Lets see some stills

Thanks! That’s a good question about setting the home point. Photography and post-processing I know. Flying a drone? Not so much. I think I panicked when I lost connection and to regain control I flipped the right switch instead of the left switch which I believe caused the home location to be reset to the location of the drone which just happened to be above the water. It started slowly descending toward the water. I moved to flipping the right switch and was able to regain control.

Whew! I think I’m going to go to my practice location and work on regaining control after losing connection. I’m starting to learn that flying under normal conditions almost never happens and you need to expect the unexpected.

I just read recently that to manually set the home location, it is the LEFT switch, the S2.... not the right one. You switch the S2 switch back and forth between Home Lock and Course Lock 3 to 5 times to set a new home point. So, I hope that helps. I am learning too. I haven't taken mine up at night yet, like you have. Just another nerve racking hurdle to overcome. I am enjoying it though. 30 flights and no real problems yet.

One more from Leipzig/Germany

Attachments

• Aerial_Ost_Weiser-1.jpg
    Aerial_Ost_Weiser-1.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 375
@180degreephotography

You've got some beautiful shots, surely that's not the stock Vision+ camera? Do you mind sharing what setup you're using to get those great quality stills?

Sure. It’s the stock camera but shooting in RAW. Adjusting the exposure when shooting to retain as much detail as possible and the manipulating the image in the RAW input into Photoshop. After that I reduce the noise in the shadow areas and then smart sharpen the whole image. All the images I work on have different settings depending on the image but every image goes thru this simple work flow. A lot of this is personal preference but making sure white is as white as it can be without blowing out and black actually looks like a full color black and not washed out. Does that help?

Wow I'm majorly impressed. I've not had any experience with RAW photos and naively figured "how big could the difference be", apparently it's monumental. So from the default camera settings, obviously you change the format and the size, but are there any other settings you adjust that are universal or do you tweak the settings depending on the landscape and lighting?

It is. You can’t really adjust the JPEG without it breaking apart. I usually try to shoot at ISO 100 and then adjust the EV control plus or minus for highlight and shadow control.

I am a professional photographer, and I only shoot in RAW. All the time. It makes a world of difference. It give you complete control. You can manipulate like crazy if you shoot in Raw. Not in Jpeg. I have been shooting in jpeg the last couple of days, for the first time, only because I am testing shooting aerial panos. And RAW just takes way too long, in order to capture enough panos in Raw. I would have to bring the copter down and change batteries in the middle of a pano. Which would ruin the pano. So I have to shoot Jpeg. and jpeg sucks. Big time.

This farm machinery dealership site has an interesting history.
They took over the coal yard of a dis-used railway branch line from Harrogate to Northallerton.
There's a lot of interesting photos of the location before and after closure here
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sinderby/

Not sure but I suspect there is still a trace of the platform edge visible in the yard?
The station buildings were becoming derelict but were in the way and finally demolished when the adjacent motorway was widened in 2010

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5577/149 ... dd42_o.jpg
14974154419_dae3e1b6bb_b.jpg

This moring at the marina.

Attachments

• Matin.jpg
    Matin.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 398
Sanibel Island, Florida looking to the east.

7574062_orig.jpg

3343969_orig.jpg

Snake Creek Sandbar, Islamorada, Florida

6879288_orig.jpg

Cayo Costa Island near Pineland, Florida

2592603_orig.jpg

2437997_orig.jpg

A local high school in Ft Myers, Florida

2930380_orig.jpg

A campground near Lafayette, Indiana

257226_orig.jpg

An RV plant near Howe, Indiana

9974887_orig.jpg

180degreephotography said:

Charlotte from Freedom Park which is a few miles away. I wanna do a shot that includes the fountain and the city in background. Maybe next time. I thought I might be pushing my luck after losing control this morning.
very nice photo... may i ask what method you use to reduce the noise in the photos? I assume this was taken with the Vision+ right? care to share any other post processing tips? you do an excellent job in the post processing of the Vision+ pics. I use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS6. My typical enhancements include the vibrance, clarity, a touch on the saturation, highlights usually all the way down to 100 depending on the sky, lens correction of course, the noise reduction never appears to work that well for me... any advice is much welcome...

It really depends on the photo as far as the noise reduction. I start with “reduce noise” in Photoshop. If that doesn’t do it I then move to “smart sharpen” where it also has a noise reduction. If both of these don’t do it (and sometimes it doesn’t) I start breaking the image apart with layers and only apply the noise reduction to the shadows (where it’s always the worst) and then combine that with the original image to retain sharpness. Whew! A lot of it comes down to finessing the image and it just takes doing it and figuring out what your personal preferences are. Some people like images over-saturated and sharp and others like them more neutral.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

180degreephotography said:
It really depends on the photo as far as the noise reduction. I start with “reduce noise” in Photoshop. If that doesn’t do it I then move to “smart sharpen” where it also has a noise reduction. If both of these don’t do it (and sometimes it doesn’t) I start breaking the image apart with layers and only apply the noise reduction to the shadows (where it’s always the worst) and then combine that with the original image to retain sharpness. Whew! A lot of it comes down to finessing the image and it just takes doing it and figuring out what your personal preferences are. Some people like images over-saturated and sharp and others like them more neutral.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Great results. Did you shoot in RAW?

No worries. Yes. Everything I shoot I shoot in RAW. It’s the only way to get the results you see. JPEG on this camera doesn’t have the dynamic range and the metering isn’t precise enough. You have to be able to manipulate the image after it’s shot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart