Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Landing Platform

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhantomFanatic, Dec 27, 2014.

1. PhantomFanatic

I've found some good flying areas but there would either be high weeds, swampy conditions, etc. I thought about just using cardboard, but that could get water logged.

I finally found what might do the job, on eBay. It is really for large RC helicopters, but I thought it would work. It is made of heavyweight vinyl, with the typical H on it. I may attach it to or just lay it on a firm surface.

So, it got me wondering what you all (yall!) use for a landing/departure pad.

2. Happyflyer

That sounds like a slick pad. Mostly the ground. A time or two in beach sand took a cardboard box with me. Hand catch to land.

3. HailStorm

I use one I purchased similar to this: http://www.uavstickers.com/helipad.php

I'm at work or I'd send you the link to the company I purchased mine from. The one I have is round, has five 6 inch legs that can be removed allowing it to lay flat on the ground/lawn, or with the legs, slightly elevated. I can also mount it on a tripod and launch/land from there. I'll try to remember to post a link when I get home this evening.

4. paulajayne

Take off from my case and hand catch.

Hand catch is simple once you learn best technique.

Ensure that catch area is clear - people and obstruction.

Bring quad in to about 10 feet from you flying at about 7ft high. (that way props are above head height).

Do not touch controls and allow quad to settle. Circa 3 seconds

Reach up and take a firm hold of a landing leg and once you have a firm hold pull the throttle down and hold until engine stop.

5. PhantomFanatic

I like that better than what I bought. Please do add the link, when you get home.

6. HailStorm

7. PsychopathRC

When I bought my Syma X5C, I had trouble carrying it around. So I made this. If it's not windy, I can land my Phantom on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paint makes it waterproof. But then I glossed it with PVA. So if it gets wet, the PVA washes off a bit. Not that it gets wet very much.

8. TimmyG94

I've been using these for the past 3 months as takeoff platforms:

[​IMG]

I like them because they are FREE and I can always find one at a local post office instead of having to remember carrying a special takeoff board around in my car. Sometimes I even leave them out in the corn fields because they will biodegrade, but I usually just dump them in the trash when I'm done flying for the day.

As for landing, I always hand catch. Doesnt everyone?

9. knuckles

Lol I thought I was the only one. I've used that since I got my phantom for take offs. I only hand catch

10. rexster314

11. Gotcher6

Made from waterproof fiberboard. Mirrors let you see light patterns without picking it up.

Attached Files:

12. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's my HeliPad...

[​IMG]

With the RotorPixel gimbal and the new style TX, there's a problem with the camera pointing straight down when arming the bird... so... I built a small platform to give the camera clearance...

[​IMG]

Then I added it to the HeliPad... (as some smartass on this forum suggested.. You know who you are!) :D

[​IMG]

13. Happyflyer

Slick, Slinger, Slick!

14. Larry L

Same here, I like the case due to the fact it's not close to the ground & possibly get interference from anything metal buried just Benith the surface.