iPad Air 2 Amazon sunshade

Reaction score
I made my own sunshade out of a Amazon box which my prop guards arrived in what you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 429
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 441
Reactions: TnHwyman
It should work for you. I made a similar one, also with an Amazon box, for my Mini 2 since it is so bad for glare. I lined the inside with black construction paper so I couldn't see the sunshade's reflection. That was in May when it was still cool enough to use a Mini 2. Once it got too hot outside and the Mini 2 lagged, I switched to an Air 2 and have never had the need for a sunshade since the screen is so good for minimizing glare.

Last edited:
It should work for you. I made a similar one, also with an Amazon box, for my Mini 2 since it is so bad for glare. I lined the inside with black construction paper so I couldn't see the sunshade's reflection. That was in May when it was still cool enough to use a Mini 2. Once it got too hot outside and the Mini 2 lagged, I switched to an Air 2 and have never had the need for a sunshade since the screen is so good for minimizing glare.

I was thinking about some flat black spray paint and painting the outside and inside of the box then adding Velcro so hold it together.

I don't find I need a sun shield, the iPad Air 2 is very non-reflective

I have to try it again. Yesterday was my first time flying and I couldn't see anything on the screen maybe it was the angle I had it at or the time I was flying which was around 5:30 eastern time sun was going down

I installed the guards already besides over tightening what should I be careful with?

Either putting the guards on, or taking them off, pay very close attention to the screw LENGTH. If they are too long, they will go on just fine but make contact with the motor windings possibley ruining a motor, or all of them.

BTW, using prop guards other than official DJI brand voids your warranty. So, if you use something else and someday have to send it in, make sure and remove the guards and replace the original screws else they won't fix your bird. If you send it in for a screw hitting the motor winding like described above, they also won't cover it.

definitely paint it flat black inside and out. I have similar one I made from black bristleboard but still find ambient like gets in if I'm standing with my back to the sun. Best I've found is a black towel I tried over my head and the iPad Mini. Am going to rig up something to a bicycle helmet so have chin strap to securely fasten it to my head and then fasten like a folding "convertible roof" concept hinged at the sides of the helmet that can easily be deployed and retracted. Material will be really lightweight fabric like you'd find on an umbrella. Probably gonna buy a cheap black umbrella and use the lightweight metal ribs for supports. Helmet will also give me a stable anchor for my Sony action cam to mount to. Then I can do split screen videos!

How do I know if they made contact with the motor windings? I bought the same exact prop guards Irix Guy is using see the link below.

I was thinking about some flat black spray paint and painting the outside and inside of the box then adding Velcro so hold it together.
I considered flat black paint but was afraid it would rub off of the cardboard and on the iPad and my hands and then the Phantom.

Once I gave up in the Mini 2 and got the Air 2 like yours, I just turn off the auto brightness and turn up the brightness to about 95 percent. I never find a need to use a shade and enjoy not lugging one around everywhere I go.

Reactions: CHeRoKee DRiFT
I considered flat black paint but was afraid it would rub off of the cardboard and on the iPad and my hands and then the Phantom.

Once I gave up in the Mini 2 and got the Air 2, I just turn off the auto brightness and turn up the brightness to about 95 percent. I never find a need to use a shade and enjoy not lugging one around everywhere I go.

Thanks for the tip I will try this shortly

How about one of these?... :)
3b64708e22190d473f1f0306993523aa_large.jpg

I made my own sunshade out of a Amazon box which my prop guards arrived in what you guys think?
I tried that too with the box that my tablet came in... worked OK until I happened to be flying on a day with wind gusts and had one grab the box/shade and forcefully remove it from the RC... so, there I was, mid-flight with the P3A and suddenly my tablet is dangling by the USB cable from the RC and the box/shade is rolling across the field-of-flight at a high rate of speed...

I've since upgraded to a Samsung Tab S 8.4 that is #awesome with no glare and haven't had to construct another shade yet... YMMV... if you really need one, you may want to buy one that's designed to really attach well to the RC... or don't fly on gusty days...

definitely paint it flat black inside and out. I have similar one I made from black bristleboard but still find ambient like gets in if I'm standing with my back to the sun. Best I've found is a black towel I tried over my head and the iPad Mini. Am going to rig up something to a bicycle helmet so have chin strap to securely fasten it to my head and then fasten like a folding "convertible roof" concept hinged at the sides of the helmet that can easily be deployed and retracted. Material will be really lightweight fabric like you'd find on an umbrella. Probably gonna buy a cheap black umbrella and use the lightweight metal ribs for supports. Helmet will also give me a stable anchor for my Sony action cam to mount to. Then I can do split screen videos!

No need to reinvent the wheel. :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MSM88563BZX3D8N57CQ

So I'm sensing the older iPad minis (gen 1, 2) are not as bright as the newer Air? Does that include Air mini or just the Air?
And that some other brands ("Samsung Tab S 8.4 ") are better in sunlight than others?
Is there a concensus or definitive on best choice of device noted somewhere in this forum?
Otherwise I find it difficult to determine before purchase which device will work best in the full sun.

So I'm sensing the older iPad minis (gen 1, 2) are not as bright as the newer Air? Does that include Air mini or just the Air?
And that some other brands ("Samsung Tab S 8.4 ") are better in sunlight than others?
Is there a concensus or definitive on best choice of device noted somewhere in this forum?

I have an Air 2 and I went out to fly around noon yesterday and still couldn't see anything in the pad even with the brightness all the way like someone suggested.

I have an Air 2 and I went out to fly around noon yesterday and still couldn't see anything in the pad even with the brightness all the way like someone suggested.
Why would you turn the brightness all the way down when trying to see outdoors? Does that sound right?

Why would you turn the brightness all the way down when trying to see outdoors? Does that sound right?

Actually I didn't say up,or down lol but I meant to type with the brightness all the way up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl