Is there a compass inside the GL300E RC?

Reaction score
Hi, while fiddling with the settings on the GL300E RC (for P4A+), I noticed that in "system settings" there is an option called "calibrate compass", with an animation showing how to turn the RC around its center. This has nothing to do with calibrating the compass in the aircraft itself, and it was turned off.
I have also seen some people getting a message on the GL300E saying it needs to be turned in a figure 8 to calibrate it. I know that compass apps for smartphones should be calibrated in the "figure 8" way.
This indicates that there is an electronic compass inside the GL300E (or maybe more precicely inside the built-in screen). But why, what is it used for? Will it affect flying, could the common "compass error" messages have something to do with that compass? Anybody have an idea?

This indicates that there is an electronic compass inside the GL300E (or maybe more precicely inside the built-in screen). But why, what is it used for? Will it affect flying, could the common "compass error" messages have something to do with that compass? Anybody have an idea?
Like all (or almost all) Android tablets, the built-in screen has a compass sensor.
That helps show where the Phantom is flying because it allows the tablet to know which way it is facing.
It is completely separate from the Phantom's compasses that are used for flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart