Itelite DBS mods P3P troubleshoot

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got the Itelite DBS mods upgrade for my P3P.

I installed last night and it seemed to go ok.

I went out for a flight today and have the exact same range as I had with stock antennas.

wjhqrRr

wFdRVkl

It's quite bizzare, I'm wondering what are some possible issues for this?
I'm thinking it can't be the location / as regardless of the location the itelite should be far better.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 2017-08-25 15_03_59-Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones.jpg
    2017-08-25 15_03_59-Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 511
  • 2017-08-25 15_04_38-Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones.jpg
    2017-08-25 15_04_38-Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 503
Most of the time when that happens it IS location. I have flew stock and DBS in the same location with the same results. But take it to a different location and range far out last the batteries. Full signal the whole way. Stock antennas are Omni directional and the DBS is directional. Directional will always out perform Omni antennas, but to get the best results from your DBS, make sure to point the antenna towards the AC. Very important.

Most of the time when that happens it IS location. I have flew stock and DBS in the same location with the same results. But take it to a different location and range far out last the batteries. Full signal the whole way. Stock antennas are Omni directional and the DBS is directional. Directional will always out perform Omni antennas, but to get the best results from your DBS, make sure to point the antenna towards the AC. Very important.
Ehh, I hope not, considering a fly mainly the 1 spot.
Thats super dissapointing, I wouldn't have bothered to get an extender if I knew that was the case.

Thanks for the info though.

Don't give up.. DBS is a Great antenna. Check all connections closely. Did you get the sunhan amps with it?

Don't give up.. DBS is a Great antenna. Check all connections closely. Did you get the sunhan amps with it?
I can't now as my old antenna is cut anyway! haha

Not sure, just the antenna kit from dbs mods (Panel, and the 4 wires). Is sunhan amps additional?

I feel like if it was a connection issue it wouldn't even get the current range? I should have another look! (Is it possible only 1 is connected properly? & it still gets range?)

I can't now as my old antenna is cut anyway! haha

Not sure, just the antenna kit from dbs mods (Panel, and the 4 wires). Is sunhan amps additional?

I feel like if it was a connection issue it wouldn't even get the current range? I should have another look! (Is it possible only 1 is connected properly? & it still gets range?)

Very possible. That is exactly what happened to me. I thought both connections to the RC circuit board were secure. My first test flight range was nearly the same as stock. Upon further examination, only one of the connections was properly seated. I've since modified two more RCs and now I use a magnifying light and precision tweezers to position the connector and then a plastic spudger to push the connector down. It will click into position when it's correctly positioned. A dab of hot glue and you're good to go.

Good luck. The magnifying light really helped my 61 year old eyes!

Reactions: JohnnyB
Very possible. That is exactly what happened to me. I thought both connections to the RC circuit board were secure. My first test flight range was nearly the same as stock. Upon further examination, only one of the connections was properly seated. I've since modified two more RCs and now I use a magnifying light and precision tweezers to position the connector and then a plastic spudger to push the connector down. It will click into position when it's correctly positioned. A dab of hot glue and you're good to go.

Good luck. The magnifying light really helped my 61 year old eyes!

Ok gents,

I think I may have figured something out, and maybe it's a connection issue. (Yet to open, as It took me a while last time - so avoiding opening / until I can rule out environment.)

I have noticed that, my receiver signal drops out / yet my HD always has full bars. Is this a sign of a connection issue?

Many thanks,
Mike

Reactions: livefreeanddrone
Check those wires. One has a hole in the other a pin. Just because they screw on don't mean they are right.
1503729232195.png

Reactions: JohnnyB
This can also happen... Not long ago I noticed my RP-SMA connector turning. I could take a little set of pliers and tighten the nut on the outside but I noticed my range was suffering so I opened it up and this is what I found. After that fix and tweaking the rest of the signal chain, it's the best it's ever been now.
broken cable.jpg

If you will, open your airdata log file back up, click on the green share icon, scroll to the bottom where it says "create unique share link", click on that and it will give you a link. Copy that link and paste back here.

Check those wires. One has a hole in the other a pin. Just because they screw on don't mean they are right.View attachment 87340
Connections were all good so I can rule that out.
This can also happen... Not long ago I noticed my RP-SMA connector turning. I could take a little set of pliers and tighten the nut on the outside but I noticed my range was suffering so I opened it up and this is what I found. After that fix and tweaking the rest of the signal chain, it's the best it's ever been now. View attachment 87400
I see, I'll give it an open up tomorrow and take some photos / see if there is anything that stands out.

Links:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Appreciate all the help!

my receiver signal drops out / yet my HD always has full bars

To clear this up, receive is RX (Video signal from drone to controller). Transmit is TX. (controller to drone) You should always lose your video first "before" you lose control. (in most cases) If you're losing control first, then there's definitely a connection issue IMO. You can lose video and still have control to raise elevation to get video back. If you lose control first, then it's a total disconnect from both.

The antenna you got is a 9dBi directional. Stock is a 6dBi. You went up 3dB and for every 3dB you increase, you double your power. It IS better than stock.

I see your an Aussie.. love that place. Your homepoint was on the roof of that building, is this correct? And at the altitude you were flying, you should've cleared the tops of the trees, but on google earth I can't tell how tall those trees are. When you flew to the left side of that field you lost signal faster, and the trees were thicker there and you were at a lower altitude, it's possible that the trees got you.

Your panel antenna, being a directional, should help with all the interference that is surrounding you. To help troubleshoot, go to the outside of Albanvale in one of those big open fields away from the towns wifi interference, and give it a go "after" you rule out connections. Even without amps, your range should outlast battery in an open area. Can't guarantee the same at the location you were flying.

Cheers...

I have a modded P4 with amps that do have the automatic gain control and the signal chain is tweaked to the max. All cables are in perfect working order and the range far outlast battery. The other day I flew beside someone with a stock set up.. we both lost video in the same spot at 7000' because of a tree line. Tree's WILL take you out no matter how good your system is.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcgrath111
To clear this up, receive is RX (Video signal from drone to controller). Transmit is TX. (controller to drone) You should always lose your video first "before" you lose control. (in most cases) If you're losing control first, then there's definitely a connection issue IMO. You can lose video and still have control to raise elevation to get video back. If you lose control first, then it's a total disconnect from both.

The antenna you got is a 9dBi directional. Stock is a 6dBi. You went up 3dB and for every 3dB you increase, you double your power. It IS better than stock.

I see your an Aussie.. love that place. Your homepoint was on the roof of that building, is this correct? And at the altitude you were flying, you should've cleared the tops of the trees, but on google earth I can't tell how tall those trees are. When you flew to the left side of that field you lost signal faster, and the trees were thicker there and you were at a lower altitude, it's possible that the trees got you.

Your panel antenna, being a directional, should help with all the interference that is surrounding you. To help troubleshoot, go to the outside of Albanvale in one of those big open fields away from the towns wifi interference, and give it a go "after" you rule out connections. Even without amps, your range should outlast battery in an open area. Can't guarantee the same at the location you were flying.

Cheers...
Yeah the tree's could have been the issue, they're about 5-10 metres tall. I thought that modded would beat standard in any situation, so that's a surprise.

I went to the open field the other day: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

It seems to be better than stock; I'm guessing the wifi was chewing the signal up about 1km in, so maybe the upgrade has been successful after all & that I just need to go the MAXX for 14dbi? - which would add a few extra metres?!

Cheers!

Yeah the tree's could have been the issue, they're about 5-10 metres tall. I thought that modded would beat standard in any situation, so that's a surprise.

I went to the open field the other day: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

It seems to be better than stock; I'm guessing the wifi was chewing the signal up about 1km in, so maybe the upgrade has been successful after all & that I just need to go the MAXX for 14dbi? - which would add a few extra metres?!

Cheers!
Just cut down the trees...... (laughs)

If your dead set on flying from that location, you'd about have to build an antenna mast to clear the trees.

I would hang amps on before going to Maxx. You probably will need them anyway so get them now with the smaller panel that you have and give it a try. I have Maxx and amps and it is not something you want to hang around your neck for a long period of time. But it does penetrate..
1503952562689.jpg

I would hang amps on before going to Maxx. You probably will need them anyway so get them now with the smaller panel that you have and give it a try. I have Maxx and amps and it is not something you want to hang around your neck for a long period of time. But it does penetrate..View attachment 87476
Yeah, thats a good point.

I cant get my head around where the amps plug into? Are they inbetween the controller and the panel?

Thats a nice set up you have, ever get range issues?

Yeah, thats a good point.

I cant get my head around where the amps plug into? Are they inbetween the controller and the panel?

Thats a nice set up you have, ever get range issues?
Only reason I didn't mention the sunhan amps, though they help a little it's not as much as you would think because an amp that doesn't have automatic gain control, it's output power is totally based on the input it receives. Though is says 3 Watt, it's nowhere near because of the tiny bit of input it receives from the remote.
Here's a pic of an inspire remote with a 3 Watt sunhan attached, which has even more output from the remote than the P3, measuring straight out of the amp....
This is the power that's fed into the antenna...

807a39fe1563aa5f32394bc050a84fd4.jpg

Power that's fed into the antenna, plus your antenna gain = total power ERP. This is 16.28dBm and if I add the 9dBi DBS antenna that gives you 25.28dBm of total power ERP (Effective Radiated Power) This would be the same method DJI uses to get their specs.
25.28dBm converts to .33 Watts.

The difference between that and an amp that does have AGC (automatic gain control) is that one with AGC will take a small amount of input and will automatically adjust the gain to its max clean performance, without distorting the signal. Example.. this is a RF-Linx SAXU 1.5 W amp that does have AGC... Here are the results...

210db3682fc4fe84ebaf829ba24ce096.jpg

28.28dBm plus a 9dBi antenna = 37.28dBm total power.. also called ERP. (Effective Radiated Power) which converts to 5.34 Watts.

Though the sunhans would help, measurements says it's not much. But this is just one person's opinion (a blue collar guy at that) that has both kinds of amps and both kinds of antennas (DBS and Maxx).... Like myself, some has to find out on their own what works best for them. My findings however, these antennas performance didn't change as much as I had hoped by adding the amps.
In a good location, I can fly beyond VLOS almost in any direction with the 9dBi DBS, (without amps) without even pointing the antenna at the AC.
IMO, something (trees, wifi interference from the 100's of houses/business's that surrounds you) is the cause of your problems. But that's just me. (Not being sarcastic)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl