Laws and regulations for drones

Reaction score
I was in a hobby shop today browsing and the clerk/sales person there raised some alarming questions. I inturn checked the legal regulations for flying a drone ( in Canada for me). Regulations are similar to those in the US. Most seem reasonable, no fly airport zones, max height etc, etc. The one regulation that surprised me was no flying within 150 meters of buildings, people and vehicles! That in essence would mean no flying around my home ( I live in the suburbs). How many people strictly follows these regulations? Being fairly new to this "very addictive " past time, should I be worried about the "drone police"?
Goes without saying that I am a mature and reasonable individual.

Here in the US, we are not supposed to fly over people, but no restrictions about flying over buildings or vehicles. Several Canadian members here who, I'm sure can give you insight into the do's and don't's of flying up north.

Last edited:
Hi, whilst I'm in australia, with yet differing laws, (we can't fly within 30 meters of people) but my advice is not to fly around ones own suburban home if at all avoidable, just because if it turns sour with neighbours (for whatever reason) there is no way back from that, ie I'd just not risk it. Accidentally annoy someone at local park & you can pack up go home and put it down to 'bad hair day', at home, when thy know where you live & it's a different scenario possibly..
My thoughts anyhow..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi, whilst I'm in australia, with yet differing laws, (we can't fly within 30 meters of people) but my advice is not to fly around ones own suburban home if at all avoidable, just because if it turns sour with neighbours (for whatever reason) there is no way back from that, ie I'd just not risk it. Accidentally annoy someone at local park & you can pack up go home and put it down to 'bad hair day', at home, when thy know where you live & it's a different scenario possibly..
My thoughts anyhow..

Yes, I would agree. I was just getting a little impatient with the weather here and wanted to "get my feet wet" by doing some quick trial flights. Already had a neighbour jokingly say he would shoot it down if seen over his backyard!
Parks and vacation locations it is!

Reactions: Loz
There you go - and only he would really know if he was really serious, generally speaking. Safe flying and enjoy

My thoughts anyhow..
Good advice.

I do fly from my house but I have some fields I can fly to although what I thought was a huge place to fly is getting smaller and smaller as I get more comfortable. In the interest of keeping people happy I've been avoiding flying from home at the weekends. I work from home so can easily fly during the week which may lessen the chance of someone getting upset. I've also recently discovered that I really like flying at night at lot, wonder how long before a UFO sighting is reported in the local paper ;)

Husband and I have had a few people comment "not to fly around them" or threaten with the shoot it down. Just seems to be the first thing they can think of to say about a drone. Then as they watch you and start to ask questions they seem to calm down about it, but I don't get people's immediate negative reaction to seeing a drone.

Reactions: Falcon900
Thought I heard it is illegal to shoot down a drone?

Here in the US, we are not supposed to fly over people, but no restrictions about flying over buildings or vehicles. Several Canadian members here who, I'm sure can give you insight into the do's and don't's of flying up north.

Minor correction: Flying over moving vehicles is a no-no as well. That is considered to be the equivalent of flying over people.

I was in a hobby shop today browsing and the clerk/sales person there raised some alarming questions. I inturn checked the legal regulations for flying a drone ( in Canada for me). Regulations are similar to those in the US. Most seem reasonable, no fly airport zones, max height etc, etc. The one regulation that surprised me was no flying within 150 meters of buildings, people and vehicles! That in essence would mean no flying around my home ( I live in the suburbs). How many people strictly follows these regulations? Being fairly new to this "very addictive " past time, should I be worried about the "drone police"?
Goes without saying that I am a mature and reasonable individual.

I'm also in Canada... did this individual mention where he got his information? I've read everything I can find with a "reasonable" search on Transport Canada's web site and have seen nothing like that.

Where abouts in Canada? Was this a national chain store? Very curious, and from the perspective of not wanting to miss important info, I'd just like to see if I can verify it or how I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm also in Canada... did this individual mention where he got his information? I've read everything I can find with a "reasonable" search on Transport Canada's web site and have seen nothing like that.

Where abouts in Canada? Was this a national chain store? Very curious, and from the perspective of not wanting to miss important info, I'd just like to see if I can verify it or how I missed it.

Don't:
  • Don't fly in clouds or fog.
  • Don't fly closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e., any airport, heliport, helipad, or seaplane base).
  • Don't fly higher than 90 m (300 feet) above the ground.
  • Don't fly closer than 150 m (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.
  • Don't fly in populated areas or near large groups of people, including at sporting events, concerts, festivals, or firework shows.
  • Don't fly near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.
  • Don't fly within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, or forest fires.
  • Don't fly anywhere you may interfere with first responders.
Taken directly from the Transport Canada website. Look at item 4.

Sorry, my fault. I was thinking in terms of "law" rather than guidelines.

While changes are coming, these aren't "law" yet. To date, they are still just "recommendations".

ee2d2bdd3f0080dce740ddc6c1070701.jpg

Sorry, they are recommendations, but they also talk about fines and even jail time if convicted! How can they do that I'd they are only recommendations?

That's always the debate... trying to determine the difference between the two.

That's why I was so concerned... if and when some of the "recommendations" actually do become law, I won't do well in prison...

But I would like to at least know when that day comes.

There are links to the actual laws but did you see them? Like reading the criminal code.

Minor correction: Flying over moving vehicles is a no-no as well. That is considered to be the equivalent of flying over people.
I don't think that's true. You can't fly a drone from a moving vehicle, but I don't think there's anything that says you can't fly over moving vehicles.

Sorry, they are recommendations, but they also talk about fines and even jail time if convicted! How can they do that I'd they are only recommendations?
But there is a mandate about reckless flying. Going against any of their recommendations could be considered 'reckless' especially if someone complains.

But there is a mandate about reckless flying. Going against any of their recommendations could be considered 'reckless' especially if someone complains.

Absolutely, I don't disagree... with the operative phrase being "could be". Not one of these directives, guidelines, or even threads is purely black and white.

A couple of weeks ago I went to an empty parking lot, flew over a school closed for the weekend, two snow covered baseball diamonds, through a pair of football uprights on a field closed for the season, a water park, and an unused outdoor rink. I may have even crossed a road to get there. I think my RTH went to about 305' with the conversion from metres (300' max in Canada).

Did I breaks any "laws"? No. Did I upset anyone? Couldn't have, there was no one in sight. Would I take the exact same flight during a little league baseball tournament while football tryouts were in session, on a 90 degree day with a splash pad full on moms and toddlers? Not on your life.

But, I did technically break half a dozen "guidelines".

What I am most concerned about is the "LAW", because the law is the law. That's what sends you to jail. My own common sense will keep me well within "guidelines", I'm not concerned about that at all... I just want to make sure I know what the "law" is.

Reactions: Acb1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom