LAANC Fact Check

Reaction score
Integrity. It’s central to everything we do at Kittyhawk. Whether it’s our professional standards, our data, or our marketing, we infuse everything we do with integrity. It’s in our DNA, and it’s a core value that’s going to help drive the drone industry forward. That’s why it’s so disappointing when a publicly traded company that is privileged to be in the LAANC (Low Altitude Airspace Notification Capability) pilot program doesn’t share those values and would rather spin half-truths at the detriment to the program and the greater drone ecosystem.​

Read more:
LAANC Fact Check: Can You Hear Me Now? - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

It's disappointing to see large players like Verizon's Skyward taking advantage of their FAA working group to market themselves in a way that can be confusing for the general public.

How does 4 airports translate into a full fledged offering? I fail to make the jump.

Integrity. It’s central to everything we do at Kittyhawk. Whether it’s our professional standards, our data, or our marketing, we infuse everything we do with integrity. It’s in our DNA, and it’s a core value that’s going to help drive the drone industry forward. That’s why it’s so disappointing when a publicly traded company that is privileged to be in the LAANC (Low Altitude Airspace Notification Capability) pilot program doesn’t share those values and would rather spin half-truths at the detriment to the program and the greater drone ecosystem.​

Read more:
LAANC Fact Check: Can You Hear Me Now? - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

It's disappointing to see large players like Verizon's Skyward taking advantage of their FAA working group to market themselves in a way that can be confusing for the general public.

How does 4 airports translate into a full fledged offering? I fail to make the jump.

Hi Joshua -

I wanted to correct the incorrect information in your post. There are four airports at which commercial operators can access new volumes of controlled airspace: Cincinnati (CVG), San Jose (SJC), Reno (RNO), and Lincoln, NE (LNK). Our customers at Skyward are already taking advantage of this program. As we said in our press release, these four airports would be the first active in the beta, with an additional 45 airports coming in the next couple weeks. The FAA has listed those participating airports here. Both our free (www.skyward.io/signup) and paid subscribers have access to those first four airports, and we’ll continue to work with the FAA to roll out the airports as they come online.

Skyward was the first to be approved and the first to have our customers access controlled airspace through LAANC — I would imagine if others were in the same position they’d be proud to say that. It took tremendous work from our talented engineers and we’re proud that they received fast technical approval from the FAA. We won’t shy away from that sentiment. Our team works tirelessly to make commercial drone operations safe and efficient for everyone, and we’re proud of that effort.

Second, there are other approved LAANC vendors. All of these providers responded to the FAA’s *public* request for information last fall and were asked to help define and develop the program with the FAA. It’s been as successful a collaboration with the industry as anyone could have hoped for, and we are excited about the continued engagement the FAA has with the industry leaders.

Third, we maintain our commitment to engage with industry leaders to enable these common standards, and this is exactly what LAANC does. Much like our work at the Global UTM Association, the Drone Advisory Committee, the FAA Remote ID ARC, and ICAO, Skyward responded to the public LAANC request for information to continue to participate in public and private partnerships that enable the industry to open up airspace.

Hi Erin,

Again, it sounds as though that Verizon and Skyward are looking to skew a narrative for their own agenda. You've offered to "correct" things and fail to mention what was wrong.

In fact, this post isn't even original. It's part of the same tired damage control that Skyward has been trying to use all week. A simple Google search shows that your response looking to "correct" things is little more than repurposed corporate double-talk. Just google any sentence from "your" post like I do here

It's so disappointing to see a large, publicly funded company taking advantage of their relationship with a resource-constrained FAA and then try to play damage control when someone publicly brings up the malfeasance.

Commercial drone operators deserve to know the truth as it is, not as Verizon wishes it were.

Can you hear me now?
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Fz.......0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.0.0....0.Mg3oP-aTs7Q

If anyone is looking for Free LAANC airspace authorizations, I highly suggest using the free AIRMAP application to get them. They've demonstrated their ability to market honestly, and have a first-rate team of engineers working on this integration. Robust integration and reliability are central to their approach to LAANC airspace authorizations.

It's easy to use as well: Home - AirMap

Reactions: TerKelDing
Hi Joshua -
We did offer to clarify or correct any statements you feel are false- but so far I haven't heard from you. I'll post my contact here again in case you weren't sure how to get a hold of me (as you know I'm a marketing manager at Skyward). We're proud to be a part of the initial working group and our work with each of the 11 other companies to test this functionality. If your company submitted a proposal to the FAA's publicly available RFI on LAANC and you have questions as to why your company wasn't selected, I'd recommend contacting the FAA directly.

We have a team with tremendous aviation, regulatory, and computer science experience at Skyward and it's rewarding to go to work on a project like this - one that's sure to be a game changer for commercial drone pilots in the US. We're especially thrilled with the initial feedback we've received on our LAANC announcement from customers and prospects - those operating in the first four airport areas are already taking advantage of the functionality!

Best,

Jess Moody
[email protected]

Hi Jess,

Your team seems to think some statements I've made are false. Isn't that why you jumped in to "correct" me? I find it comical how badly Skyward/Verizon wants to take every conversation offline and out of the public lime light. There is simply too much too to hide.

All I see here is a lot of text without a lot of meaning -- pretty standard for a big corporation like Verizon.

Kittyhawk continues to be transparent and up front. That's why industry leaders choose Kittyhawk.

Thanks,

Josh Ziering
[email protected]
973-715-4298

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for Free LAANC airspace authorizations, I highly suggest using the free AIRMAP application to get them. They've demonstrated their ability to market honestly, and have a first-rate team of engineers working on this integration. Robust integration and reliability are central to their approach to LAANC airspace authorizations.

It's easy to use as well: Home - AirMap
Tried doing a sample authorization today using Airmap. It appears I have authorization (clock starts, etc), but nowhere do I see and FAA confirmation in the process - either by text or in the app itself (as seen in the sample images here: Airspace Authorization. Am I clear to fly or do I need to see the FAA confirmation first? The "warm & fuzzy" factor is too low for my liking....

LAANC is active in my area, got 3 authorizations through Airmap, figured out how to cancel one. It worked great! Received authorization within a minute of submitting via text. Flew just inside Class D airspace, no issues.

I would recommend documenting these flight and recording the authorization number. I guess you could also download the text message and save it as well.

Reactions: Kentrol72

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94