Is line of sight crucial? And RTH elevation question

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've read and seen many nightmare stories about losing radio contact behind trees, as a rule would you say that flying behind trees is dangerous ? Ie would you lose radio signal? Also at what elevation does RTH default at, the same elevation you are flying at? or can you preset this? Can't find any links on this question so I thought id plant this one here.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi guys, I've read and seen many nightmare stories about losing radio contact behind trees, as a rule would you say that flying behind trees is dangerous ? Ie would you lose radio signal? Also at what elevation does RTH default at, the same elevation you are flying at? or can you preset this? Can't find any links on this question so I thought id plant this one here.

I would strongly recommend that you download the Phantom 3 manual from the DJI web site, and read it thoroughly. Most of your questions, including some you haven't thought of yet, will be answered.

To answer the questions above for now, yes, avoid flying behind any obstacle, including trees, until you are very familiar with the Phantom. You will most likely lose signal. Some waypoint apps will complete the current mission even if signal is lost, but you shouldn't be using them until you are really up to speed.

Second question - yes, you can set the RTH altitude in the GO app.

Last edited:
Reactions: peterepeat69
The two most RF (radio Frequency) haters are metal and water. Trees have water inside...

Thanks well let's keep my new p3a in view at all times then

Hi guys, I've read and seen many nightmare stories about losing radio contact behind trees, as a rule would you say that flying behind trees is dangerous ? Ie would you lose radio signal? Also at what elevation does RTH default at, the same elevation you are flying at? or can you preset this?
You can get away with flying behind a leafy branch or two - more than that and you risk losing signal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor