Longer Flying time on Vision

Reaction score
Having seen a video demo of the Vision it seems to have a fair bit longer flight time (18- 20 mins). I wonder if they will eventually release a version with the benefits of the Vision but with the option of a gimbal and gopro rather than its fixed camera?

Not my video!
https://vimeo.com/73860340

Interesting vid - not seen that one before. Impressive flight time (dubious comment about hovering using more battery than flight at the end there.... none of my tests have shown that fact to be true given the load used to fly around!).

I have to admit I've not read up a huge amount on the vision other than the basics. The 'intergrated battery' is news to me and a slight cause for concern from a cost/availability perspective. It sounds like it won't be a standard Lipo pack but a custom built battery with integrated on/off switch. I wonder how much 4 of those will cost and how soon they will sell out after release.

Question remains in my mind.... if the upper shell is the same size as the original, how do you get 18-20 mins out of a heavier Phantom? I've yet to see just 9 inch props and a bigger/dual battery on an original hit 15mins let alone that?

I guess if they keep the wight down as the vision camera may be quite light and lighter then a gopro3 on anti jello mount or gimbal I would expect. The battery if you could get a 5000mah in there but one thats custom and minimum weight its possible to make a vision setup under 1200g like that I think. It would need some better props but going by my flight times on a 2700mah battery with 9050 triblades at 1157g maxing out at 10 minutes. Double the battery capacity and keep total weight there or even lower with some better props 18 minutes should be quite possible.

I have no idea what my max flight time would be with no cam, FPV or even my heavy anti jello mount. I suspect it should get close to 14-15 minutes but Id get bored flying LOS for that long so I havent tested or flown with a cam or FPV in quite a while. ;)

Here is my battery life test on my setup with one cam also after I looked at all the vibrations to try and fully eliminate jello without a gimbal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtVGPx09KA[/youtube]

The video is interesting but I dont get the point of the "radar" feature, isnt it simple enough using the traditional FPV OSD method of showing an arrow to home and distance?

The last known GPS location is a good feature though so you can help find those flyaways :lol:

The new prop method is interesting too with props just threaded on in cw and ccw with the rotation of the motors keeping the props on. Colin also says in the video flight time is 20-25 min with new 9 inch redesigned props, I want that lower shell minus the vision and new battery pretty badly right now :mrgreen:

I do like the LED's on the lower shell rear legs much better indicators but I really dont have any need for the vision camera itself, but all the other new things are pretty nice.

Just seen that there is likely to be a Phantom 2 as well as the Vision. And a price drop on the original Phantom from Monday 9th September to around £350! So glad I waited!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl