It's very frustrating following the rules

That's why I feel there is a definite need for a Drone/Quad/UAV based CBO of our own. It could be similar to the R/C guys AMA with rules and guidelines to fit our unique hobby.

Could you imagine the influence a Drone CBO could have on the FAA and how they perceive the hobby, if the 750,000 registered drone pilots as mentioned above were members.........agreeing to the guidelines and being insured as AMA members are?

Someone needs to take the first step to make it happen......whether the drone industry, or drone pilot Forums like PhantomPilots. R/C clubs started like this, and now have representation by the AMA. We could do the same. It would be a step in the right direction.

Fly Safe. [emoji106]

You're under estimating the cost of flying r/c legacy aircraft or at least failing to consider kit, build materials, radio, engine, support equip, fuel, repair materials, etc. Not every drone registered is a $700-$1200 rtf multirotor.

I've only one thing to add to that, it's a but.

Out of those flyers already, many are R/C modelers now affected by the reclassification of R/C to UAS. Those flyers fly as if they're skin is in the game, certainly until the advent of Quads/Drones that were easy enough to fly, modelers had cheap, and expensive flying stuff.

I just want to say that those flying R/C shouldn't be grouped into the bad 10% of the overall population of flyers out there now. 99% of that group follow AMA and local club field guidelines to take advantage of AMA liability insurance. Those rules are not far from those imposed on the UAS community now.
Oh, I agree. R/C has been very organized group with a lot of camaraderie for many years. This is going to be very interesting how this all shakes out, in the coming year or two.

Oh, I agree. R/C has been very organized group with a lot of camaraderie for many years. This is going to be very interesting how this all shakes out, in the coming year or two.
Like most things when the dust settles, how well we organize ourselves, the numbers that do and hopefully the resultant Political Clout will determine what the rules will be. I'm wondering aloud here on the second bit. I'm sure I'll get differing answers, but do I rejoin the AMA (still have my AMA # from the 80's), AOPA (with their new uUAS membership) or both?

Like most things when the dust settles, how well we organize ourselves, the numbers that do and hopefully the resultant Political Clout will determine what the rules will be. I'm wondering aloud here on the second bit. I'm sure I'll get differing answers, but do I rejoin the AMA (still have my AMA # from the 80's), AOPA (with their new uUAS membership) or both?
I have to say the AOPA has some serious clout and has dealt with the FAA on the big stage for many years. Huge money and following behind them. I think it would be a real good idea if we all joined the new AOPA sUAS division. We'll get the most bang for our buck with them.

Reactions: j1nnn
I have to say the AOPA has some serious clout and has dealt with the FAA on the big stage for many years. Huge money and following behind them. I think it would be a real good idea if we all joined the new AOPA sUAS division. We'll get the most bang for our buck with them.

I am an AOPA member and fly with a PPL, Instrument and Glider rating. I support what the AOPA has done and feel they will support UAV sport and commercial. Did you think what the membership and financials have increased with AOPA after taking on UAV membership? A cash cow.

I saw this video a few months ago. I think I am getting a paramotor next year. They look awesome.
I put 85 hours on one. Scared myself 85 times. Attacked by a Bald Eagle, canopy collapse in turbulence, unintended & unwanted climb to 12,000 MSL, and more that I don't care to remember. No ailerons, no elevator, no rudder, hence you are not the Pilot in Command; you're just along for the ride.
No doubt though; flying with a bed-sheet for a wing will always guarantee a thrilling flight.

I put 85 hours on one. Scared myself 85 times. Attacked by a Bald Eagle, canopy collapse in turbulence, unintended & unwanted climb to 12,000 MSL, and more that I don't care to remember. No ailerons, no elevator, no rudder, hence you are not the Pilot in Command; you're just along for the ride.
No doubt though; flying with a bed-sheet for a wing will always guarantee a thrilling flight.
You just talked me out of it. Thanks.

You just talked me out of it. Thanks.
Buy a ridged wing ultralight with three axis controls. Like a little baby real airplane. Just don't mess around with winds. Stay ground bound if it's more then 7 miles per hour @ the surface.

I saw this video a few months ago. I think I am getting a paramotor next year. They look awesome.
Haha. I too was seriously considering getting into it. Looked like fun and I watched some training videos. Didn't look too hard.
But then, I looked at some of the paramotor fail videos on YouTube. That did it for me. Especially the one where the guy flips over the sail, and then lands in the middle of it and plummets to the ground. Another one had a guy going into power lines. Then there were several of guys smashing and bouncing into the ground. Maybe when I was younger and invincible.

Recent Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94