Internet-related features are needed (e.g. downloading the maps in DJI GO), that can be done before heading out to fly in a location where the mobile device is able to connect to the Internet.

Ah ok. That answers it. I didn’t realize wifi and internet were different to be honest with you. Lol

No worries. A lot of people are confused by that :)

Reactions: Newbieguy
Since you’re here, I may as well ask more questions. Lol. Does the thing hover? Like if you hit up on the remote, when you release up does it hover or drop?

vertically it will hover when you release the left / throttle stick , whether in P mode or ATTI mode -- switch S1 , P mode --- GPS , ATTI -- no GPS , P mode it will not move in any direction without input from you , ATTI mode it will hover vertically but will drift with the wind since it's not using GPS .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka