Long Litchi Run

Wil a P3S make and one way 5.4km at approximately 120m high. I would be able to be have my wife drive me and stay with it just curious at the max distance others have done a litchi mission.
Theoretically it would work. Sounds ripe for potential problems though. Make sure your max range doesn't have some kind of limitation which will surprise you. Think it all through. After you land, I would be sure to turn the AC off before the controller.

Edit: I assumed you were talking about a controlled flight. If you're talking about a waypoints mission, no it won't work because the first and last waypoint have to be relatively close to each other. Litchi won't allow you to save the mission if you plan it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Theoretically it would work. Sounds ripe for potential problems though. Make sure your max range doesn't have some kind of limitation which will surprise you. Think it all through. After you land, I would be sure to turn the AC off before the controller.

Edit: I assumed you were talking about a controlled flight. If you're talking about a waypoints mission, no it won't work because the first and last waypoint have to be relatively close to each other. Litchi won't allow you to save the mission if you plan it that way.
Bear in mind all you have to do is make another waypoint to come back home and they are literally right next to each other.
To the OP - what I do is I have several mission types I use to test the winds so to speak. Out and back in the direction I want to go repeat until I have the total miles I want to fly. Then I fly it using a fresh battery. This will account for wind both ways and is within sight so you can recover if something goes wrong. Sometimes I make a zig-zag pattern, sometimes a square spiral - depends on the area I'm in. Always a good idea to test the waters.

To the nannies and naysayers - the man has already said he's taking his 107 - so he knows the rules. He stated he lives in the country with nothing but trees between - so whoop-de-do on VLOS. Sometimes the "rules"just don't apply because they are intended for the 80%. The other 20% - who cares? We're all adults here. Y'know they launch big home-brew rockets in the boonies of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Nobody cares because there's nobody else to affect.

Giant Leap Rocketry Big Rocket Kits

Bear in mind all you have to do is make another waypoint to come back home and they are literally right next to each other.
He mentioned "one-way" so I assume he wants to do a one way flight roughly three miles out and then land. Litchi missions don't work one way. He could just fly it one way with the control signal and land, but it's complicated - or it can quickly become complicated.

Technically he can do a one way mission using litchi and its simple. All he has to do for the last way point is make the waypoint action selected as "hover" then make sure smart RTH is turned off. This will keep the drone hovering in one spot. When the battery gets to 10% it will start to land where it is straight down

Technically he can do a one way mission using litchi and its simple. All he has to do for the last way point is make the waypoint action selected as "hover" then make sure smart RTH is turned off. This will keep the drone hovering in one spot. When the battery gets to 10% it will start to land where it is straight down
Litchi must have changed their software for missions then. Because it used to be, if your last waypoint was not close to your first waypoint, the mission could not be saved or implemented.

Thanks for the update.

The way I have it saved is only 2 points start and stop and have it set to hover. Because I'm not sure how exact that way point is

He mentioned "one-way" so I assume he wants to do a one way flight roughly three miles out and then land. Litchi missions don't work one way. He could just fly it one way with the control signal and land, but it's complicated - or it can quickly become complicated.
"Tomorrow I want to send my P3S to my brother-in laws and just say hi from the drone as he watches in amazement. The flight round trip is 5.4 miles and Litchi says it will take 15 minutes at 30 mph and a height of 200 feet. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? This would be my longest Litchi flight by far."

Reactions: Neon Euc and Matt B
It def will. This was my longest flight. 14 mins plus you have to add an extra 4 mins on top of that as I loaded the mission up as it hovered and had to bring it back. Total air time was 18 mins. Landed at 15% battery.
1516335851101.png

Best tip I can give is to load the mission up before the props even spin. I didn't and by the time my mission loaded and got to waypoint 1 my battery was down to 90% all because I was hovering in the air as I was loading the mission lol but lesson learned I guess

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
It def will. This was my longest flight. 14 mins plus you have to add an extra 4 mins on top of that as I loaded the mission up as it hovered and had to bring it back. Total air time was 18 mins. Landed at 15% battery. View attachment 93710

Best tip I can give is to load the mission up before the props even spin. I didn't and by the time my mission loaded and got to waypoint 1 my battery was down to 90% all because I was hovering in the air as I was loading the mission lol but lesson learned I guess
Thanks for the info

Reactions: Neon Euc
To the OP - what I do is I have several mission types I use to test the winds so to speak. Out and back in the direction I want to go repeat until I have the total miles I want to fly. Then I fly it using a fresh battery. This will account for wind both ways and is within sight so you can recover if something goes wrong. Sometimes I make a zig-zag pattern, sometimes a square spiral - depends on the area I'm in. Always a good idea to test the waters.

To the nannies and naysayers - the man has already said he's taking his 107 - so he knows the rules. He stated he lives in the country with nothing but trees between - so whoop-de-do on VLOS. Sometimes the "rules"just don't apply because they are intended for the 80%. The other 20% - who cares? We're all adults here. Y'know they launch big home-brew rockets in the boonies of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Nobody cares because there's nobody else to affect.

Giant Leap Rocketry Big Rocket Kits

Kewl, so if I'm in the middle of nowhere, its fine to drive my viper at 200mph?! Hrm, sure, until I run into a cop, then my car becomes property of the state, and my arse suddenly is sitting behind bars. Jeeez.

Yeah, he's taking part 107, and should know the rules, but doesn't appear to give a shinola. I truly hope he failed miserably, after telling the FAA about his 5 mile litchi flight the day before.

Just because you don't get caught doesn't make it any less illegal. Rural areas weren't excluded in the FAA regulations, whether you like it or not. The rules are what they are and aren't up for debate. They're THE RULES, and they're federal. Its because of stupid, "its not illegal if I dont get caught" attitudes like yours that cause more and more of our freedoms to be taken away every year.

It truly scares me that I have to share the road with people like you, much less airspace. But, *please* continue to do moronic, childish crap, making sure to brag about it online. Afterall, the gov't is broke, and could surely use your input.

To anyone that this offends, save your reply, as your opinion means as much to me as [psuedo logical] laws and regulations do to you.

Reactions: nacraracer
Y'know the FAA more or less looks the other way in many instances because they realize that responsible flight beyond VLOS is necessary.
Take farmers. They routinely use drones to inspect the crops. It's a huge time and resource saver for them because they don't have top spend hours travelling by truck into the fields.
So they program missions to fly and review the video to find problems. They know it's "illegal" but the benefits of teh aerial inspection is too great to ignore because the FAA is taking awhile to get into the 21st century.
News crews are begging for permission to fly over crowds and the FAA is finally granting exceptions to do so. The pressure is on to change the rules to make it allowed without exception.
The onus for these relaxed restrictions will be placed on the operator where where it has always been - it just essentially de-criminalizes the act.
Government is always ponderous and resistant to change - but change is indeed coming.

After taking the 107, passing with a 93% and reading all of the posts I have decided against such a long flight. I did however complete a VLOS flight around my land and field behind my land on a way point mission in Litchi at 5.4 miles and completed it safely. It took 15.10 minutes to complete and landed with 38% battery. The wind was very minimal. I am also wanting to pursue part time work with the drone so I decided to not take any unnecessary risks. Again, thanks for all of the replies. I really do appreciate your comments.

Reactions: Neon Euc and RodPad
Doesn't matter if anybody agrees or disagrees.
Thanks for you conclusion.

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Kewl, so if I'm in the middle of nowhere, its fine to drive my viper at 200mph?! Hrm, sure, until I run into a cop, then my car becomes property of the state, and my arse suddenly is sitting behind bars. Jeeez.

Yeah, he's taking part 107, and should know the rules, but doesn't appear to give a shinola. I truly hope he failed miserably, after telling the FAA about his 5 mile litchi flight the day before.

Just because you don't get caught doesn't make it any less illegal. Rural areas weren't excluded in the FAA regulations, whether you like it or not. The rules are what they are and aren't up for debate. They're THE RULES, and they're federal. Its because of stupid, "its not illegal if I dont get caught" attitudes like yours that cause more and more of our freedoms to be taken away every year.

It truly scares me that I have to share the road with people like you, much less airspace. But, *please* continue to do moronic, childish crap, making sure to brag about it online. Afterall, the gov't is broke, and could surely use your input.

To anyone that this offends, save your reply, as your opinion means as much to me as [psuedo logical] laws and regulations do to you.
I suspect most don’t take offence to the occasional seemingly illiberal and hidebound response, it’s par for the course on most forums. You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone.

Good evening All,
I have been flying pretty long (long to me) distance flights with Litchi here lately. Tomorrow I want to send my P3S to my brother-in laws and just say hi from the drone as he watches in amazement. The flight round trip is 5.4 miles and Litchi says it will take 15 minutes at 30 mph and a height of 200 feet. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? This would be my longest Litchi flight by far.
This guy dirty bird use litchi all the time

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT