Is there a way to input video to a laptop or tablet?

Hey brother take your laptop to anybody who works on them an they can install an hdmi input for you and then your good to go. Another option is an external monitor, you could mount it to a tripod and then your client and your self could watch it together and of course you still have your phone going at the same time.

AverMedia makes a product that converts HDMI in to USB 3.0 out. Called the ExtremeCap U3, it can capture up to 60 fps 1080p on a fast laptop or tablet. They market it among their gaming products. They make a similarly named product that has UVC in the name. I have not used that one. The ExtremeCap U3 includes software to capture video, including up to raw output. It is powered by the USB port. I use it with a Nikon camera HDMI output. So should work with a Phantom HDMI port. But recommend testing it. An external monitor would be easier to manage in the field. The converter though does offer flexibility, can connect to Windows or Macintosh OS. I don't think it time codes in 29.97 time frame (with dropped frame for NTSC), but in 30 fps. But that might not matter if it is just for monitoring or for computer use.
That's an interesting idea, but that device is powered through USB3.0, which many laptops don't have. That can be up to a .9A @ 5V power requirement to power the ExtremeCapU3 device. Regular USB2 would unlikely work IMO, so it would have to be a newer laptop with the blue USB 3 connector. It appears light enough to velcro the back of the iPad when needed.

FWIW I use Litchi Vue, but do not rely on it commercially. I don’t know that, based I on my experience with it, I would necessarily recommend it as a reliable, high quality solution for your situation.

Main downside is that the video seems to consistently be a tick below the video on my screen in terms of quality, and it can be less smooth, as well. In the same way your local screen can jitter or green when you have week video signal, I find the Litchi Vue device can do the same even if it okay on my local screen.

The other downside is you are restricted to use Litchi. Which, while nice and all, isn’t the best tool for every job. For the P4P, for example, you lose Tripod mode, and Autopilot can also have some good utility I would think in your situation. And obviously any surveying or other mapping apps could be right out.

The plus, it is cheap, and easy, and it does work. When I have used it, something is better than nothing! And also way better than someone trying to crowd over my screen while I am focused on flying. It’s a nice tool to have in the tool box.

If you have a cellular enabled tablet, which I would think would be a likely scenario if you’re using this commercially, then you shouldn’t need an external router. I fly with an iPad Air 2017 cellular, which I set up as a hotspot, then connect to that hotspot over WiFi with either my iPhone for cheap FPV or iPad Air gen 1. That actually has worked more reliably for me than external WiFi with the caveat of at least on iOS you can’t enable the hotspot without having cell service, so that failed when I was in the mountains. (Believe it or not, I actually used my GoPro as a hotspot in that case, surprisingly it worked great!)

I am trying to make use of an extra tablet or laptop I have laying around. I may end up going the monitor route but $350 is a little more than I like to spend - especially since the one you suggested is only 400 nit. I also can't figure out what resolution monitor is compatible with my shield.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor