iPad goes Blank during flights all of a sudden!

Reaction score
I upgraded from iPad Mini 3 to iPad Air 2 about a week ago. It has worked descent at first but today, during 2 flights, the screen would stop moving (like a still picture) even though my quad is still moving and then the screen would go blank. After being blank for about 10 seconds or so, the Apple logo would show up like the device restarted or something. After it reboots, i then would have to click on the DJI GO app and tap Camera View and then would have control again.

I'm not sure why this is happening all of a sudden. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I upgraded from iPad Mini 3 to iPad Air 2 about a week ago. It has worked descent at first but today, during 2 flights, the screen would stop moving (like a still picture) even though my quad is still moving and then the screen would go blank. After being blank for about 10 seconds or so, the Apple logo would show up like the device restarted or something. After it reboots, i then would have to click on the DJI GO app and tap Camera View and then would have control again.

I'm not sure why this is happening all of a sudden. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Air 2 had random reboot issues a while back. I don't know the exact cause, but I seem to recall that the conflict had something to do with the GPU interacting with what was the Pilot app then.

What was recommended most often here and on the DJI site at the time was that A8 or A8X processors (like in the Air 2) should disable hardware decode in the app since those processors were powerful enough on their own.

That being said, I have an Air 2 and have flown about 1/2 the time with hardware decode on and 1/2 the time with it off. So far I haven't seen any difference, but it's worth a try for you as part of your troubleshooting.

Reactions: CONTROL FREQ
thank you Oso!

i recently enabled that feature soon after i bought the air 2.

i will disable that and report back tomorrow.

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I just turned it on and had my iPad Air 2 go black for a few seconds but it didn't reboot. I'll be turning it off now. Thanks

I've logged maybe 15-20 flights with my new iPad Air 2. Turned hardware decode on from the very beginning with no issues.

Reactions: Poundofnuts
I noticed that while looking at video feed with just the phantom on the floor and tapping my foot, with decode off there was definitely a little more latency than with hardware decode on. I could plainly see latency improved when I switch over to decode on, so that's where I have it but haven't flown to see if any problems came up doing that. I've flown only one maiden flight with decode off and an air 2 with 8.4 and I haven't updated the go app to latest yet, still one Rev back. Is the general consensus with the air to keep decode off?

thank you Oso!

i recently enabled that feature soon after i bought the air 2.

i will disable that and report back tomorrow.
No problem sir.

Just manage expectations. Like I said, I have flown with it on and off and see no difference so it may not help you. I was just relaying an issue that several had seen in the past, but as you know what works for someone doesn't mean it will work for someone else even if they have the same setup. I hope it does work for you!

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT