Is the following an invasion of Privacy?

Is this an invasion of privacy ?

• Total voters
You sound like someone who shouldn't be playing with guns.

Sorry, but after 16 yearsin the army, consistently earning marksman, I think I likely know how to handle firearms better than most... now, if your flying a drone in such a way someone can get a shotgun and shoot it down in their yard, I’m sorry, but you are the problem.

Sorry, but after 16 yearsin the army, consistently earning marksman, I think I likely know how to handle firearms better than most... now, if your flying a drone in such a way someone can get a shotgun and shoot it down in their yard, I’m sorry, but you are the problem.
With all due respect, knowing how to use a firearm and knowing when to use a firearm aren’t the same thing.

Thank you for your service.

The complaint was I crossed over the MIDDLE OF HIS GARDEN, + HOVERED THERE FOR A SHORT WHILE. Was it an invasion of his privacy?
When offered a copy, he did NOT want to see the film!

Yes, and in fact this is against the law in countries like Germany, even if you just zoom over it. Hovering over it makes it extremely suspicious and you are 100% in the wrong. I, evenas a drone owner, would be pissed at someone getting that close for no reason.

Being in the Army doesn't mean you know how to handle a gun, because there are plenty of desk jobs where you don't spend any real time with a weapon, and earning marksman can be done by anyone that spends a couple times a year at the shooting range, it does not demonstrate any sort of true expertise. It's the Army-equivalent of participation trophies they hand out for people that play soccer.

Whatever you guys say... I guess over a decade of marksmanship awards and years as a small arms instructor doesn’t mean anything. Bottom line is, you annoy your neighbors enough, no matter how right you are, someone is eventually going to take matters into their own hands and you’ll likely get little sympathy from the courts when they break your toy...

Whatever you guys say... I guess over a decade of marksmanship awards and years as a small arms instructor doesn’t mean anything. Bottom line is, you annoy your neighbors enough, no matter how right you are, someone is eventually going to take matters into their own hands and you’ll likely get little sympathy from the courts when they break your toy...
Somebody have a chippie wippie on their shoulder? ;-)

Not particularly. My use or misuse of firearms isn’t really the issue here. In the OPs case, I didn’t see anything all that concerning in the little video clip. However, he was asked by a neighbor to cut it out. Now, he can be right and keep doing what he’s doing. He won’t likely get into any kind of trouble. However every fly by is going to anger this neighbor more and more until he does something about it. Or the op can be a good neighbor and fly another direction, or go high enough the other guy doesn’t even know he’s there...

Not particularly. My use or misuse of firearms isn’t really the issue here. In the OPs case, I didn’t see anything all that concerning in the little video clip. However, he was asked by a neighbor to cut it out. Now, he can be right and keep doing what he’s doing. He won’t likely get into any kind of trouble. However every fly by is going to anger this neighbor more and more until he does something about it. Or the op can be a good neighbor and fly another direction, or go high enough the other guy doesn’t even know he’s there...
That’s perfectly rational. No argument there.

The average Aircraft flying over your house is up high, unless you are on approach path of airfield and without camera .....

Not really a good comparison ... a drone at xx mtrs high vs an aircraft at xxxxx mtrs high ...

Nigel
I live under the final approach path of a major airport and I never give privacy a second thought - I'm more concerned that one of those planes will fall out of the sky. sort of like the Phantoms do from time to time!
Police helicopters are far more of an intrusion than anything else in the sky.

You can have your home "blurred" from Google Earth is you are so inclined. It's a fairly simple process which only takes a moment to request and a few days to process. Not exactly the same as a potential "Peeping Tom" flying over your home/land.

But fact of the matter is this is a local problem not an FAA problem so you could take it up with the local authorities to determine if any rules/laws have been broken or not. It might be worth while to find out for future reference.

Potential peeping tom. So the default assumption is peeping tom until proven guilty? It was a harmless flight near some houses. I think the main issue here is that flying so close is probably annoying in terms of noise. If you’re doing that a few times per week as he suggests (if I see that again over this village) then the noise is probably just irritating his hearing aid.

Perhaps just fly another 50m higher and you’ll not here it and therefore not see it.

What was the purpose of the flight anyway?

It is a federal offense to shoot an aircraft from the sky. It dosent matter if you do it on purpose or accident.

The laws vary from state to state and county to county. But generally if you’re in the united stated you need permission to fly over anyone’s home , if you’re under 200 ft. And permission to fly over their property. Doesn’t ,matter if its for a second or 10 minutes. But I would go with the advice that its best to pick your battles. I have a similar problem with 2 neighbors out of 10. I just stay away from those 2!!! Problem solved!!
Please cite a example of a law that specifies this.

Reactions: infinite
Many jurisdictions have written laws, ordinances, etc. restricting overflights and other behaviors associated with drone use.
This does not mean they are all valid, enforceable, or will stand up to litigation or court review since airspace restrictions, specifically, are under the purview of the FAA.
Often these restrictions circulate the web and are commonly regurgitated and embellished to where many believe they are in place.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have a personal policy to talk to anyone whose property I fly over in advance of the flight. Almost every time, the property owner said "no problem ... go ahead". Sometimes, to get the perfect position for a photo, I need to fly over or hover over private property. The time it takes to ring a door bell and ask for permission is worth it.

Maybe if I deliberately targeted the drone... but if I’m legally shooting clay pigeons on my property, and you foolishly fly your drone in the way... we’ll, accidents happen...;p or maybe it was scaring my animals... You usually got rights to protect your livestock from threats that take precedent over other laws, like fish and game rules and the likes...

Or maybe I set off those fireworks that fill the sky over my yard with exploding balls of fire... oops... didn’t see the drone there... my point is, if your going to provoke your neighbors to the point they’re fed up with you, right or wrong your going to end up with headaches and an endless cycle of tit for tat antics that will drive you mad.
Not every one has property that they can fly on without flying over someone else's property, much less shoot on. I am within 5 miles of an airport, so I have to travel some to fly without notifying anyone. Discharging weapons within city limits (not at a range) is (almost) always illegal.

The complaint was I crossed over the MIDDLE OF HIS GARDEN, + HOVERED THERE FOR A SHORT WHILE. Was it an invasion of his privacy?
When offered a copy, he did NOT want to see the film!

My opinion would be that you're flying too low over a neighborhood. Drones are noisy at that height and there's no reason to tick people off.. Fly higher in neighborhood setttings so yo don't give the appearance of spying

Reactions: bsartist
It is a federal offense to shoot an aircraft from the sky. It dosent matter if you do it on purpose or accident.

You are completely right with the law as written... You could also get into some pretty serious trouble operating an aircraft while impaired for drinking a beer on your back deck while flying your drone around, but it’s up to the federal authorities to enforce these laws. I don’t think the aviation authorities are all that keen on wasting resources on hobby drone fliers unless they’re doing something to endanger other aircraft or use their drone to commit crimes.

Not that I delved to deeply into it, but from what I’ve seen most who got into trouble over it were for issues with where they discharge their firearm without sufficient reason. No one I’ve noticed got 5-20 for shooting down an aircraft. I’m sure there are many rural cases that don’t even make it onto the radar because authorities show up, say there is no firearm related issue, tell the drone pilot to fly somewhere else and call it a day.

I’ll restate what I have said earlier. You can be right all you want. But if you know what you are doing is aggravating people and continue doing it, you are likely going to end up causing some kind of confrontation that may result in the destruction of your drone. If this happens, your not very likely to receive much help from the legal system. If it happens often enough to enough people, you can expect more restrictions down the road on when, where and how you can fly your drone.

You are completely right with the law as written... You could also get into some pretty serious trouble operating an aircraft while impaired for drinking a beer on your back deck while flying your drone around, but it’s up to the federal authorities to enforce these laws. I don’t think the aviation authorities are all that keen on wasting resources on hobby drone fliers unless they’re doing something to endanger other aircraft or use their drone to commit crimes.

Not that I delved to deeply into it, but from what I’ve seen most who got into trouble over it were for issues with where they discharge their firearm without sufficient reason. No one I’ve noticed got 5-20 for shooting down an aircraft. I’m sure there are many rural cases that don’t even make it onto the radar because authorities show up, say there is no firearm related issue, tell the drone pilot to fly somewhere else and call it a day.

I’ll restate what I have said earlier. You can be right all you want. But if you know what you are doing is aggravating people and continue doing it, you are likely going to end up causing some kind of confrontation that may result in the destruction of your drone. If this happens, your not very likely to receive much help from the legal system. If it happens often enough to enough people, you can expect more restrictions down the road on when, where and how you can fly your drone.
Just curious, which drone(s) do you fly?

Just curious, which drone(s) do you fly?

I recently got myself a Mavic Pro. Though I have several rc planes I have collected built and flown over the years ... a nitro mustang and Corsair, a few electric gliders, some nitro float planes. I had gotten my private pilot license with the intention of building an advanced ultralight kit, but alas, kids came and money got tighter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3