iPad Mounting Options with Vision

Reaction score
Anyone considering using an full size iPad with the Phantom? I am. I currently have a Gen 3 iPad with Retina display and really enjoy it, I thought about picking up a new Retina Mini but I am waiting for Touch ID.

Anyway, I think trying to mount my full size iPad on the transmitter is out of the question. Currently looking at chest mount solutions.

There's not a lot out there but I found this for $39:

http://www.setwear.com/iPadChestPack.html

ipad%20radio%20chest%20pack4.jpg

I'm considering using a iPad mini, but the current Vision iOS App doesn't seem to orient to landscape on the iPad, but does on the iPhone 5, for some reason! It is an iPhone app, which might explain the orientation problem. Having said that, other iPhone only apps work ok on the iPad, although you do loose the resolution when you expand them to fill the iPad screen.

I guess it's down to DJI to bring an iPad version out.

Your find inspired me. I have been trying to figure out how to mount my Galaxy 10.1 pad to the transmitter for my preordered Vision. My Galaxy is in a case that folds over to cover the screen and the case rotates to use as a stand. If I place this front flap behind the harness for my GoPro Chesty mount and tie a line over the top of the galaxy to hold it at an angle similar to the mount you pictured it will work perfectly and with no chance of it blocking or interfering with the Wi-Fi extender or antenna on the transmitter. If you have a Chesty mount you may be able to do the same with your IPad. Thanks for the idea.

If you REALLY wanna go over the top there's this:
http://alphynind.com/store/index.php?ro ... duct_id=57

Here are some other options. Any of these options might make it hard to use the transmitter.

http://sneakotb.squarespace.com/sneakot ... d-yes.html

I went with the one listed above cuz the price was right. Here is a link to the 39 price with free shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Setwear-i-Pad-Hands-Free-Chest-Pack-SW-05-539/121170803915?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2234992200127859396%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D261278818783%26

Everywhere else it was 49-55. I'll post a video when I use it with the Phantom, assuming it ships out soon!

Shedracer said:
I'm considering using a iPad mini, but the current Vision iOS App doesn't seem to orient to landscape on the iPad, but does on the iPhone 5, for some reason! It is an iPhone app, which might explain the orientation problem. Having said that, other iPhone only apps work ok on the iPad, although you do loose the resolution when you expand them to fill the iPad screen.

I guess it's down to DJI to bring an iPad version out.

It orients fine on the iPad. The registration screen doesn't, but once you get past that you are good.

The iPad chest holder displayed above arrived yesterday. Seems like a good option. Soon as my Vision gets here I will post videos.
Also got a sun shield/shade for the iPhone when I use that instead.

Has anyone flown the Phantom from the ipad yet? Have connected it today and it all works well with no obvious time lag. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5,024
Yes I have. Just wish I had a good way to mount it. Maybe a stand for the iPad? I'm not going to be wearing an iPad vest for flying.

Shedracer said:
I'm considering using a iPad mini, but the current Vision iOS App doesn't seem to orient to landscape on the iPad, but does on the iPhone 5, for some reason! .

here's my ipad mini mounted and showing the iphone app in landscape. Although a full ipad version would be preferred, this works way better than when i tried my iphone5.
the version 2 mini mount im working on has a built in extension and the ability to use a sun shade as well even when mounted in the base plate.

few pics of the current setup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 4,911
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 4,866
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 4,928
Pull_Up said:
{aside} Has anyone with a Vision not taken a shot of their own roof? ;) {/aside}

i was actually checking the guttering - last big storm they couldnt cope and (as the Vision proved) they are full of silt and moss!!! :roll:

Studiowise said:
Pull_Up said:
{aside} Has anyone with a Vision not taken a shot of their own roof? ;) {/aside}

i was actually checking the guttering - last big storm they couldnt cope and (as the Vision proved) they are full of silt and moss!!! :roll:

If only it could scrape out the gutters as well as inspecting them... :)

Pull_Up said:
Studiowise said:
Pull_Up said:

If only it could scrape out the gutters as well as inspecting them... :)

thats what the kids are for, as i explained to them, not so very long ago we used to send them up chimneys

Tested the flight deck out today worked brilliantly! Able to fly from the transmitter that is not fixed to the deck. Having the ipad beside it and to hand was brilliant for framing the picture. Might tone down the paint job though!

Khakis there are no rights or wrongs it's a hobby which we can all play around with........ Nonsense you say ummmmmmmm ! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl