Is it just me ?

Is it just me, or do others find aerial photography & video mind numbingly boring ?

Even more so now that every man and his dog has the means to churn this crap out by the bucket load ?

Oh, with the obligatory cheesy sound track. :( FFS

It was a bit of a novelty back when we had blip cams attached to GWS Slow Sticks, but you seen it once, you've seen it a million times.

Boring.
It's just you. I've been a photographer since I was a kid, and this opened a whole new arena. I will say that after a bunch of "beautiful landscapes," I'm running out of places I want to go and shoot, but I keep looking for unique opportunities as an excuse to get back out/up. I've gone to places, introduced myself and asked if they'd mind my flying over some interesting aspect of what they have or what they're doing, and presto, new subject matter. I've rarely been denied - especially if I offer them prints or videos of their event/property/whatever. I've done races, real estate, fires (WITH permission), car shows, large cat rescues, a farmer with his own personal car graveyard, old historic cemeteries, barn restorations, etc. Plus, I use good music; I don't use that royalty-free music bed swill that you hear on some. Just keep looking for new ideas and you shouldn't be too bored.

Above a certain height everything looks the same, and more so if the terrain is flat for miles and miles. I've been doing nature photography for years and know how much planning and knowledge it takes to get those stunning shots. Not to mention the need for stunning scenery. I'm a newbie at drones but I can imagine that creating stunning aerial videos is even more of a challenge. One thing I've learnt though . . . fly low and slow.
I rarely fly very high. You're right, everything flattens out and you don't see detail. Just above the subjects is much better. More detail, move motion, etc. I had one where I was in a huge grove of walnut trees. I hovered around the trunks for a bit and then ascended above the canopy through an open spot. Then flew just above the canopy, and then popped back down. Very cool. I need to go back now, and do it again with a better plan.

I rarely fly very high. You're right, everything flattens out and you don't see detail. Just above the subjects is much better. More detail, move motion, etc. I had one where I was in a huge grove of walnut trees. I hovered around the trunks for a bit and then ascended above the canopy through an open spot. Then flew just above the canopy, and then popped back down. Very cool. I need to go back now, and do it again with a better plan.

Flying at high altitude can be useful if you are in the mountains. Mountains are so large they provide detail even at altitude, but as a general rule,- fly low.

Reactions: bsartist
You must had been standing up on the hill, otherwise you could lost the signal around the corner.
Anyway - very nice video.
Andy

If it's just Aerial footage then ya most people will find it boring. However, if you use your aerial footage to enhance other footage as a means of telling a story then it's incredibly powerful.

The real issue is that too many people who have no film making talent are buying drones and pronouncing themselves filmmakers. That's cool. Everyone starts somewhere, but when you see someone with actual talent use drone footage it's pretty spectacular.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel