Job

Reaction score
I'm a certified part 107 drone pilot looking to start making money with my drone. I have a phantom 4 and Im wondering where I can find people looking to hire pilots to take shoots of there real estate to sell ?

Snyper, do you have copies of:

Airmap
Verifly
UAV Forecast
TPE (the Photographer's Ephemeris)
?

And you're flying? Inspire 1/2?
P4/P4P?
Heavy lifters?

Plus, what kind of ground transport do you have? You'll need to define your local travel radius (beyond which you'll charge gas mileage and time) plus set a price for which drone you'll be flying, and if you can or can not / will or will not edit.

Got Paypal account, I hope.

Then the thing to do is to get your website or IG set up and start looking around, maybe Craigslist to start with, and get out there and shoot the heck out of anything that moves!

Keep a spreadsheet of all the jobs you fly and make sure you fly legally. It's very tempting to say well, this is indeed class D airspace and yes I should get an airspace authorization either online or at my local FSDO (which you should visit and pay respects to in any event), but it's just a shot or two...

That's what's going to get us in trouble, because the FAA/NTSB is now or will soon be working with DJI for their flight logs and if there is an incident, they'll be on to us like a flash, more than the casual rec flyer because we're meant to know better.

They're also waiting until the clips come out, and DJI now has the location tracking deal from the video image itself so that if it's obviously restricted airspace, they can tell from the footage and will come after us maybe months after the fact, when they're good and ready.

So it's not really worth it, not for us 107ers.

Get a Strobetron from the UK. That's around $16 for the stand-alone rechargeable version that's about the size of a thumbnail but gives out the FAA legal nav strobe signal that's 3NM and lets you fly that extra 15 minutes into sunset or before sunrise that's the golden hour of light, when most of us pros are flying anyway.

Then in the meantime join a couple nation-wide drone companies, usually pick a West Coast or North-West based one as well, so there's less competition if/when they get an East coast assignment. Which they will.

Also bear in mind that real estate agents have to pay for the photography and aerials out of their own pockets - the agency doesn't pick any of that cost up. So they'll try and nickel-and-dime you for all they're worth. But stick with it, find someone you like, who likes you, and work to eventually becoming their go-to guy. But expect to shoot a lot of stills as well as interior work as well - the drone work is only about 25-30% of the shoot - and the fee.

I'll get more specific when you ask more specific questions.
Best
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: mindstorm
Not saying I have evidence that DJI has actually given flight log info to the NTSB thus far, and if there were ongoing investigations with that happening, I doubt that they would disclose that outside the courtrooms,, but if they're operating in the US commercially, which they are, then they are subject to the usual evidence and discovery laws of the US, which includes electronic data and records, such as bank account information, etc.
i.e. if a court asked officially, then DJI USA couldn't legally say no.

The people you are looking for are real estate agents. Present them with a portfolio and rates/services offered. You will need commercial insurance.

I'm a certified part 107 drone pilot looking to start making money with my drone. I have a phantom 4 and Im wondering where I can find people looking to hire pilots to take shoots of there real estate to sell ?

Basically, real estate agents and roofers (etc) need to know you exist, so get a website and/or facebook presence, build a sample portfolio, and knock on some doors. Put a few samples on a computer tablet ready to show. Also, @ChrisRL above has a TON of great advice. Added to that, do a little "benchmarking" - there are some good real estate photographers and videographers with drones in your immediate area; cruise through their websites to see what (apparently) works.

Best of luck...and do make some of your own (luck, that is).

Reactions: ChrisRL
The easiest way is to meet a real estate agent and ask if you can take photos of one of their properties and do it for free so there's no pressure. It will give you a good start and hopefully they like your work and will pay you for the next one. I reached out to to the agent that showed me several properties 3 years ago and she was very open to the idea, printed me a listing and called the owners same day. They even have a phantom and do a few themselves but most agents would rather be selling houses than flying drones so that's where you come in. That's my experience and what worked for me hope it helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan