Litchi

McDerp, yep sure does. Many of us think it is much better than DJI GO. At least mine is still flying whereas a lot of the DJI units are not according to the posts here. Could be because I have not done any updates since I last tried in November. I got the error that the GO app would not run on my iPad, which was exactly what I had been running it on so that is when I switched. The automatic flights are amazing to me. I can use a Google map and draw the route I want and set waypoints where ever I want. I can then program these waypoints with speed, altitude, camera orientation and several more variables. The app is then uploaded to the drone and it takes off, flies the route obeying the commands saved, and then returns home to land where it took off. I can set a mission up, start it and do something else if I want to, and then later go pick up my drone and watch the video. Litchi also has several other modes including the FPV, (first person view) which is normally used for manual flying. I still use it some but mostly I fly with the waypoints.

Good luck and check back here often. There is a lot of good information here and always someone to help out if needed.

Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: NorthcountySD
In my opinion no other app gives you more suburb video results when using waypoint mode than litchi
So easy and simple to use with so many options
Give it a go

What other apps are you comparing it to? I use Litchi and Autopilot for waypoint missions. Both are good and you would be hard pressed to find any difference in video results. Litchi is great for people that just want to plan and fly a mission with as little fuss as possible. Autopilot on the other hand, is more complex, and costs more. With the complexity comes many more features, and a steeper learning curve. It all depends on what floats your boat.

I can set a mission up, start it and do something else if I want to, and then later go pick up my drone and watch the video.
Jim, please do not do this. You may not have considered how risky this is, and the danger it can present to other people. Once you have thought that through, you'll understand that this is exceedingly irresponsible.

While Litchi has settings to control what happens when disconnected from the RC, it is strong recommended AGAINST flying an autonomous mission without being in contact with the bird at all times, capable of taking control at any moment to prevent an accident.

The rest of the world doesn't know about your mission, no flight plan has been filed. There could be a human being anywhere along your mission, no matter how remote. A poor GPS signal can cause your aircraft to crash into a tree and drop on somebody's head.

Finally, there are many laws you can get nailed with if this happens. The congressional carve-out for hobby sUAV use will not save you in a situation like this.

Please fly responsibly.

I'm an IT guy (retired) and generally haven't had problems with complex software, but for some reason I have more issues understanding Litchi than DJI GO. The big benefit I see with Litchi is definitely with Waypoint planning/flight, although I still don't get how you set the POI so that it can be used by Waypoint or other modes (anybody can help?). I find GO very intuitive, for the most part. Video feed does seem better in Litchi, but setting to 5 Hz channels seems to help GO's quality.

You place the POI on the map. Then, tap one of your waypoints and a dialog box opens. There are many setting you can choose with one being whether the camera looks at the POI. You can have several POI’s and each waypoint can be set to view any of them.

To place a POI on the map, tap the pin icon which will change its function.

Geo

With litchi can you just manually fly the drone around the same as DJI go4? Or is it only waypoint.

Ha

Having used Lichi in the past I prefer FPV Camera. It's rock solid and brought my quads back safely every time in over 200 missions (P4, Mavic and Inspire 1)
Lot's of features, Goggles and superb flight logs

I use both Litchi and FPV Camera for FPV flying. Recently I preferred a Litchi because I like the voice flight data announcements and the fact that it’s logs automatically get uploaded to healthydrones. For waypoints definitively Litchi. However for FPV I would use FPV Camera more likely if voice and Healthydrones would be added.

@swoserin, place POIs first, before waypoints if at all possible. Then, when placing waypoints, Litchi will automatically configure the WP to look at the nearest POI, saving you from having to configure it. All you have to do is set WP altitude.

Then only the WP exceptions require any fiddling.

@F3honda4me, yes you can fly the Mavic with Litchi in FPV mode just like GO4. In fact, its called "FPV Mode" in Litchi.

In addition, you can clamp your phone into a set of VR goggles, put Litchi into VR mode, and fly VR FPV! It's very cool. Litchi can be configured to do head-tracking (subject to the sensors on your phone), controlling gimbal tilt and aircraft heading according to where you're looking.

I'd like to pose a question to those using Litchi. I want to know if I can program a waypoint to do an orbit. In other words, I want to fly the P4 to a predetermined location, then have it execute an orbit around that point, then RTH after a specific time, all autonomously. I haven't found anything in the manual that suggests this is possible, although I can't imagine why it can't be done.

Sure! I use it frequently. I set waypoints to get to the site then drop a waypoint every few feet around the object until I get the results expected. It helps to zoom in close to get accuracy
Jim
WA5TEF

Thanks for mentioning this approach. I'm not using the camera. I'm flying a payload that needs to move in a smooth circle, and that is what orbit does. So I need to get to the waypoint then use orbit, not discrete waypoints.

I thought that last one posted. Anyway here it is again.
Set your orbit up around your target and have the drone enter the orbit straight from the takeoff point straight into the near side of the orbit. It will continue to circle until you take over.
Jim
WA5TEF

WA5TEF: I know I can do this, but my requirements include having the drone make so many circles and then go back home without intervention. As I see it, the current capability of Litchi does not allow this, only a manual return. I am seeking a method to accomplish this, so I was wondering if anyone has found a way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor