KDE or T-MOTOR?

Reaction score
Hey all, contemplating a motor replacement on my 3 Advanced and am curious about y'all's opinions/experience. Primarily looking for increased flying time. Thx in advance!

Hey all, contemplating a motor replacement on my 3 Advanced and am curious about y'all's opinions/experience. Primarily looking for increased flying time. Thx in advance!

Not to be a wet blanket... but there is no gain by swapping motors.

The propulsion system (prop, motor, ESC and ESC firmware) are optimized for the platform and merely changing one component will de-tune and reduce efficiency.

Reactions: lowoctane
Not to be a wet blanket... but there is no gain by swapping motors.

The propulsion system (prop, motor, ESC and ESC firmware) are optimized for the platform and merely changing one component will de-tune and reduce efficiency.
Wet blankets are ok, as long as they make sense! So even if I were to change the motors and ESC, the firmware would be a hindrance? Certainly don't want that expensive mistake!

Wet blankets are ok, as long as they make sense! So even if I were to change the motors and ESC, the firmware would be a hindrance? Certainly don't want that expensive mistake!

Correct.

The ESCs are part of the main PCB so there is no opportunity to swap those at all.

Many who come to DJI drones from other r/c hobbies, such as cars/trucks, are accustomed to aftermarket or hop-up parts. Those do not really exist for Phantoms. They are dedicated flying camera platforms which don't offer any real performance upgrade paths. In addition they are a fly-by-wire device where the MC does all the flight supervision which further negates modifications.

The only area you can really alter is the controller's antennas and that can vary depending on which model you have. I don't have a P3 so I can't be specific to your opportunities but if you poke around in that forum you'll find some info.

Reactions: lowoctane
Correct.

The ESCs are part of the main PCB so there is no opportunity to swap those at all.

Many who come to DJI drones from other r/c hobbies, such as cars/trucks, are accustomed to aftermarket or hop-up parts. Those do not really exist for Phantoms. They are dedicated flying camera platforms which don't offer any real performance upgrade paths. In addition they are a fly-by-wire device where the MC does all the flight supervision which further negates modifications.

The only area you can really alter is the controller's antennas and that can vary depending on which model you have. I don't have a P3 so I can't be specific to your opportunities but if you poke around in that forum you'll find some info.
Ok, thx! Well I have tried their carbon blades and really can't justify the extra expense over the plastic blades. Aside from balancing the props the only other enhancements I'm going to do is balance the blades one to another and rubber mount the motors. Just purchased a few filters so I need to see how they perform too. Then we're on to setting way points for the hunting property so a plan can be mapped out for deer blinds.

Don’t know off-hand what rubber motor mounts are but at the risk of a misunderstanding it doesn’t sound beneficial.
The motor speeds are constantly being adjusted (in a closed-loop control system) to interpret the flight commands and maintain stability. At first blush this would seem to dampen response and cause instability.

Don’t know off-hand what rubber motor mounts are but at the risk of a misunderstanding it doesn’t sound beneficial.
The motor speeds are constantly being adjusted (in a closed-loop control system) to interpret the flight commands and maintain stability. At first blush this would seem to dampen response and cause instability.
I've followed quite a few threads that seem to indicate the frequency deterrent of the isolation does help somewhat in that area. The jury is still out on that point tho...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymoo