Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

K-index seems to be crucial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CallMeAlan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. CallMeAlan

P2V.

Recent experiences lead me to believe that that silly old K-index is really quite important.

First experience: it just refused to calibrate, after telling me it needed it. Just wouldn't. I went home.
    Later discovered that K was over 6 that day, possibly even 8.

Second experience: I now had a K-index app on my phone. It read 4 for the day. I needed to calibrate twice before it was happy, and the LEDs remained solid green, no slow flashing. 7 satellites. It flew, but I felt it was not really awfully happy about it, drifting a bit, slowly yawing without being told to.

Third, last Saturday. K-index was 2. 10 satellites. No calibration required, LEDs flashing slow green almost immediately, and it flew like a dream, as though it was on rails.

So, it seems to me we might need to make ourselves quite K-aware. Am I correct in my suppositions?

2. Mal_PV2_Ireland

I really haven't noticed any strange behaviour with mine and I always throw an eye to the k index. I've had a few flights while it was showing 6 and I didnt find anything strange.

3. IrishSights

I dont think K index affects the compass only the ability to lock satellites.

4. HarryT

No, you're not correct.

K-Index has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with compass calibration. A high K-index will not affect either the necessity or the ability to calibrate the compass.

The effect of a high K-index is to increase the "uncertainty" of GPS positioning. The worst that can happen with a high K-index is that your Phantom's ability to hover in place might be degraded from wandering about within a 2m-radius circle to a 5m or even in extreme cases a 10m circle. But it won't affect the ability to get a GPS lock in the first place.

5. N017RW

Never paid attention, never had a problem.
    YMMV

6. Happyflyer

Is there a record of these values online? I ask because on August 2nd I had a flight that the P2V acted up just as you stated. It wandered all over and was not in atti. Have not had that happen since.

7. dmagnus

45.141598 -92.631683 Somewhere on the Apple River
    FWIW: from NOAA